What Guitar Strings do you use? - Page 4 - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 356 (permalink) Old 10-02-2001, 02:43 AM

What Guitar Strings do you use?

D'Addario on electric, of course....9-42-53 for JEM/UVs....Elixir acoustic strings....Nanoweb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 356 (permalink) Old 10-03-2001, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Quote: from ANOVA on 4:50 pm on Aug. 28, 2001
Do any of you mix strings for your 7-string??? I like the DR - strings but i want a 54 gauge seventh string...So I'm thinking about buying six string DR-strings and just add a Ernie Ball custom 54 gauge...What do you all think????

-Mike
Yep, I have those ernie balls and whatever .52 the shops will sell me, so I do mix string's all the time, depending on what they've got as spare seperate strings.
post #48 of 356 (permalink) Old 10-17-2001, 07:55 AM

I have an ibanez RG 570 and i use exclusive ernie ball 0.09 super slinky

Awesome strings

Seeya

God bless you all

Pedro Miguel
post #49 of 356 (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 07:38 AM

I'm with YaYo Gak and Jester700. *Elixirs are fab strings and now they have the much thinner nano web. *It's a shame they don't polymer coat the the plain strings though. *However, another company produces a *suspension that is wiped over the strings via a handy applicator and this coat the strings in an ultra-thin protective layer of polymer. *I've used it for a while and it does seem to work (can't remeber the name). *However I'm blessed with perspiration that seems to have a neutral pH and my strings last for months! *The break before they corrode

Anil
post #50 of 356 (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 10:13 PM

Years ago, i played Dean Markleys, which were okay, but i never really found them extraordinary in any way. I experimented with Ernie Balls, D'Addarios and Blue Steels, but when i tried GHS Boomers, my search was over. They're my favourite sounding string, bar none. I'm tempted to try DR and Elixirs, but i'm so pleased with the Boomers, i don't really see any need to change, other than to get added life out of the Elixirs.

I use 9-42 on all of my electric guitars (all 6-strings) but i'm toying with the idea of moving up to 10's, but don't want to lose any clarity.

I'm also going to try the GB-LOW Boomers set, which is 11-53, and geared specifically toward dropped-tunings. I'm going to experiment with exactly how low i want to go. Ideally, i'd like to go down to B, but i'll see where i end up. Basically, i want the heaviest strings i can find that have an unwound third string.

(edited to add some info)

(Edited by darren wilson at 10:15 pm on Oct. 19, 2001)
post #51 of 356 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 09:20 AM

D'addario 009 - 046
post #52 of 356 (permalink) Old 01-28-2002, 04:13 PM

In the old days D’Addario made many of the strings that other companies slapped their logo on, so I have always been of the opinion that there wasn’t much difference between many of the brands. I have discovered that I was sorely mistaken.

I have used EB .009’s or 10’s on my Universes because they were the easiest to get locally. After putting D’Addarios on my UV777PBK and finding that it felt and sounded superior. More like my MC, which was strung with D’Addarios by Rich, I have changed my opinion.

Maybe it’s all in my head, but they sure seem like springier strings to me.
post #53 of 356 (permalink) Old 01-28-2002, 05:19 PM
Vendor

I love the way D'Addario's feel, but they are about the buzziest strings you could use. If you compare them to a set of DR Tite fit's you'll see what I mean. Just the DR's don't feel as good
post #54 of 356 (permalink) Old 01-28-2002, 07:31 PM

Well, I’m all for feel man… Since my tone sux anyway.

I hear ya’. I guess I need to check out some different brands of strings. Things have changed since the 70’s.
post #55 of 356 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 01:27 AM

when i used .009s, i played with boomers religiously, because they were the only string i had a hard time breaking (im notorious for breaking strings). since ive blocked my TRS, i went to .010s and switched to blue steels. sound nicer, last longer. *it took me a month to break a string (last night actually). before with the boomers in .009, i would break my A string every other night. once i get my edge, im going to set it up for 10s and try fender 150s fender 250s, D'addarios (i hear they are nice n soft for bending), and of course, Earnie Ball's. *But for the moment, im a blue steel man.
post #56 of 356 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Rich on 5:19 pm on Jan. 28, 2002
I love the way D'Addario's feel, but they are about the buzziest strings you could use. If you compare them to a set of DR Tite fit's you'll see what I mean. Just the DR's don't feel as good
say, what are DRs anyways? id like to try a set to see if it cuts my buzzing at all.

thx!
post #57 of 356 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 03:43 PM

UPDATE!

i got sick of driving 30 minutes to get my boomers or my blue steels. the local shop only carries d'addario. so i stoped in today and lo n behold he had a rack of original EB slinkys. so, since i changed out my tuners today, i threw some slinkys on. *melts* i have found my new current favorite strings. they arent very loud, crisp i guess, but they are bright enough and sound REALLY bad ass with overdrive or distortion.

i play 10-46's
and if you havnt yet, do yourself a favor.

<<EDIT>>
Update #2!

i had 10-46 slinkys on for ONE day, and i already broke a string. and 11s would rattle like a bastage. Guess im goin back to boomers or blue steels. what a shame, they played so nice

(Edited by BZ Beetle at 9:04 pm on Feb. 8, 2002)
post #58 of 356 (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 03:04 AM

Ernie Ball Custom Set high to low - 11, 14, 18, 28, 38, 58
post #59 of 356 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 11:38 AM

I USED d'addario 9-42 but they break to easily

Dean markely have now taken over (only cause the shop just down the road don't sell Ernie Ball)

for my Jem 7VWH
post #60 of 356 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 10:17 AM

I just bought my first Jem earlier this week. I had the guy at Guitar Center put Ernie Ball 9-42's on for the test drive. But I have to try DR and Elixir strings on my VWH.

Tags
addario exl , darren wilson , dean markley , dean markley blue , dean markley blue steel , electric guitar , ernie ball , ernie balls , fender strat , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge guitars , gauge strings , gibson les paul , higher strings , ibanez guitars , ibanez rgt , les paul , les paul studio , markley blue steel , paul reed , paul reed smith , ray vaughan , reed smith , steel strings , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , string gauges , string tension , wound strings , zachary guitars , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode