JEM body pieces... How many pieces of wood? - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

JEM body pieces... How many pieces of wood?

Someone else started a thread which was quickly shut down by Jemsite. The question was "are all Jem bodies one piece of wood?" I followed the instructions provided by Jemsite, and couldn't find a satisfactory answer.

Hence the new thread.

I checked the "spec" page and the only info I found was:

Quote:
Body: Two-piece American Basswood (except the JEM7VWH, which is Alder)

Note from Ibanez - The JEM7VWH "has a super thin 0.5mm basswood veneer on the top and back, We do this with all alder woods because otherwise the finish would settle into the grain and have lines like a strat does in it after a few weeks. We do this with only alder wood that has a solid or metallic color on it. Just to let you know."
I know that all Jem bodies are not 2 pieces of American Basswood - as a matter of fact I lost count at about 4 pieces on one specimen. (and no we're not talking a 555 or 333 body here)

Furthermore, I "searched the forum" and came up with over 2,000 matches for the question. Can anyone recommend a more specific method for searching the forum for the answer to this question? I think this is a legit question, and am interested in learning more about this topic, as the info that is readily available doesn't seem to be reliable.

I hope this one doesn't get shut down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 01:10 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

I found 11 matches, including this DBK thread with much discussion by simply searching
"guitar body piece"
ALL terms in JEM/UV forum

Now, the the JEM7DBK body looks to be 6-pc laminated bodies, although not confirmed thru ibanez, only examination of photos.

The spec sheet is 100% accurate otherwise as per ibanez specs, barring exceptions to the rule.

I've moved/reopened the thread... glen
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 11:39 AM
Vendor

The DBK 6 pice topic is up for debate, I think everybody that looked and the pic would see it different, they just aren't crisp enough to give a 100% answer. [no, I will not be posting the pic for mass review]

But, exception, I have a Jem10th here that's a 3 piece body, only one I've ever seen.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the search info Glen, that was the question I was asking for in the other thread. I don't remember what words were specifically used to search, but I know it contained more words than the three you recommended, and I also searched all forums - which would explain the over 2,000 results. I think it would probably would have been even more difficult for a newbie.

What pictures are you guys talking about? I have no idea. I know that I've seen several Jem bodies that were being refinished, which is what led me to my conclusion that all Jem bodies are not created equally.

Call a spade a spade. The blanket comment that all Jem bodies are 2 pieces of wood is not true. This info is good info for the consumer who actually cares. However, regardless of the answer, playing and hearing a guitar is far more important than the spec info. Try one out before you pass judgement on a build spec.

I am glad to see that this topic was reopened for discussion.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 12:29 PM
Vendor

The pictures that were loaded in the laptop at Jemfest, jog my memory, weren't you there?!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

I can confirm nor deny seeing the pictures - if they do exist.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 01:05 PM
Vendor

They were there, where were you?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

I can confirm nor deny ever seeing such pics.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 09:38 AM

How many pieces of wood does your jem have?

Hi. I've been here before under a different on screen/nickname. I tried a jem "passion and warfare" model at a local music store in West Palm Beach county(North Palm Beach). I was blown away by it's tone(and I do go by tone and playability not endorsement) on all five positions on both clean and dirty. Loved the neck too. I felt like I found the Holy Grail. My jem vwh7 is a bolt on neck so it's 2 pieces.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 09:49 AM

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Please try to post in relevant topic areas.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 10:44 AM

Re: JEM body pieces... How many pieces of wood?

i make my jems out of 2 peice mahogany or 1 solid blank, i dont use basswood as it is too lite.
however its just taste, but i know some places with save some offcuts and use up to 5 peices some times.
my jem neck i have has extra bits off wood glued on for the headstock ears, i suppose its just to save money.
for example a one piece body would cost around £100-£150 a two peice maybe £80-£100
so i think its down to cost, for me i like to use more than one peice, but i like the glueing process :P
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 09:31 PM

Reviews: 11

Bumping for glory.

My dbk body is all but toast. I'll sand it down to bare wood and you guys can critique it all you want.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Bumping for glory.

My dbk body is all but toast. I'll sand it down to bare wood and you guys can critique it all you want.
What's the matter with the body? Did you get too much toe jam on it while taking a bunch of pics?!?!? Bwaaaaah haaaaa haaaaaaaa! Seriously--I'd love to see pics of it sanded down. Please keep your nubby digits out of the pics, though unless you put on that purple toe ring......

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:07 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
What's the matter with the body? Did you get too much toe jam on it while taking a bunch of pics?!?!? Bwaaaaah haaaaa haaaaaaaa! Seriously--I'd love to see pics of it sanded down. Please keep your nubby digits out of the pics, though unless you put on that purple toe ring......

LOL. dude, it's had a rough life. Its been retired. What do you think I was using for that "loch ness green" one? . Its been sanded, swirled, burned, bondo'd, water damaged, repaired, swiss cheesed enough times.....

That said, I dont really recall it being a bunch of peices... This "six peice" claim is a bit ridiculous in my head. But I may be misunderstanding. Is he saying it was this particular one that was 6 pieces or that they are all six peices?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Vendor

If you had seen the pic you could have made your own analysis, but we were pretty sure what we saw.

Tags
guitar body , jem vwh , local music store , music store

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode