Original Edge 411 - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Original Edge 411

Ok, My guess is that this topic has likely been covered, if not a number of times over, so I apologize in advance and so I'd appreciate any redirects or links to what I'm about to ask but basically my question is very simple.

I need a replacement Original Edge.

I'm a newb, as far as working on guitars, and the-bay seems loaded with a lot of mis-described tremolos.

What is the model number for the Original Edge? BR-1939?

What is a br-1926?

Where else, besides where I already mentioned can you all recommend as a place to purchase an original edge tremolo kit?

What is a good price to pay for a good condition, reliable used unit?

Any other advice or info is obviously very appreciated.

Again, sorry if this thread is inappropriately tedious for those of you who are much more experienced, both with this forum itself and Ibanez Original Edge trems.

Thanks a lot everyone.

I am in the process of putting together a bit of a mutt of what will basically be an rg-560.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 06:40 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Original Edge 411

You can buy a brand new one from Rich at Ibanez Rules (banner at the top of the page). It is pretty pricey, but if you want new its the way to go. Model numbers are on the site too. I think, from a recent thread here, that the BR numbers are not Ibanez part numbers, but eBay listing numbers.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Lonephantom.

I think I'd prefer to go used, only because it's cheaper, obviously.

Are there any functionality issues with worn/corroded used trem bridges/systems as long as they are generally structurally sound?

At $275+ for a lot of these trems, new and used as well, you're almost getting into the territory where you could get a used guitar loaded with the tremolo youre seeking for less than 50% more than the cost of the trem alone. Seems kinda silly to me.

So that's why Im thinking used as of now, I'd rather put $300 toward a guitar at $400-$500 with whatever trem system already installed...I dunno...I understand the marketplace is the marketplace but I'm a bit perturbed to see the price of a new or good condition used Original Edge is equal to nearly 2/3's of the cost of an entire functioning guitar loaded with one already: ridiculous.

I've seen around a few places that Ibanez Edge Pro's are compatible with guitars that have Original Edge routing- Anyone know anything about this?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 07:30 AM

Reviews: 120

Yeah, an Edge Pro will fit an Edge route. It's a slightly smaller bridge.

Depends how bad the corrosion and stuff is. If its just minor you should be fine. You can polish corrosion away to reveal a chrome finish using a metal polish like auto-sol.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 02:48 PM

Hello guys,
I have a problem with my original Edge. When I press the tremolo arm down everything works fine and the tremolo comes back in tune. But when I pull the tremolo arm up the guitar doesn't come back in tune. The tone stays a little bit too high. I have to press the tremolo down or make a bending to get it back in tune. I have more Ibanez guitars with the Edge but just my new Jem has this problem. I don't want to send it back to the factory and get it back with dings, dongs and scratches ;-). I've tried to change the tremolo springs, I've tried different strings and I've tied up all the screws. The mystery is that every Edge System on my guitars is working fine but just one has this problem.
Excuse me for my english I'm german. Thank you for your answers.
Marco
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemarco View Post
Hello guys,
I have a problem with my original Edge. When I press the tremolo arm down everything works fine and the tremolo comes back in tune. But when I pull the tremolo arm up the guitar doesn't come back in tune. The tone stays a little bit too high. I have to press the tremolo down or make a bending to get it back in tune. I have more Ibanez guitars with the Edge but just my new Jem has this problem. I don't want to send it back to the factory and get it back with dings, dongs and scratches ;-). I've tried to change the tremolo springs, I've tried different strings and I've tied up all the screws. The mystery is that every Edge System on my guitars is working fine but just one has this problem.
Excuse me for my english I'm german. Thank you for your answers.
Marco
Have you checked that the screws holding the nut to the neck are tight?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 06:32 PM

Yes they are. Thank you
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 07:26 PM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode