Re-setting Neck - my ibanez neck is slightly off alignment - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Re-setting Neck - my ibanez neck is slightly off alignment

Does anyone have suggestions for resetting a mis-aligned neck? The high 'E' is falling off. I've installed kit necks before but not one with holes already drilled. I have considered drilling out the old holes and installing dowel plugs. But I'm looking for something less radical, like filling the old screw holes? With what? BTW, the guitar is new, purchased form Musicians Friend for cheap. It's just for gigs, so I can beat on it. It's under warranty but sending it back to MF then to Hoshino & a month or 2 later getting it back doesn't thrill me. Any ideas would be helpful, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 12:02 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re-setting Neck

make sure the NUT is centered first. Assuming the high-E is off by the upper fretboard... there is often some play in the pocket where it can torque causing this. I would first try to loosen the neck screws (4) a half-turn or so. looking at the neck joint (rear body) you will move the neck so to eliminate the problem, then retighten the screws. If the pocket is cut right and stable, it should hold.

ALternately you could stand the body on edge (lower horn to body) and use leverage to position the neck as you tighten it. It is easier than it sounds here. Anyways try that before redrilling. It is a rarity the neck/body is drilled wrong... glen
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Re-setting Neck

Thanks Glen, I'll give that a try. The nut is centered, it's more off near the body.

Tags
neck joint , neck screws , upper fret

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode