Jem77FP plastic inlays - Were they ever paper? - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Jem77FP plastic inlays - Were they ever paper?

For a long time, I thought that the green inlays in the Jem77FP and Jem7VBK were paper. *But the Jemsite says that they're plastic. *Were they ever paper?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 12:35 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Jem77FP plastic inlays

the pyramids are colored paper under clear plastic. the colored vines would likely be done the same way... glen
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Jem77FP plastic inlays

Thanks Glen, I was beginning to think that I had read it on Ed Roman's site. - Andy
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2001, 06:56 AM

Jem77FP plastic inlays

Somebody else might want to check or compare this but I could swear the inlays on the BFP neck I sold to Simon had plastic blue insert's down under the clear fill.......

I never saw the same *used on any of the green vine's though.........
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2001, 09:28 PM

Jem77FP plastic inlays

It sucks buying a high end guitar like a Jem (not counting the 7VWH) and having paper and plastic inlays.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2001, 01:34 AM
site founder 0% owner

Jem77FP plastic inlays

Quote:
It sucks buying a high end guitar like a Jem (not counting the 7VWH) and having paper and plastic inlays.
Why does this suck? Does it make the guitar any less playable or asthetically displeasing to the eye? ...glen
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2001, 05:09 AM

Jem77FP plastic inlays

no but I was shelling out $1,600 on a Jem or UV (witch I will be soon ) then I'd at least want something other than plastic....I know abalone is too exspensive....but they can at least try to make the plastic look more like abalone or something. It's always the little differences that set apart people and places and things from others.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2001, 08:48 AM

Jem77FP plastic inlays

Where is one suppose to find Abalone or any other natural material for that matter in the colours of the neon variety?

I don't think that it sucks at all, I love my jem77fp just the way it is! Killer Axe! Heck even the JPMs were made with paper under the clearcoats!

Nice guitars

Chris.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2001, 11:15 AM

Jem77FP plastic inlays

Quote:
Quote: from jemsite on 12:34 am on June 10, 2001
Why does this suck? Does it make the guitar any less playable or asthetically displeasing to the eye? ...glen
Not at all, Glen, I just think it would make a great guitar even better and more worthy.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2001, 03:13 PM

Jem77FP plastic inlays

Paper or plastic, sir? No thanks, I'd like to take my groceries home in an abalone bag please with mother of pearl handles. Seriously, the wacky color schemes of Vai's earlier guitars were only going to be available in a plastic or paper with an overlay. If we want to pick on "bang for the buck" I would rather focus on the amount of clear filler that they end up using. The inlays could be a lot cleaner, and I don't like that the clear filler is so deep. A shallower inlay with less of a clear swimming pool on top of it would look better to me. But colored plastic or paper is really the only good way to get the neons he wanted. The issue of using a solid color plastic inlay rather than a clear covered one is possibly related to the fact that when sanding the fretboard at the factory, the plastic dust can get smashed into the fretboard. If it's maple, you'll see it. But plastic doesn't suck. Sucking would be if the inlays were done poorly so they broke loose and fell out of the fretboard, or if they were off center of the neck. You know, things like that. The materials chosen are just that, materials chosen for the job at hand.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 01:19 AM
site founder 0% owner

Jem77FP plastic inlays

Tags
bfp neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode