lemon oil? - Page 4 - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:42 PM

Reviews: 25
Re: lemon oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal4Ever View Post
I've heard good things about Fret Doctor.

Any users care to comment?

Rock on!
Yep been using since I purchased guitars with rosewood fingerboards, and it has been discussed on jemsite alot.

By far the best product for rosewood. Bore oil, fret doctor = same thing..

fret doctor is the way to go...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'll still stand by bore oil, and I'd never put anything on a fretboard that "dries hard".

Can you point me to a good brand of bore oil? I've always used lemon oil once every 6 months on my rosewood (and ebony), but this bore oil sounds interesting...
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Vendor

I've been using Fret Doctor, only because everybody was raving about it so it's more selling point than I think it's any better.
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:20 PM

Reviews: 25

i havent heard of any other bore oil brand, so untill its pointed out, its all I know....

I have purchased from this site and its all legit..
http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 01:09 PM

The best stuff I have found is "Guitar Honey" by Gerlitz, very smooth, not too greasy, and lubricates/shines the fretboard admirably !

Too bad they don't ship overseas and don't seem to be distributed in Europe (they don't know on what money they are missing out !)

Taking a couple of bottles home everytime I am in California - I definetaly suggest you guys in the US check it out and give it a try !

Cheers :-)
post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 07:31 PM

Reviews: 15

Duck wax, isnt that better or worse? i use lemon oil too,,
post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 11:25 AM

I make quite a few guitars, and i also use lemon oil to get the fretboard nice slick and oily. tip: only use a few drops onto a cotton pad or something similar, wipe on .... wait a few minutes and wipe off with some elbow grease put into it, if the board is still oily wipe off again untill slightly damp.
like i say i use it on rosewood and love the results, but to much can cause affects in the wood and some fretbuzz even so dont go overboard.
post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 11:00 PM

I didn't realize there were so many approaches and controversies! For what it's worth, I've always had good luck with plain lemon oil marketed for furniture on my rosewood boards--I apply a tiny bit, let it soak for a few minutes, and rub off the excess.

And I'm a fan of tung oil on necks, but I suppose that's a topic covered in other threads...
post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 06:21 PM

I have used olive oil and teak oil, to me they both make the guitars feel better and keep the wood from drying out so they are OK.

Cant see any great need for lemon oil, I have a Yamaha APX SPL I thats 20 years old, I dont play it much now but the wood is still in great condition. Years ago I just used to use whatever cooking oil was in the kitchen and it looks fine now.

Tags
clear coat , ebony fretboard , ebony fretboards , finger board , guitar shop , koa body , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , rosewood board , rosewood boards , rosewood fingerboard , rosewood fretboard , rosewood fretboards , steel wool , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode