JEM or Prestige - Which do you prefer? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 07:33 PM

JEM or Prestige

I have a vwh and i recently bought a 3120.
they are both sweet guitars but i think they are totally different.
the 2 configuration and the mahogany got nothing to do with the hsh and the body of the vwh
also the evos and the pafs and tz.
the necks are different too.
great guitars
not to much to compare between them
imho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 11:04 AM
rvj

JEM or Prestige

I've been considering a 3120 due to the mahogany body and different pick-ups. My only question that the dealers can't answer is pick-up wiring. The Ibanez catalog shows configurations for the H-H combo on various guitars but does not specify the 3120. I would love it to have the JS coil tapping capabilities, but I'm sure it does'nt. I own a 7VWH and DNA and both have different tones due to body/pick-up combinations. Which is where my interest in the 3120 lies, TONE! Now, if I could only find one in stock so I can actually play it and decide.
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 03:11 PM

JEM or Prestige

I like both, but to me, the way the neck is finished and overall setup on the two Prestiges that I have owned has far surpassed the factory setup on a Jem. *

The other issue is the pickups - I prefer the 3120's pickups over the Evos or the Breeds.

As far as finding a USA Custom like Glen suggested, you may be better off just dumping the $900 cash into the 3120. *Although someone may have cared for their USAC, you 'll be hard pressed to find one in "as new" condition. *Once again, the USA Customs' necks do not have that same feel that the Prestige has.

The "J" in J-Custom stands for "joke" - as in "the jokes on you" :sarcasm: *

My .02......
post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 12:17 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
JEM or Prestige

post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 12:11 AM

JEM or Prestige

So much for j-custom......

Personally I think the JEM's playability is almost o.k.

I haven't tried a 3120 yet, but how about a JS1000btb?
If you're looking for playabilty this is the one!

Although...... I really like the ToneZone on the 3120....

:loco:
post #21 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 08:28 PM

JEM or Prestige

I have to say that so far from what I have played, I prefer the JEM7VWH neck to all the other necks I have ever played...and it was even a neck with finish on it that I played on....thanks again Ron...hehehe....I love the neck on the RG3120, but I just prefer the JEM neck
post #22 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 09:18 AM

JEM or Prestige

I should go for the Prestige.
It has Dimarzio Pickups
Lo Pro Edge
the same things as a JEM and it's a lot cheaper then a JEM

Greetz
post #23 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 10:05 AM

JEM or Prestige

I don't know if I would go that far....there really are significant differences in the neck, pickups, body woods, fretboard, etc....
post #24 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 04:55 PM

JEM or Prestige

I say go for the RG 3120. It's a great axe and the price is reasonable =) But before you get it, check the RG 520QS. It's a great guitar too. It's the best bang for the buck RG in my opinion.

OT - I just got My RG770DX on the mail today. It's a 1991 model in Candy Apple Red, perfect condition, and it plays like a dream. The guy that I bought it from said that it was made in Japan. But when I got it, it says at the back that it's made in USA. Are USA RGs better than the new Japanese ones? Any comments will be appreciated.

Rock On!
guitarist x
post #25 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 08:02 PM

I think the rg3120's are a great axe. I'm in Australia and the 3120's are a special order guitar & take 4 months to get here! I was wondering if anyone else (apart from Australians) has experienced such a lengthy wait for one of these guitars? (I've waited 3 months already for mine to get here!!)
post #26 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 11:54 PM

I don't care what anyone says, I'm so into my RGT right now, I mean is it wrong to feel this way about a guitar? Can a man and guitar be happy together in all ways? What would our children look like?

RGT3120 ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES, HEAR NO LIES, BEST HO IN TOWN. GET YOUR MONEYS WORTH.
post #27 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 01:11 AM

I've gotta admit the RGT's do look sweet - especially in purple.

I like the neck-thru body as well
post #28 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 02:32 AM

Re: JEM or Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
Quote:
Answer: J-Custom
Nah... most have the same pickup limitations as a 3120, same quality at many hundred $ more. Don't think teh lettering "j-custom" on a headstock is worth that personally ... glen
Right ON... I've had one of most everything, and two of most everything else My Opinion is, J-Customs aren't that much if even better than a Jem7vwh or RGT, but that also depends on preferences. I don't think there is enought difference to warrant placing them on a podium. However I have liked certian J-Customs better than the RG counterpart.
post #29 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 11:10 PM

Definetely the RG3120!!!
post #30 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 11:57 PM
EKG

I just picked up a 3120TW for 400 bucks (another thread ;-) ) and I love the tone! I can't get as much of a variety as I do with a JEM, though.

theblackpage said it best:

Quote:
they are both sweet guitars but i think they are totally different.
the 2 configuration and the mahogany got nothing to do with the hsh and the body of the vwh
also the evos and the pafs and tz.
the necks are different too.
great guitars
not to much to compare between them

Tags
alder body , candy apple red , coil tap , coil tapping , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dual recto , evo pickups , ibanez catalog , jem neck , kjg wiring mod , mahogany body , monkey grip , neck inlay , neck shape , neck thru , pro edge , signature guitar , standard jem , tone zone , vwh jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode