Keeping the neck in tip top condition - What to use? - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Keeping the neck in tip top condition - What to use?

Could anyone tell me the best way too clean the neck of my RG 550 (Maple fingerboard). I want to keep it fast!
I have seen products like Fast Fret and I'm wondering if it is a good product and if it does any damage to the neck or fingerboard.
Is lemon Oil safe to use on my guitar neck and fingerboard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 12:22 AM

Reviews: 3
Keeping the neck in tip top condition

Lemon oil is safe.

Endust cleans great.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

I live in Scotland and do not have a clue what Endust is?

Would you advise using Fast Fret?
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 12:33 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Fast Fret is safe to use on the strings and keep them silky smooth. Endust is just a "furniture polish" with no wax and is safe overall... glen
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Is fast fret just for the strings or can you use it on the fingerboard as well?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 12:39 AM
site founder 0% owner

fast fret is typically used on the strings, it helps reducing friction and is safe. While some peopl use various oils and other remedies on the fretboard, sometimes the best solution is to simply wipe the neck/fretboard clean after playing and do nothing more ...glen
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Do you know what finish is used on the neck and fingerboard of the RG550. I have only owned it for 2 weeks and it is the first quality guitar I have owned therefore I want to ensure it lasts and keep it in as good a condition as possible
Will lemon oil stain the neck in anyway?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 10:22 AM

Glen,

On a semi-related topic, did you change your neck care for the guitars that spent more of their life in the case than in your hands? *Just wondering if the neck wood could ever become too dry to sustain it's health!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 10:54 AM
site founder 0% owner

Not really. I've never used lemon oil on any guitar, just endust on occasion when changing strings to clean the board. Some of this is climate related, and being in NJ, there is no real temperature/humidity problems that could damage the wood. *I also subscribe the 'less is more' natural wood theory... add things to wood only when you have a reason. I never believed that saturating wood with random oils can improve upon it.

Many experts debate this topic, so ultimately i think it's best to find out what is suitable for each of us...glen
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 03:15 PM

Reviews: 2

True, climate plays a very big factor in the neck life. If its a dry climate you'd better keep that thing oiled.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 09:54 PM

This might seem like a totally dumb question BUT Can someone explain to me what 'LEMON OIL' and 'FAST FRET' are? I have read ALL the posts but no one really explains what they are, what they do and if they are worth using!
I have looked at FAST FRET in the local Guitar Store but it does not really explain what it is and if it can do any negative things to my beautiful guitar. *
I AM REALLY REALLY
Could some nice kind member PLEASE explain this issue in a bit of detail. :cheesy:
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 10:04 PM
site founder 0% owner

for more details do a web search on 'lemon oil'. That is simply an oil that reconditions and moisturizes wood. Found in any hardware/paint store. Fast fret is a 'string lubricant' product that is the brand name. Works very well as I've stated, since it use it daily. Keeps the strings clean and gunk free and is safe... glen
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

I bought Fast Fret the other day and it really does make a difference. I didn't realise you had to use it every day though! It cost £5 and doesn't look as if it will last too long. On the box it actually says you are meant to put it on the fingerboard as well but I'm not too sure about that.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 10:34 PM
site founder 0% owner

i use it before playing. When done, after i wipe the guitar clean, i put it on as well. Seems to keep the strings healthy... glen
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, it really does seem to make a difference.
Are you careful not to get it on the fingerboard or do you put it on the fingerboard as well?
Will it not build a layer in time if it is constantly being applied?

Tags
beautiful guitar , fast fret , maple fingerboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode