lemon oil? - Page 3 - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 09:48 PM

Talking Re: lemon oil?

Pennzoil 10w 30 for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 08:03 AM

Re: lemon oil?

ive played guitar for 13 years and used this lemon oil since day one.clean the neck with oil then wipe neck with dry cloth leave for hour or so the neck on my 11 year old jem is still the same as the day i bought it
post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 07:42 AM

I've heard good things about Fret Doctor.

Any users care to comment?

Rock on!
post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowman1969 View Post
ive played guitar for 13 years and used this lemon oil since day one.clean the neck with oil then wipe neck with dry cloth leave for hour or so the neck on my 11 year old jem is still the same as the day i bought it
If you have a rosewood fretboard I would suggest that you continue to do this often now that you have been doing it awhile. The citric acid in the lemon oil will break down the natural oils in the rosewood causing it to dry out and crack. as long as you keep oiling it you should be fine but should you get lazy and leave it sit for say a decade, you may have a very unpleasant surprise. Secondly, I have a 41 year old Fender mustang which has NEVER seen any type of oil whatsoever and the fretboard is still in great shape.
post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 11:38 PM

Great with Balsamic Vinegar and a dash of cracked pepper - try it on your greens.........
post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 12:24 AM

Hello I'm new here, but I want to add to the discussion. I work for a guitar company and we use lemon oil on all of our guitars and basses, no matter what kind of fretboard it may have. We generally just hold a rag over the opening, do a quick dash, and that's enough for the whole fretboard. That way you don't over saturate it and the thin layer doesn't dry it out too much.
post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 03:56 PM

I have heard food grade mineral oil works well?
post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 01:54 AM

ancient chinese secret......

1 parts wd 40
1 parts denatured pure alchohol

another part lemon oil

technique
use lemon oil to semi saturate dont rub in just spray over gently, no poling

use a cloth soaked with well mixed even mixed 50 percetn wd40 and 50 percetn denatured alcholhol

this works very well and tends to
1. pentrate and condition the fretboard
2. the second mix, as u rub off the lemon oil and clean the fretboard, it also
1. uses a slight oil barier(wd40)
2. as the alchohol dries it also acts as a surface catalyst with the wd40 and seals the pores on teh surface

later that week as you play, youll see the difference in fretboard care and how long ti lasts, when most all just dry up even if u use lemon oil, wich dont get me wrong is tottaly suitable for unfinished fretboards

also this technique ..is also a proprietary ingredient in the process that the dunlop fretboard conditioner, cleaner, etc.....they sell

wich is also very good for your guitar if u wana just buy ready made ****
post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 05:36 PM

I used lemon oil since 15 years . genteelly.

Or just water with tissues. But it will take a long time.

losgatosrg350dx , WOW thants scary, I wont tried this on a 1000$ guit.
post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 06:16 PM

i have been using Dr. Ducks Axe Wax for years and love the effects. often the rosewood boards look better than when they left the factory. very fast feeling too.
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 03:26 PM

so many openions i am dead confused!!
post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 01:53 AM

Reviews: 2

So, what is the conclussion?? The original question was if lemon oil was the best for rosewood fretboards.

So let me ask again: What's the best oil (or oils) for rosewood fretboards? Are there any secondary effects when using this oils??
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 03:04 AM

I used lemon oil llike 4 months back and i like my dark fretboard. Looks great, doesnt feel different. Also used Dunlop Fretboard Conditioner. I like all its effects but never noticed any change in the playability. Just looks great. Didnt hear different either
post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 05:40 AM

Since I purchased my first bottle of Gerlitz Guitar Honey I never looked back ! Simply the best board conditioner IMHO available for unfinished rosewood, pao ferro ... Not easily available in Europe though, and Gerlitz doesn't ship internationaly, so everytime I hit the US floor, some bottles fly back with me to France.

If you are in the US I seriously suggest you check it out !

http://www.gerlitzusa.com/prd_honey.html

(no, I have no connection to that company)

post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 09:53 PM

Well actualy it humidifies the fretboard on your guitar making shure it doen't crack,ware off or simply if it gets to dirty cleens it.I do not recommend it if you have a varnished maple neck or just a plain old maple fretboard because maple is very humid wood and has less tendencies to dry out.For me it does miracles i recomend it to andbody with a ebony or rosewood fretboard.

thanks alot for listening and hope you buy it as soon as you have the chance.

Tags
clear coat , ebony fretboard , ebony fretboards , finger board , guitar shop , koa body , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , rosewood board , rosewood boards , rosewood fingerboard , rosewood fretboard , rosewood fretboards , steel wool , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode