Need help picking out a good guitar. - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Need help picking out a good guitar.

Hello, I'm fairly new to playing guitar, (8 months of playing at the moment) and at the moment i have an Epiphone G-310. it's been good suiting me thus far, but I've been looking for a guitar with a better crunch and an all around better sound. I have looked at the RG350MYE and other RG's, and they seem to be nice. I also looked at the X series such as the XPT700XH, and im not sure what would be the best for my money. I can spend up to about 900 or so, but that would take a few years for me to save up. I play metal and rock, and I'm just looking for a good guitar really. Another thing I'd like in possible suggestions is for the guitar to have a tremolo, I would like to be able to dive. Looks are not as important as a good buy is. Thanks for the help!
Birzerker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 12:31 PM

Re: Need help picking out a good guitar.

Hey there! Maybe the JS100? I would recommend a PGM301, but then you would lack a trem so...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 08:01 PM

My whole outlook on playing changed in 1989 when I picked up an Ibanez with the original wizard neck. It is so thin and easy to play. It made me a better player because it was easy to hold, easy to play, had awesome sound and so fun it made me want to practice more.
Using the right tool for the job is important. I had Les Pauls, Washburns... but they were all too heavy for where I was playing. It hurt to hold them that long. I've been advertising for Ibanez ever since.
There's a lot of good guitars out there, and you'll need to find one that fits you and your music style. I would recommend that you can find it in the Ibanez lineup.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 08:12 PM

Reviews: 10

any older ibanez really is going to be ten times better then the korean made crap that is being produced right now. I say crap because I've been spoiled with numerous ibanez musician models/Radius/saber/power models/roadstar/and even a 79 iceman, not to mention a couple of nice prestige models which aren't crap but are newer. If I were you I'd look for an old RG or saber...Also for better tone try to find something mahogany and neckthrough, just my personal fave for tone.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintyoursky View Post
any older ibanez really is going to be ten times better then the korean made crap that is being produced right now. I say crap because I've been spoiled with numerous ibanez musician models/Radius/saber/power models/roadstar/and even a 79 iceman, not to mention a couple of nice prestige models which aren't crap but are newer. If I were you I'd look for an old RG or saber...Also for better tone try to find something mahogany and neckthrough, just my personal fave for tone.
I agree totally. I didnt want to turn this into a classified ad, but I'm going to list a mint 1989 RG570 on that popular auction site tomorrow or Sunday. Five Alarm Red, original wizard neck- wicked thin and straight as an arrow, super low action, shark tooth inlays, Floyd Rose double locking tremelo, no paint chips, immaculately preserved and all stock. Five Alarm Red looks similar to a neon reddish orange, it nearly looks like it could glow in the dark. It's probably the finest guitar I've ever played.

I also have an Iceman but I'm going to keep it as long as I can.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 11:13 PM

try js100
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 04:27 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintyoursky View Post
I hate to say this since I just got a new ibanez, but I agree. I have an old Japanese one and it's much different. Heavy, solid, and the tremolo feels like platinum compared to my Edge III. The only thing with the old one I have is that the color is outrageously girly now that the 80's are over. Ok, they were always girly but that was OK in the 80's.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 11:22 PM

Reviews: 1

Believe it or not, RGs are pretty versatile. I'm in a band where I play Jazz Fusion and Iron Maiden in some setlists. The pickups are a balanced output, and the trem stays in tune about 85% of the time. (I'm not as much as a trem abuser as some.) They're great for many kinds of music. I have an Ibanez RG5SP2. It's a ltd. edition RG that's built like the EX1, but it has a silver finish and a silver pickguard.

Tags
advice , buying , ibanez , new to guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

TCS guitars
2 guitars and 1 amp
jem guitars
"et guitars"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode