locking nut tuning problem - string retaining bar all the wa - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

locking nut tuning problem - string retaining bar all the wa

On my JS1000, when i lock the nut, the e string pulls sharp.
This would be an obvious problem. But when i lowered
the string retaining bar, i went as low as possible and
its still happening. what should i do next?
the nut already has a factory shim under it, and
its set at the perfect height for the strings on the neck,
but can i get a slanted shim to raise the back of
the nut to solve this problem?
or could this be something else?

thank,
mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 12:58 PM

Reviews: 3
locking nut tuning problem

generally when you put that added force on the string (via tightening the locking nut) it will pull sharp. *At least, that's how it usually is for me. *That's why there are fine tuners. *
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I can accept a little pull to sharp, but this
goes a quarter step sharp only on the low e.
the other 5 strings change hardly at all.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 02:32 PM
Vendor

It's typical. All you have to do is leave it a 1/4 step flat before you lock down. Not rocket science!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 03:34 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
generally when you put that added force on the string (via tightening the locking nut) it will pull sharp. *At least, that's how it usually is for me. *That's why there are fine tuners.
I disagree. If you set the retainer bar properly, the string should NOT go sharp at all.

In fact, if you study the mechanics of the locking nut, you'll see with the clockwise tightening of the pressure pad, the torque could pull one string will slightly sharp, and the other string flat, since each pressure pad effects two strings. The low-E could pull sharp, while the A pushes flat. This only happens if the nut is worn/sloppy, pads worn, of if you overtighten slowly allowing the pressure pad to rotate. Investigate further... glen
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 03:46 PM

There must be something wrong. After tuning the guitar, tightening the locking nut screws shouldn't really affect the tuning.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Well I guess if Rich says it's typical, I'll have to live with it.
Never had the problem with my jem, though
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 08:34 PM

The locking pads have a rounded inner side. Make sure this is lined up with the rounded top of the nut. Also, make sure the nut is tight to the neck. You also may have the string retainer TOO low, which woud cause tuning problems.

J>
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 10:24 PM
Vendor

Diferent nuts are set at diferent hrights, as Glen said just screwing down the retainer usually stops this, but some just don't have an answer. A couple of my JS's are like that and I really never think twice about it, I'm too busy futzing with everybody elses stuff. I just leave the low e a few cents short and it all works out
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 10:30 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Diferent nuts are set at diferent hrights, as Glen said just screwing down the retainer usually stops this, but some just don't have an answer. A couple of my JS's are like that and I really never think twice about it, I'm too busy futzing with everybody elses stuff. I just leave the low e a few cents short and it all works out
*TRANSLATION *- i'm a slacker technician who doesn't mind using the fine tuners as a workaround
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 11:35 PM

If I may say so... the likely situation is that the locking pad is a little 'loose' in the pad slot of the nut. And hence, as it's being locked down, there is that twisting action that's allowed by the extra room of the pad slot. That would pull the Low-E sharp, and that string will show that quite quickly in terms of how many cents it goes up. Does the A happen to drop a bit, to go along with that?
I assume that all locking nuts have this to some degree; my solution is simply to pre-pressure rotate the locking pad in the slot enough that it can't twist (or not much) as the screw pressure locks it down. This really minimizes how much the strings are pushed/pulled.
Another important factor to watch for; never overtighten those locking screws - that'll cause exaggeration in the tuning tweaks of the lock-down procedure.
=]
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 12:00 AM
Vendor

OK, absolutely true when it comes to *my* guitars. I've got 6 I kept from last year I haven't even had time to clean and change the strings yet!!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 01:07 AM

I've the same problem with one of mine, but my problem is obvious, the nut is a POS, and the slots are so worn that even with the retainer buried in the headstock, the strings still do not rest in the proper place.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 01:32 AM
site founder 0% owner

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 09:55 AM

yeah, what rich said!

Tags
locking nut , locking nuts , retainer bar , retaining bar , string retaining bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode