Using Modes - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Using Modes

When playing in, say C, would you use modes that contain all the same as C and center your playing around the new mode key (like A in Aeolian) or do change modes to one that's not diatonic to the original key?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 12:02 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: Using Modes

Any one Correct me if i'm wrong, but I use modes that contain C (If we are talking about the Diatonic Modes) Like; E Phyrigian, F Lydian, G Mixolydian, A Aeolian, B Locrian, C Ionian, D Dorian. But, if I got What your Trying to say here Wrong Sorry, You can Center your Playing around the Chords your Playing, Like the 1 and the 5 ( C + G ) if its C Major, but you can use any of the Notes like the 2 and 6 (D + A) Over C major. Just as long as it Fits, But I would Wait till the Pro's Reply as I am Learning Still.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 03:09 AM

Reviews: 1

MODES! Mysterious Mode!

Here is how I explain:

Modes are a "major scale" starting on different notes of that scale.

KEY C
Ionian(major): C-D-EF-G-A-B-C
Dorian: D-EF-G-A-BC-D
Phrygian: EF-G-A-BC-D-E
Lydian: F-G-A-BC-D-EF
Mixolydian: G-A-BC-D-EF-G
Aeolian(minor): A-BC-D-EF-G-A
Locrian: BC-D-EF-G-A-B

Here's the catch. If you are playing a song in the key of C (chords = C-F-G)
and you move up your neck and play a scale pattern that starts with the F note - this is not playing in "F Lydian".

Playing in modes is really based on the "root" tonality. You would need to play a chord progression based in or rooted in or that resolves to F to be in F Lydian. A progession like F-C-Dm.

So, your playing CHORDS that all fit in the KEY of C and you are playing ALL of the notes in the key of C......BUT you are in F Lydian becuase your tonality is resolving back to F.

Now - analyze the differnce between F major and F lydian. There's only ONE note different B vs. Bb. So F major has a Bb and F lydian moves it up to a B natural (#4). So in reality it's not much different but the #4 is a really powerfull shift in notes.

Try it - you'll like it.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 09:15 PM

i also have a problem applying these.. how can i improvise to sound like one mode and make it sound different from each other... for example i hear a guitar solo on E minor and it sounds minor and not a G major, how do seasoned musicians do it?? i know for a fact that G major and E minor is relative but how can i make them sound the way they are?? how can i make all these modes sound like they were meant to be, as i was observing the song "for the love of god" by steve vai, i noticed that there an F# note but is used sparingly but everytime steve hits that note it sounds minor to my ears.. how did they do it i'm really mystified on how they do it.. are there rules on what notes to play and not to play when it comes to using modes or other scales??

Last edited by VAustin89; 07-12-2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: additional question
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 09:27 PM

Didn't really understand your qustion but if you're trying to get modes to sound different from each other it should be as easy as playing the proper notes for that mode.

The reason that Em sounds different that G major (even though you are soloing with the same notes) is becuase your root is Em. If you play Em/Am/Bm and solo with all of the notes in the G scale - it will sound like a AEOLIAN/minor mode.

Here is a great practice:

Based on no sharps or flats (key of C) - how many modes contain the chord Em?

ALL OF THEM!

So create a rhythm track and just play over and over an Em chord rhythm.

No practice playing every KEY of C mode that I listed in the previous post.
This will give you an idea of what each mode sounds like.

All sound pretty good - Locrain is a bit weird.

Good luck!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 09:46 PM

can you suggest songs that has that uses every mode?? so i can distinguish how they actually sound..tanx for that input i'm going to do that..
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 10:02 PM

Not off the top of my head but you could Google and find many I'm sure.

Just remember - a mode is just a KEY - don't over complicate modes.

If I say hey lets jam in C major - you could probably do that. I will play C-F-G and you will solo in the key of C - we sound great.

If I say hey let's jam in D dorian - you can do that too! This time i will play Dm-C-Am-G
and you will AGAIN solo in the key of C. Just make sure you are resolving to Dm and follwing the chords.

So just like Am is the relative MINOR to C major. D dorian is the "relative dorian" to C major.

This stuff is a bit tough to explain in a web post. But realize in my first post - all of those scale modes ARE EXACTLY THE SAME NOTES - just like C and Am.

HTH!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 10:15 PM

well i dont have a guitar to grab here, i was imagining on how it would sound.. in your D dorian example Dm-C-Am-G, and a solo is played on D dorian, i guess it would sound dorian because the of the chord progression.. Ryt??

i also notice everytime i play for example an E minor pentatonic shape then add an F# it sounds very "minor", but when i add a C to it, it loses the "minor" sound?? is it my ears are not that good or is there an interpretation in music theory that can explain it??
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 10:29 PM

The progression AND your dorian scale. I think of a Dorian scale as a #6th.
So it's a MINOR scale with the 6th raised 1/2 step.

Play it on the A string 5th fret:
G--------------5-7
D--------5-7-9
A--5-7-8

Same thing as Dm except for the raised 6th.

Concerning your Em example: it's your ears. You gotta get used to the minor sound:
----------------------12-14
------------12-14-15
--12-14-15
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 10:48 PM

when playing modes do every notes gets played?? i have read that some notes are not being played because it loses the character of the mode, is this true?? and does a specific set of notes inside the mode create the character of the mode itself??
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 10:57 PM

well - technically if you leave the same notes out all together - it would be a different scale.

Remember your Em pentetonic and E minor - same thing minus 2 notes. So if you play an Em scale and decide to leave out the 2nd and 6th - you're technically playing Em pent.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 06:50 PM

True

Tags
improvisation , mode , modulation , theory

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode