Jem/UV catalog differences - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By jemsite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Jem/UV catalog differences

I have recently bought a ‘99 UV777BK. Looking at the catalog I have found some info about this model and other Jem models that I would like to get clarified by any expert:

1. Searching on the web, most UV777BK models have silver pole pieces; mine and the pics found on the catalogs are black pole pieces. Aftermarket modification? Ibanez or DiMarzio changed specs but Ibanez maintained an okd pic for the catalog?

2. Initially catalog states that frets on the UV are “Large” (different from Jumbo) but at some point they started to say frets are “Jumbo”. Have they changed the measures over the years? Do you know the origin and size in case of a refret eas needed? Found an old thread in which member Jemaholic thought frets were Dunlops 5120’s. Any one with a caliper can confirm that?

3. I have a Jem ‘00 7DBK myself which is a superb guitar. In the catalog it says that all of the Fuji models are made of American Basswood except the 7DBK which was mede of “Basswood”. I know that when it was released there were pictures showing that it may be manufactured which several (5-6) basswood pieces, but it was a rumour at the moment. After years of playing with that axe I have not found any differences in (bad) tone nor (bad) reliability compared to my other Alder or American Basswood made Fuji Jems/UV apart from the lower weight. In fact the tone provided by that guitar equiped with the Breeds pick-ups is stunning. Do you have any picture or info that confirm/denies that? Should I search or hear tonewise anything that I have not already identified due to the different basswood origin? Do you know were the non-American Basswood came from that first years of manufacturing ‘99-‘02?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 09:30 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Jem/UV catalog differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyansal View Post
I have recently bought a ‘99 UV777BK. Looking at the catalog I have found some info about this model and other Jem models that I would like to get clarified by any expert:

1. Searching on the web, most UV777BK models have silver pole pieces; mine and the pics found on the catalogs are black pole pieces. Aftermarket modification? Ibanez or DiMarzio changed specs but Ibanez maintained an okd pic for the catalog?
Not sure but Ibanez tends to reuse artwork, especially as it's doctored for print. But the original UVs were with black poles. All the NAMM axes had black pole pieces. Unless someone who purchased/sold a model that came factory with silver poles i'd consider it a user modification or factory modification (silver pole BlazeII sent for whatever reason). Hopefully someone can fully clarify.

Quote:
2. Initially catalog states that frets on the UV are “Large” (different from Jumbo) but at some point they started to say frets are “Jumbo”. Have they changed the measures over the years? Do you know the origin and size in case of a refret eas needed? Found an old thread in which member Jemaholic thought frets were Dunlops 5120’s. Any one with a caliper can confirm that?
I've always baselined the industry pseudo standard "Jumbo" (large, wide/tall, etc.) is...
Warmoth 6150
0.103" wide
0.046" tall
18%

Dunlop 5120
0.114"
0.051"

I'm very, very confident very very few could identify the fret in a double-blind study differing in 5 thousands of an inch after installation/leveling on a fretboard. A human hair is on average 0.001" for reference. In other words it's a mental obstacle (obsessing over frets is absolutely imposing restrictions on yourself i.e. putting oneself in a cage).

Quote:
3. I have a Jem ‘00 7DBK myself which is a superb guitar. In the catalog it says that all of the Fuji models are made of American Basswood except the 7DBK which was mede of “Basswood”. I know that when it was released there were pictures showing that it may be manufactured which several (5-6) basswood pieces, but it was a rumour at the moment. After years of playing with that axe I have not found any differences in (bad) tone nor (bad) reliability compared to my other Alder or American Basswood made Fuji Jems/UV apart from the lower weight. In fact the tone provided by that guitar equiped with the Breeds pick-ups is stunning. Do you have any picture or info that confirm/denies that? Should I search or hear tonewise anything that I have not already identified due to the different basswood origin? Do you know were the non-American Basswood came from that first years of manufacturing ‘99-‘02?
Tonewise you're good, these don't have thin nitro finishes. The thick fill, finish, clear renders smaller details moot. The body pieces is unknown until confirmation from Fujigen or multiple xrayed bodies or stripped finish axes. We can speculate they used multiple pieces to save cost given the finish that was forthcoming. Makes some sense but either way is moot to tone IMHO. Japanese company with outsourced labor with no obligation to inform anyone.

I thought the 7DBK was an excellent axe especially with the Breeds & low cost. Enjoy!

Last edited by jemsite; 06-18-2018 at 09:36 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

I've always baselined the industry pseudo standard "Jumbo" (large, wide/tall, etc.) is...
Warmoth 6150
0.103" wide
0.046" tall
18%

Dunlop 5120
0.114"
0.051"

I'm very, very confident very very few could identify the fret in a double-blind study differing in 5 thousands of an inch after installation/leveling on a fretboard. A human hair is on average 0.001" for reference. In other words it's a mental obstacle (obsessing over frets is absolutely imposing restrictions on yourself i.e. putting oneself in a cage).

I have other guitars with Jumbo frets that I don’t like (RG, Jem 90th Ann, Jem 555) because they feel wide and round to mye, but this large frets on the UV are narrow, taller and square on the top, quite different to the 6105’s I’m used to, but similar to the 6100’s okd Jems had. I like them very much.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 12:21 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

how they feel is not 100% based on the actual wire dimensions. You're comparing the crowning/dressing more than anything.
nienturi likes this.

Tags
basswood , frets , jem , pole pieces; dimarzio , universe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode