String-Locking Screw Head Twisted Off! (RG50DX) - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy String-Locking Screw Head Twisted Off! (RG50DX)

The main reason why I joined this site is to find an answer to my question. How do you remove a screw that has had its head entirely screwed off? As you all probably know, the RG350DX's bridge is made with soft metal and so it can easily be broken if not taken care of properly. This is the first guitar that I got with a locking tremolo and I made the mistake of screwing the low E string's screw too tight to the point where the screw head completely comes off and is almost flush with the back of the bridge! I didn't pay any attention to this because this happened after putting on a fresh set of strings and since it was on the low E, it would be a while before it would break. That was 6 months ago and now I'm concerned that my E string is close to breaking (I extra wind all my strings so I don't have to put new ones on when they break). Any answers would be awesome.

The bridge in question...

The broken screw...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 11:14 AM

Re: String-Locking Screw Head Twisted Off! (RG50DX)

First, six months!?? You haven't changed strings in six months and that doesn't bother you? You think they are good until they break? Hope you've had your tetanus shot. Strings are dead after hours not months my friend.

And to answer your question, its called a screw extractor.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

You might also want to visit the tech section at ibanezrules.com
Rich has a great guide to help people avoid problems like this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Vendor

The easiest way to fix it is to put a new saddle on. A screw extractor will cost as much as a new saddle and most likely won't remove the screw anyway.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:52 AM

Jezebus Dick, if I said that you shouldn't set your guitar on fire you would come up with a reason why you should. Quit trolling every post of mine.

Screw extractors are $2. And then yo have it to use on other things. Or buy a saddle from Rich you will never get installed because you have a broken off screw in your bridge.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Vendor

If that was directed at me then you're the one that's a Dick.

The extractor set I bought was $32. I'm sure your $2 deal is a high quality tool though. But let's not forget, he's also going to need a center punch, a drill, a very sharp bit, and a vise to hold the saddle in, things we might take for granted, but not things everybody will have. Then consider this is a compression break, not a mating break which is what extractors are most effective on. It took lots of force to break the head off that bolt compressing the lock block, more torque than can be applied with an easy out most of the time. For all those reasons I recommend spending $25 to replace the saddle and be done with it in 2 minutes, instead of spending more, dealing with far more aggravation, and most likely never get the bolt out in the end. And forget the fact, he's still needs to buy a new bolt anyway!

The string lock screw he broke isn't the saddle lockdown screw, there is nothing to keep him from removing and replacing the saddle, very easily.

Now stop acting like a prick when giving your holier than thou advice and acting like everything and everyone is beneath you.

Last edited by Rich; 11-06-2011 at 04:09 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 07:18 PM

if any of the screw is sticking out on either side---use a fine hacksaw blade and cut a slot in the screw, then use a flat blade screwdriver to remove it. Just a suggestion
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 07:25 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The easiest way to fix it is to put a new saddle on. A screw extractor will cost as much as a new saddle and most likely won't remove the screw anyway.
This to the 10th power!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
First, six months!?? You haven't changed strings in six months and that doesn't bother you? You think they are good until they break? Hope you've had your tetanus shot. Strings are dead after hours not months my friend.
LMFAO!!! String companies LOVE suckers like you.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcord View Post
LMFAO!!! String companies LOVE suckers like you.
totally true... strings are WAY too bright the first 24 hours... gets great for a month or two... then just flatout DIES.

Tags
bridge , edge , edge 3 iii tremolo , ibanez , rg350dx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode