Pickup Mixing!! - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Cool Pickup Mixing!!

Hey on this new Carvin im getting I hear the pickups will suck. So im thinking of switching them out(if when it gets hear the pickups live up to the bad expectations). But I was thinking how would it sound with a d sonic 7 in bridge to give it that huge chugg. A d activator 7 in the neck to give it a harsh activ-ish neck. And then mixing a blaze middle pickup for that unique high. Just an idea i could always go with a regular setup. But I was going to get your guys feedback on the idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 10:53 PM

Re: Pickup Mixing!!

Sounds like you are getting a 7 string Carvin . I love my Carvin, but people do tend to not like the pickups. First, give the stock pickups a chance. If you decide you want to change pickups, I would also recommend swapping out the volume and tone pots. Carvin uses linear taper pots for some stupid reason - you want audio taper pots. Also note the Dimarzio recommends a 500K volume and a 1M tone pot (that's the setup that they base their tone ratings on) so I'd go with those values.

For your possible pickups choice, I think you would find the D-Activator7 in the neck too loud with the d sonic 7 in the bridge. It is rated at almost the same mv output and leans towards treble (as a neck pickup should, but that will make it seem louder). I like the choice of the d sonic 7 in the bridge, but maybe you should match it with the liquifire that it was designed to accompany. You could go the D-Activator7 route, but you may have to back it off a bit more from the strings than you would otherwise.

Tags
pickup mixing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode