JEM or Prestige - Which do you prefer? - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

JEM or Prestige - Which do you prefer?

Would the 3120 be considered an inferior guitar to the JEM in your opinion? If so, why?

I'm not planning on buying a guitar anytime soon, I'm just wondering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 10:46 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
JEM or Prestige

they are both quality axes... about the best you can expect from ibanez RG-style axes. The differences are in the pickup/config and neck shapes primarily... glen
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

JEM or Prestige

So, if ever I happened upon a wad of cash or decided to save up for either a JEM7vwh or a 3120 which would you recommend?
post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 11:04 PM
site founder 0% owner

JEM or Prestige

i wouldn't buy a new axe with 2-2 pickup configs, so the choice by default goes to the VWH here. I'd personally shop an old USA Custom before buying a 3120, but if you WANT a new axe, it's a great place to start. If you don't mind the 2-2 config and want a mahagony body axe, look no further.

The VWH will be pricier, but have a better resale down the road. Two different axes... glen
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 11:31 PM

Reviews: 5
JEM or Prestige

Hmm....you can look at my name and guess my decision. *But I have arrived at the conclusion that the JEM7VWH is my favorite guitar of all time. *It has a number of things going for it
* the flat wide JEM profile that is a little slimmer than early JEMs without being a Wizard style like the DBK

* the alder body

* standard jem conventions (monkey grip, reverse output jack)

* it's pretty...
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 01:10 AM
deleted username

JEM or Prestige

Answer: J-Custom.

:biggrin:

(J-Custom.com coming SOON!)
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 01:17 AM
site founder 0% owner

JEM or Prestige

Quote:
Answer: J-Custom
Nah... most have the same pickup limitations as a 3120, same quality at many hundred $ more. Don't think teh lettering "j-custom" on a headstock is worth that personally ... glen
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 01:30 AM
deleted username

JEM or Prestige

Quote:
Quote: from jemsite on 1:17 am on June 25, 2001
Nah... most have the same pickup limitations as a 3120, same quality at many hundred $ more. Don't think teh lettering "j-custom" on a headstock is worth that personally ;)... glen
Limitations? *Oh- like those on the CST with the KJG Wiring Mod. *
Of course...sure....

Same quality? *Oh yeah- I've seen as many 3120's with tops as nice as my CST. *
Of course...sure...

You and I both know there's a difference between the J-Custom line and the Prestiges...come on now....:-)
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 09:28 AM
site founder 0% owner

JEM or Prestige

LOL...

How does that pretty little figured top make for a better guitar again?

There aren't too many J-custom piezo 6's around, and for good reason... noone bought them ...glen
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 11:42 AM

JEM or Prestige

It is all a matter of personal taste. *Just try both of them out before making a decision and see for yourself.

I am a very proud owner of a 3120. *I love the looks, sound, and playability of this pup because it perfectly suits my style. *Personally, I'm not all too crazy about the monkey grip and I hate the sound of the Evo pickups, so I doubt that I would ever buy a VWH. *But then again that's MY personal taste. *
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

JEM or Prestige

...I think I'm leaning towards the JEM as my favorite...

I'm still not sure though!
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 05:39 PM

JEM or Prestige

Good (original) question ! I just got my first Prestige (RGPR1) and my brother got a new 3120 in the red finish. I'm a fan of the H-H config. so the Prestige series appeals to me on that issue. My RGPR1 has a quality feel that my 7vhw or dna does not have. The mahogony/maple body suits me better also.
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 05:48 PM

JEM or Prestige

Play them both and then decide.

My opinion: J-E-M
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

JEM or Prestige

I've played them both, that's why I can't decide!!
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 07:01 PM

JEM or Prestige

I prefer the Prestige series. I like their wood choices more than I like Jem's. Also, I couldn't care less for a single coil, so I also like the H-H configuration very much. It's not limited, even without the single coil.

Tags
alder body , candy apple red , coil tap , coil tapping , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dual recto , evo pickups , ibanez catalog , jem neck , kjg wiring mod , mahogany body , monkey grip , neck inlay , neck shape , neck thru , pro edge , signature guitar , standard jem , tone zone , vwh jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode