POD vs. J-Station - which ones better? - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

POD vs. J-Station - which ones better?

Looking to pick up a POD or J-station for living room headphone amp and to bring to band practice. *Which one is the better deal? *I have a big set up and its a royal pain in the butt to bring to practice. *Its also a pain to bring out of my studio to play in front of the TV. *(my wife likes the idea of me being able to practice with headphones). *Also, it would be nice at 2am to be able to record w/o waking the neighborhood. * Which unit sounds more authentic? *thanks

(Edited by oooo at 8:10 pm on Jan. 28, 2001)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 08:24 PM

Reviews: 2
POD vs. J-Station

I don't know what a J-station is but POD's are real good.

I always think that there is a lack of treble thru the phones tho
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

POD vs. J-Station

the j-station is the Johnson version of the pod. *
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 11:17 PM

POD vs. J-Station

If you really want to know and HEAR the difference, go here:
http://www.dthraco.com/podvsjs.htm

Then you can decide which fits your style better.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

POD vs. J-Station

great link! *Thanks, now I can AB without spending any cash! *Thanks again
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 12:50 AM

POD vs. J-Station

Definately POD...most definately. J station just sounds really digital to me, I also heard from my local rep that Johnson was made by digitech.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 02:20 AM

POD vs. J-Station

I personally think the J-Station sounds 'tighter' than the POD... Not really better, just different...

I love my J-Station, and am thinking about getting a Johnson amp (probably the JM60)... It's all personal taste..
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 03:24 AM

POD vs. J-Station

I'm using my POD for headphone practicing and it gives great results.
I also connected it to my Marshall dual revrb combo in the return chain(direct to poweramp) and it gave great results.
There are also a lot of patches on the web that help you find great sounds
Ex http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...d-patches.html

Lars
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 06:05 PM

POD vs. J-Station

Johnson, Digitech, DOD, Harman Kardon, and Infinity Speakers are all made by Harman Int'l
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 10:21 PM

POD vs. J-Station

You can add JBL and DBX to that list too.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 02:16 AM

POD vs. J-Station

I have owned my J-station for a few months now and I love it. It took a wee while to get used to it but now I use it all the time. I would definitely recommend it.

(Edited by Coolstu at 2:18 am on Feb. 13, 2001)
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 09:39 PM

POD vs. J-Station

The J-Station ROCKS! :biggrin:
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 03:38 PM

POD vs. J-Station

I love my Pod, and use it for everything!!! I've recorded bass, vocals, keys, everything with it, and the guitar sounds really do scream. * There are samples everywhere on the net, but very few samples of other instruments recorded with it (it has a tube preamp setting.) *I have some songs at www.mp3.com/lock7 that can demonstrate this. *(hmm, how 'bout that for shameless self promotion )

One caveat however, switching patches can be slow...There are things that can be done, I really find that microsecond pause between patches to be unnerving, but you may not even notice it.

I don't know how the Jstation fares on the patch-switching front, but it is something to check out.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 03:34 AM

POD vs. J-Station

Hey Guys... I was looking in Internet
And I didn't find a J-Station Site....
Thats Why I started the First one...
Please come and send me your Picture and Patches and Stuff and we all make the Site... to help oneanother

I like J-Station it's more controlable and you can do much more....
the Pod is like a SUMMER LOVE the first week *you are in love with it and then you don't go any way with it....

I have tryed the Line 6 like 3 or 4 times and it dosen't really say much if you know already the J-Station

If you don't know a Chocolatte-Cake,
Old-Bread is greate....
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 02:38 PM

POD vs. J-Station

Now that I am a POD owner I can speak about what I personally think it’s shortcomings are.

IMHO, They should not have put the EQ pre-compression. Almost any amount of low end causes the compressor to clamp down hard and obliterate the higher notes. I also dislike the center frequencies of the EQ. With high gain models the low chugs mud out real bad. I roll the bass knob off all the way and approach the tight sound I want on the low string chugs, but I am loosing the bass. If I back off on the gain the higher notes lack the tone and sustain I want.

I like the pedal board and the ability to stomp through many user-built presets. The wah is more expressive than on my real amps. It is very convenient to carry around, of course.

I think the POD will probably remain in the roll I purchased it for. It’s a great practice tool and easy to set up for recording scratch tracks when writing. For serious recording I will stick mics in front of my Legacy/Marshall combo with my small herd of stomp boxes and crank up the volume.

Never tried the J-Station for a long period of time… just in the store. I was not impressed with the high gain tones at that time, but will admit that I spent very little time messing with it.

Tags
backing track , clean tone , dual rectifier , fender twin , high gain tones , pedal board , stomp box , tube preamp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode