Rumor of UV777BKs with misaligned tremolos - neck pocket or - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Rumor of UV777BKs with misaligned tremolos - neck pocket or

*Today I noticed that the distance between the High E string from the bottom of the fretboard is slightly less than the distance between the Low B string and the top of the fretboard at 24th fret on my UV777BK. Is this normal with UV777BKs?

*I remember reading a review by someone who said there was a batch of UV777Bks with misaligned tremolos. I wondered if mine had such a problem. Mine is quite new (Built in March 2001).
*Is the rumor true and if it is am I a victim of this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 03:34 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Rumor of UV777BKs with misaligned tremolos

This can be two separate issues.

You can spot the misalligned trem posts on any guitar by visualizing that the knife edge is not centered or near centered on each post. With the UV777BK (and any Edge equipped guitar) the post on the low-E) side will be the one to look at, since the high-E post is curved to stabilize the trem and prevent lateral movement.

If one e-string is closer to the outer edge of the fretboard, it can be from the above or other things, notably the neck not installed 100% perpindicular to the tremolo and the strings not appearing symmetrical up the fretboard.

Keep in mind the low-B is .021 wider from center of the nut than the high-E sits... so it invariably will sit closer to the edge of the fretboard. Many prefer this since the normal tendancy is to pull down with the fretted hand, thus you'd like more clearance on the high-E side so not to pull the string off the fretboard... glen
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 04:14 PM
Vendor

To fix just loosen the neck screws a 1/2 turn and hold the neck in place while you retighten.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Is it ok to do it with the strings on or should I take the strings off first?

BTW I noticed a tiny gap between the neck and the point where the lower cutaway meets the neck. I can insert a .016 G string in easily.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 04:37 PM
site founder 0% owner

if you do what Rich said, you should do that with the strings on, eyeballing the correct allignment. There usually is enough play to correct it, but also examine that the nut is centered to the board and trem post allignment is ok... glen
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 04:40 PM
Vendor

Neck pockets should have a little gap, the neck isn't supposed to be 'tight' in the pocket. It's also not supposed to be a sloppy loose pocket, but yours is fine.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

It worked!!! Now the High E .009 has approx. 3.1 mm of clearance at 24th fret from the edge of the fretboard. (measured with a 3.0 mm allen wrench)

You guys are the saviors of us, you know that don't you!

Thanks guys.

(Edited by Courjan at 11:57 pm on July 18, 2001)

(Edited by Courjan at 12:02 am on July 19, 2001)

(Edited by Courjan at 12:03 am on July 19, 2001)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 05:01 PM
Vendor

:small curtsey: Come on Glen, just don't let them see your panties like last time! :biggrin:
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 05:09 PM
site founder 0% owner

:laugh: ...glen
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 08:12 PM

I don't know what you're talking about...Mine seemed fine when I got it...Oh well. *Humans can make mistakes...

Tags
allen wrench , equipped guitar , neck pockets , neck screws

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode