jem7v - first time buyer - newbie help - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

jem7v - first time buyer - newbie help

hi, im about to go jem hunting in various shops. I tried some RG's already and a 7vwh which was a very nice guitar, just the feel of it was great. anyway, before i go speding a hell of a lot a money, can somone tell me the major differences between the jem7v and an RG550EX for example. On paper they are very simular in spec. I know the jem feels a lot nicer. I havent had a chance to turn one right up and see how they compair then, so i suppose thats wot im relying on you guys to tell me. So basically can somone gimme teh low down

Cheers

Al M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 09:21 AM

jem7v - first time buyer

oh boy.

where to start.

It's true that the Jems were/are long lost grandchildren of the RGs. *That's about where the similarities end.

Better wood (alder), better fretboard (ebony), better pickups (Evolutions), better Bridge (Edge)...and that's the mechanics ~ the stuff that really matters - I won't even get into the aesthetics.

If you have the money and you don't mind the gaudy look of the guitar, it's a no-brainer between the two 7v and an RG.

~K
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 09:54 AM

jem7v - first time buyer

Quote:
kennydoe on 9:21 am on Nov. 30, 2001
Better wood (alder), better fretboard (ebony)
*AHEM*

Different, not better or worse.

The main differences will be the pups, difference in attention to details, neck profile and the chintz!

Have a play with each and see what you prefer.

gl

Steve
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 10:12 AM

jem7v - first time buyer

Quote:
kennydoe on 9:21 am on Nov. 30, 2001
oh boy.

where to start.

It's true that the Jems were/are long lost grandchildren of the RGs. *That's about where the similarities end.

Better wood (alder), better fretboard (ebony), better pickups (Evolutions), better Bridge (Edge)...and that's the mechanics ~ the stuff that really matters - I won't even get into the aesthetics.

If you have the money and you don't mind the gaudy look of the guitar, it's a no-brainer between the two 7v and an RG.

~K

Alder - If it's better, why cap it with Basswood,oh yeah...to stop the finish from CHECKING!!!!!!!
EVO's - OK...you got us there, these are better pickups.
Edge - Haven't seen one of these on a JEM since the early 90's. (Pssssssst....the RG5xx models still use the Edge trem). Besides, no difference between that and a Lo-Pro.

Now I say all this with a :biggrin:, because I know the difference between an RG and JEM. But when you boil it down to what makes these guitars, guitars,...there isn't much of a difference.

IMHO, what makes the JEM a "Better" guitar is the amount of HUMAN time spent on the guitar during production.

J>:thumbsup:
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 11:51 AM

jem7v - first time buyer

And all that being said...

The RG is absolutely a better value. *easy enough to transplant p'ups. *If I didn't have the cash for what i consider to be the overpriced 7v, I think an RG with Evo's (or evo & paf) would come darn close to the sound at less than half the price.

He asked the differences.
~K
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 02:29 PM

jem7v - first time buyer

I would say, get a used jem for less than what a new RG costs and get a better guitar !! *
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

jem7v - first time buyer

Some very usefulk, ifnot mixed opinions here! cheers anyhow, the proof of the pussing is in the taste and im off to try em all tomorrow. Cheers anyway

Al M
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 02:57 PM

jem7v - first time buyer

Wow. *I'd like to set some things straight before I post my opinions on the subject.

1. *In no way are JEMs the grandchildren of RGs. *Back in '87 Vai designed the JEM body shape with Ibanez. *Ibanez then stripped all the quality from the JEMs and cam up with the RG. *So in reality the JEM is more the grandfather of the RG.

2. *Lo pro IS an Edge with a modified lower profile, thus the name. *Both trems are the best in my opinion, with a slight nod to the lo pro for its less intrusive more comfortable design.

3. *I don't care what you do to an RG it will never be in any way comparable to a JEM. *Unless its a J or USA custom or a nice prestige. *Even the "high end" RGs (I use the term loosely) with the edge trems aren't in the same planet. *The woods aren't Ibanez's highest quiality, you'll never see ebony or a fancy inlay on an RGs nevermind the abalone on some JEMs. *You'll never see decent stock pups on an RG (excluding the customs), nor will you see comparable construction quality even on the Japan RGs. *And there will certainly never be any where near as much asthetic beauty.

With that being said, buy yourself a JEM. *Or at least if you go to the music store and see one, DON'T PLAY IT! *Whatever you play after that will not compare favorably. *Play it only if you intend on dishing out the cash, or oyu'll just be dissapointed with whatever you settle with.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 03:23 PM

jem7v - first time buyer

Quote:
BigDaveJem7 on 5:57 pm on Nov. 30, 2001

3. *I don't care what you do to an RG it will never be in any way comparable to a JEM. *Unless its a J or USA custom or a nice prestige. *Even the "high end" RGs (I use the term loosely) with the edge trems aren't in the same planet. *The woods aren't Ibanez's highest quiality, you'll never see ebony or a fancy inlay on an RGs nevermind the abalone on some JEMs. *You'll never see decent stock pups on an RG (excluding the customs), nor will you see comparable construction quality even on the Japan RGs. *And there will certainly never be any where near as much asthetic beauty.
I have to disagree with you on this one BigDave. *Have you ever played the RG770DX? *The one with the maple fretboard and matching colored sharkfin inlays? *Or the RG1200? *I know Glen has raved about how nice his RG1200 is. *Both of these guitars play just as good if not better than a Jem. *The neck profiles may be different, but the feel is just as nice. *They are both H-S-H also with the 5 way switch. *The pickups in both these models are very comparable to the Jem's. *The ones in the 770DX are Ibanez PU which were made by Dimarzio. *I know you can pick up used RG770DX's on Ebay for $400-500. *
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 03:37 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
jem7v - first time buyer

lets argue JEM vs RG instead of :bash:ing each other.

There are exceptions to every rule, so with that said i tend to agree with BigDaveJem7 for the most part.

90s: UCEW/USRG/J-Custom/Prestige/RG1200/JEM/sigs

- - - - - - quality drop *- - - - - - - - -

90s: RG770, 565, 560, 550, etc

Some 770s were dynamite, especially the early ones handled in the USA, but since the AANJ came out, the RG 7xx/5xx models have been very ordinary (good, utility guitars, nothing irreplacable).

The RG1200 (photos on a clear day) is more a transitional/test model IMHO since it had the AANJ (like UCEWs) whereas the same year RG770, 550 and other lower drek had the klunky old heel and body. It was a transition guitar that should have remained forsale for a long time.

Still the RGs are a great value, especially used ones... glen
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 09:23 PM

jem7v - first time buyer

JEM7VWH! *No more, no less. *You will not regret getting one....and if you do, I know someone who will buy it from you! *:biggrin:
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-01-2001, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
jem7v - first time buyer

My current main player is an RG770DX in candy apple red. It's very close to a JEM77, direct mounted pickups, clear scratchplate rear route etc. I do miss the extra wood on the neck these days but that's from spending a lot of time with a JS6. I've no real complaints about playability or tuning stability. And I'm really enjoying the bound maple neck.

The pickups are up there with the rest of the DiMarzios They *have a very 80's early 90's rock tone, great for Van Halen/Hagar sounds which I like. Some would call it "dated" but that's their loss.

Admittedly I'd like to have seen the RG1200 on sale for longer, but I can't stand the finsih on them. I think it looks a little too much like the old RT series . This could have been rememdied by say matching the headstocks and having different colours. (preferably either a natural maple or some solid finishes).

But when all is said and done I have a JEM 10 and to me, that plays better and feels better and sounds better and looks better than anything else out there. Andersons. PRS. Melancons, even Ibanez Custom shop whatever .... Full Stop. Period. End of dicussion.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-01-2001, 10:03 AM

jem7v - first time buyer

Coming from someone who's played both, the 7V is superior although the 5 is still a quality guitar.

The 5XX neck is a little thinner (wizard). The JEM neck IMO is nicer and more comfortable because it is slightly bigger but is still as "fast" as you can get.

If you want to save some money then you can replace the pups and you've pretty much got a killer guitar! (The stock pups in 5XX aren't perferred by most)
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-01-2001, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

jem7v - first time buyer

well i got a 7v now anyways i think we willl get on well!!

thx for all help guys.

Cheers

Al M
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-01-2001, 07:19 PM

jem7v - first time buyer

Congrats AI M!
You made a wise choice

Tags
basswood body , body shape , candy apple red , custom shop , direct mounted pickups , edge trem , edge trems , flamed maple , ibanez custom shop , jem neck , killer guitar , les paul , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , mounted pickups , music store , sharkfin inlays , slant cab , steve vai , tone zone , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode