Wow! Acoustic JEM - I read in a Norwegian mag... - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Wow! Acoustic JEM - I read in a Norwegian mag...

Hi folks!

I read an interview with mr. Vai in a Norwegian mag
that Ibanez and Steve are working on an acoustic JEM model! I also read that Ibanez and Vai is making a prototype of a new JEM :loco: ! If it'll be going into production it'll be very few of them and they'll be expensive! ( It will contain Fernandes Sustainer and a lot of new & hi-tec stuff!) " The ultra/ ultimate guitar ", says Steve Vai.
Is this all old news for you? Steve is also buildig the Harmony hut in his garden. ( A studio or something like that...) arty:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 05:04 PM

Wow! Acoustic JEM

That's very interesting news. Which magazine wrote this? I gotta read it.

I hope the acoustic JEM will have a monkey grip, but I can't really imagine how it will look...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 05:50 PM

Wow! Acoustic JEM

:frog:

and Lion's claw too !!! :rotf:
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 06:07 PM

Wow! Acoustic JEM

Wow, quick replies! *2 replies before I even noticed the first post! lol *I would love to see an Acoustic Jem! *That would be awesome! *Also, a Sustainer Jem would be cool too, since I've been looking at the Fernandes guitars and haven't been all that attracted to any of them in particular, except for the fact that they have the sustainer system. *This changes it all!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Wow! Acoustic JEM

The mag I read is "Musikkpraksis"...
www.musikkweb.no/musikkpraksis
The guy's at Musikkpraksis is really nice to deal with, so if many of you send them an e-mail, I'm sure they'll put the whole interwiev on the net, in english!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 06:54 AM

Wow! Acoustic JEM

Done!
I've sent them a mail asking whether they will put it on their site and also asked if they would consider mailing it to me.

satch, what if you translate the whole intervju and put it up here? :biggrin:
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Wow! Acoustic JEM

If they put in to the net in Norwegian, I'll consider runing a translate program, and translate it to English! But I'm not sure :sarcasm:The whole interwiev is about 6 a4....
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 07:14 PM

Wow! Acoustic JEM

Love to see that interview too.

steve

lo-pro acoustic guitar!!!!!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 10:23 PM

Wow! Acoustic JEM

Hey guys, sorry for the dumb question but I'm not sure I understand the gist of this conversation. *When you say an "acoustic JEM", do you mean an actual hollowbody acoustic guitar that has JEM characteristics (I'm not sure I can even imagine this), or a JEM with piezos? *Or something in between (chambered JEM w/ piezos or something)?

Confused in Colorado,
Gary
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 09:46 AM

Wow! Acoustic JEM

I guess we're all confused on this one...

Anyway, I received a mail from the magazine today. They said they will not be publishing the interview on the web and they are not willing to just send me the article.

The result is that I have a subscription now... *
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 01:06 PM

Wow! Acoustic JEM

In regards to the "acoustic" JEM, my guess would be that it would be something along the lines of the Carvin thin-body acoustic/electrics that Vai is so fond of. *Perhaps a variation of the Ibanez Talman acoustic, but hopefully a bit higher-quality in regards to materials (and hopefully a Japanese-made guitar!).
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 11:55 PM

Wow! Acoustic JEM

Ah, that makes sense. *Vai plays the Carvin AE185 a lot on the new album. *I wouldn't be interested but others may be. *

I don't think this would be a winning marketing move for Ibanez. *There are companies who have put a lot of time and thought into this type of guitar and have a great product (i.e. Carvin). *On the other hand you have companies who come out with something just to do it and fill some niche they think is there, but they have a crap product and it does nothing for their reputation (i.e. Fender).

I've had a Kramer Ferrington in the past, as well as a Carvin AE185 (but it was a 12-string). *The Carvin was head and shoulders above the Kramer. *The Carvin felt like a nice quality guitar, the Kramer like a toy. *If I were Ibanez, I'd stick to doing what they do best. *How about coming up with another killer looking JEM, but sticking a Double Edge on there with separate outputs? *I'd definitely go for that.

On the other hand, one thing in Ibanez' favor is that they do make some very nice hollowbodies and semi-hollowbodies. *If they really put some resources into the project they could come up with something very nice. *The question is, are they willing to do it right?

Just my .02,
Gary
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 12:16 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Wow! Acoustic JEM

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 05:43 AM

If any of you get the musicians friend catalogs, or you can check on their website, there's a couple of guitars that Fender makes models after Strats and Telecasters... they're called the Stratacoustic and Telacoustic, respectively... The body shape is just like that of their electric counterparts. They look pretty sweet, but I have no idea how they actually sound.

Tags
acoustic guitar , body shape , fernandes sustainer , ibanez talman , monkey grip , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode