replacing a trs2 w/ an OFR - ...can i do it? - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

replacing a trs2 w/ an OFR - ...can i do it?

an Original Floyd Rose can directly replace a Lo-Trs II, right? *i thought i remembered seeing this somewhere. *i know the edge doesn't fit w/out some routing... *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 01:29 AM

replacing a trs2 w/ an OFR

I've replaced my TRSII with a Licensed one from WD. It should the same for the OFR. Should be a direct replacement. Only thing is you want to check the what the trem block looks like.. might need to get rid of some wood on the sides.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 02:01 AM

You should not need to remove any wood, just throw it in.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 02:47 AM

Noodles.. it depends on which company manufactured the floyd, right? Mine had the block rubbing against the side on my RG. I think that some manufactures may not have this problem.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 04:54 AM

Only licensed floyds very(ex. edge vs. trs) but correct me if I'm wrong their is only one version of the ofr hense "original".
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 12:52 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

It should fit directly. That said, I would confirm a return policy on the new tremolo in case there is a slight incompatability and it doesn't fit perfectly... glen
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

ok, thanks. * they offer original floyds from carvin too, but i'll check out WD and see who has the lowest price. * * i was also thinking ebay, but then there's that return policy... * * *i'm also not sure if it's worth $160, or if i should just sell this guitar and buy an RG5XX. *
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 05:23 AM

Go for the RG by the time you throw in the trem and then probably something else you will have upgraded to an RG price range anyway.....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 01:43 PM

Reviews: 5

If you're also a JEM player, I'd recommend keeping it and tossing in the OFR. *I did this to my RG450. *I like the RG-450s better because the neck profile is very similar to the JEM moreso than the Wizard on the 5xx. *So I just tossed in the OFR I had in an old guitar and plays great and looks even better. *Chrome is so much cooler looking on a blue guitar than black.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 10:21 PM

TRS and edge tremolos are japanese and korean, so their messurements and specs are all in metric. Floyds are american so their specs are in imperial. The specs are slightly different. I suppose you could switch, the difference (width and whatnot) would be slight but it is enough to throw the intonation out a little. So I say switch to an edge.

Replace parts for an ibanez is a bitch because most companies that sell individual parts are american and so it won't quite fit onto metric Ibanez'.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 12:14 PM

Just keep your TRS-2 and get a Tremsetter (whichs comes on the jem7v) and keep your cost down to $50. lol
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 06:33 PM

Hi guyz

I am a newbie in this page, I mean I have just registered here. This page is cool a lot specially 'cuz tons of people know a lot here about guitar setup and maintenance, and you can make your own lutherie in your home just thanks to the aid of people around here....

That's why I am here, I have a little (big) problem. I have a RG 470, with a Lo-Trs tremolo since just a year and my tremolo knives have lost its superficial hardener material. In other words, my tremolo goes out of tune after every touch on the tremolo bar.

I have some questions for you, I hope you can solve this problem, 'cuz I am trying sum solutions, but there are not very nice (for example, applying Teflon to the pivot studs, it slightly works but tone losing is still there, and the solution is cool just for a week....). I want to know if I can repair the knives, and how to do it. Is there some kinda paint or enamel to use on it? Or a temper on the base plate must be done?

Either having or not any solution, I have another question: if I ever want to change my tremolo for a Floyd Rose, I have been reading here in jemsite I can change Lo-Trs for an Original FR or into a Floyd Rose Pro without making any changes. Is this information right? You know, I don't live in U.S.A. (I live in Spain), so the Floyd Rose tremolo systems have kinda higher prices here, so I don't want to take a bad step. And I read here that Floyd Roses have a defect in their design, which makes knives to be crushed earlier than Ibanez Edge for example. Does it mean that Floyd Rose tremolos are not worthy? And what are the differences between an Original and the Pro Floyd Rose?? Which one is recommended to fit my Lo-Trs?

Please, answer me here or to [email protected], thank you very much!

Kpullowan

Tags
base plate , edge trem , floyd rose , floyd rose pro , floyd rose trem , floyd rose tremolo , trem block , tremolo bar , tremolo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode