Swirl paint jobs. - .... - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Swirl paint jobs. - ....

I know you all seem to love this paint job...but does anyone else agree with me when i say i think it is stuck in the 80's and should be left behind with that era? I mean i would buy a DNA..if i was rich...only because of what it is...

I dont know ... to me it seems cheesy. I like the UV777BK style (not just because i own one) and the JEM7VWH.....and the BSB....

anyone else agree or will i be enternally bashed for stating my opinion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 12:21 AM

Swirl paint jobs.

Thing is, they came out in the 90s.....
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 01:19 AM

Swirl paint jobs.

Gaveup, Don't give up. It'll grow on ya.

From a certain perspective I agree with you. I love black guitars. :biggrin: Black and chrome is even better. Swirls are kinda' retro, but they have a life of their own that transcends eras and labels. There's just something about the random, individuality of each swirl that is attractive. Retro or not, the art seems to stand on it's own.
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 07:40 AM

Swirl paint jobs.

The thing is, I don't care from what era the swirl came from, I just know that it looks cool. Love 'em!

I agree with that black and chrome go beautifully toghter, I mean look at the JEM10TH and UV777BK! Sure would like to get my hands on both of them. To bad I don't have the cash! But someday they will be mine. Oh yes, they will be mine!

Peace,
Joel
Alien Water Kiss Website
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 10:03 AM

Swirl paint jobs.

To me, swirls are like tie-dyed clothes from the 60's or those jewel-encrusted cowboy boots everyone was into in the 80's. I can appreciate them for what they are and for the craftsmanship and creativity that went into their creation, but would i be caught wearing 'em?

No way.

But that's just me.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 10:22 AM

Swirl paint jobs.

So Darren, are you gonna’ laugh at me when I wear my Jemfest 2K t-shirt and my jewel encrusted, Steve Vai ****
boots to Jemfest 2K&1? :biggrin:

Maybe I’ll get some beads and a headband as well. LOL
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 10:48 AM

Swirl paint jobs.

I know what ya mean.. at first i couldnt stand the idea of them .. but its been about 8 months that ive been comming to this site and now i find myself looking for a UVMC...
go figure...
actually i turned all my other guitars wood color and staind...
buzz
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 10:56 AM

Swirl paint jobs.

I still say Ibanez should use my Vai-dye JEM idea. Tie-dyed fabric applied to a JEM body and headstock ala the FP. Now that would be groovy bay-bay. :biggrin:

* * As far as the swirls go, I like them very much. I think it boils down to personal taste and not so much the decade from which it came, IMHO. *I agree with Bob in that it's an art form that stands on it's own regardless of current trends. It's not something that appeals to everyone but then again, what does?
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 05:53 PM

Swirl paint jobs.

I like the swirled finishes I have seen. *I don't like them enough to have someone swirl a custom axe for me, I'd rather wait until Ibanez releases an affordable (<2500$ list) swirl with AANJ.

Till then, I'll just have to wait... That is unless DNAs suddenly decide to lose value.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 07:09 PM

Swirl paint jobs.

Just had to add my opinion. *Swirls rule man!!! *I love them, I think they are the best finish I've seen on a guitar and I think the DNA's are some of Darren's best work ever!!! *I also like the old crackle finishes on the old washburns and BC Rich's. *Ok, so the guitars weren't great (BC Rich's) but they had some frickin awesome finishes!!! *Just so ya know, I'm not some middle aged guy going through a midlife guitar crisis, I'm 23 and stuck in the '80's. *I also think some of the best hairstyles and cars came from the 80's man. *And I love the women of the 80's. *Am I a freak? *Maybe, I don't care, I know what I like and I like the swirls!!! *If I could afford it I'd have Darren swirl my car man!
Just my opinion
Jeremy
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 07:47 PM

Swirl paint jobs.

Though I tend toward the tried and true with the cosmetics on most of my guitars (my tele and strat are white on CAR, for instance), Ibanez guitars just scream out for something more! I've got a floral Jem and a Loch Ness Green Universe and think they're way cool! I'd buy a swirl in a minute if I found one I could afford - and same goes for any Fender Strat in bowling ball finish I happen across :biggrin:
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 10:54 PM

Location: Ft Lauderdale-Fl....oh man...women...women...women...
Swirl paint jobs.

I think the swirls add that extra unique-ness to the JEM/UV line, that is already there. How often do you see a guitar you can carry like a suitcase? Not often. How often do you see one with Walt Disney vomit clear-coated on? Even less.

Each one is a total work of art, (with the exception of a few MKR's....).

I look at it as adding art onto art. I'd LOVE to own a UV77MC, I bust at the seems thinking about it...I really hope I'll have the chance to own one someday.

The JEM and UV line is so unique without the MC finishes, adding them on just makes them all the more special.

And, as stated above, it CAN'T be an 80's finish because they made their appearance in 91' I believe...(No MC finish was Pre-90's).

Everyone have a lovely holiday season with lots of fun, family, humor and best of all, warm, sweet love making.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 12:35 AM
Vendor

Swirl paint jobs.

GRAPHICS RULE!!! But unlike most graphic Ibanez' (USA Customs, JPM's, etc.) where each guitar still looks just like the next, swirls are 1 of a kind. You can have 10 DY's, but why? They all look the same! You can have 10 swirls and have 10 DIFFERENT guitars. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there are those that just don't like swirls, for whatever reason. (I say, more for the rest of us!)
This DNA run is dangerous though!! I want to keep almost all of them, and I don't think my house is worth enough!!! The swirls on the DNA's are just soooooooo good, seems like everybody that get's one wants another!! There is so much drool power in these things there's a permanent puddle on my floor The added complexities of the reds in the mix create a much more mature palet that definately hit the nail on the head. And as if the swirl wasn't enough, the hue that's constantly eminating from the pickguard is so subtle yet adds to the overall picture. Then I went to put one away the other night and even though the room was well lit, the fretboard inlays were just glowing. Man is that soooooo cool!!

Relax, I still love my Donnies too!!
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 01:12 AM

Swirl paint jobs.

Rich dude! Stop that!!! You're making me drool now. Dang. Now where's that mop......

I too am one that's all for swirls. The first swirl that stole my heart was the '92 (I think it was 92) catalogue GMC.

But I can understand why gave up would think 80's when he saw one. Is it just me or were there more "pointy" guitars in the 80's......hmmm.

Anyway, that's just my 2.3647 cents,

Wil..
Not On Monday
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 01:20 AM
Vendor

Swirl paint jobs.

That 92' catalog GMC (AND PMC) just kills me everytime I look at it. The worst part is I know where it is, dead mint and on display, but it will never be for sale

Tags
fender strat , ibanez collection , ibanez guitars , loch ness green , music store , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode