$55000 guitar amp on the BAY ???? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 25
$55000 guitar amp on the BAY ????

Check this amp out on EvilBay item number

its hit $55000 and reserve not yet met

Is this for real ??

could not a new top of the line Amp do the same as this amp

any experts out there care to enlighten me

and just for some fun

check out this clear Piano quite nice....

item number 200174715248
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 06:38 AM

Re: $55000 guitar amp on the BAY ????

I'm sure it's about collectability. It's probably a good investment for someone.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 06:56 AM

Wow!!! That's an expensive amp !!!!

It's only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it, safe to say it won't be me - I don't have the cash for a $150k amp
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 08:28 AM

Reviews: 1

It's a Dumble. They are revered for their tone.
They are rare and hard to come by.
People have been trying to clone his amps, but only a handful of people have done it effectively, and even then, the Dumbles are more desired in most cases.
If you do some digging around, you'll find that they were hand built by one crazy guy in a castle for only the creme of the crop players that could afford and or deserved them. Larry Carlton, SRV, Santana are some of the names that own them. Rumour has it John Mayer owns six of them.

I couldn't own one, but I'd love to try one out to see what the deal is.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 08:40 AM

just one word… sick
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 09:06 AM

Dumbles are one of the rarest and most sought-after amps in the world.

They are like Stradivarius violins.
They are like 1942 Martin D-45's.
They are like Joe Satriani 'Donnies.'
They are like 1929 model-D Steinway pianos.

I won't give you the value of these instruments- but you might want to look them up for a shock.

-jemaholic
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 09:16 AM

Reviews: 3

Interesting. I've never heard of it.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 10:00 AM

Hey....someone could buy it to lock it away in their cupboard with a DNA or LNG to never be used again
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 10:33 AM

It's a Dumble..... what more needs to be said! It rates right along side a Trainwreck. Both amps were built in limited numbers (not production) and for players interested in having an amp voiced to suite their particular playing style.

Both Howard Dumble and Ken Fischer built custom amps that were tweaked with no two exactly alike. Not to mention these guys only built a hand full of amps in any year.

You can't even begin to compare these amps to any production amp or even some of the better boutique amps available. You may get close by having one of the many custom amp builders build you an amp.

There are a couple of guys building Dumble clones like Brown Note Amps: http://www.brownnote.net/ or Bludotone amps: http://www.bludotone.com/ both of these guys will custom voice a build to suite the customer and have great reputations for providing unmatched quality in a custom amp.

Want a Trainwreck clone..... check out Paul Ruby or you could buy a limited build Komet.

There are a couple of companies who build quality amps that have simular charicitistics like Two Rock, Fuchs, Bruno, Dr Z, and others.

But if you're looking for that "chunka chunka chunka" buzzsaw saturation.... stick with your Mesa Engineering (Boogie to us old timers), a Bogner Uberschall or a Fuchs Frost 100. These amps (Dumble or Trainwreck type) won't suite you at all.

Want a amp that will bring out the best (or worst) in your playing (very touch sensitive and capable of being controlled by your guitar volume knob) find something based off either a Dumble or Trainwreck.

There is a reason why players like Eric Johnson, Carlos Santana, Larry Carlton, Robin Ford, Joe Bonamassa, along with a long list of other players recognized for excellent tone, either have used or had amps made based on the Dumble or Trainwreck tone circuitry.

Most players don't realize it, but the key to great tone is influenced by your amp far more than guitar or pickup. Don't get me wrong those count too! But like someone pointed out in an amp thread recently.... "a $10 000 PRS Private Stock will sound just like a 15 watt solid state amp if that's what you plug it into!"
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
Dumbles are one of the rarest and most sought-after amps in the world.

They are like Stradivarius violins.
They are like 1942 Martin D-45's.
They are like Joe Satriani 'Donnies.'
They are like 1929 model-D Steinway pianos.

I won't give you the value of these instruments- but you might want to look them up for a shock.

-jemaholic
i didn#t mean this in a negative way. there's no relation to judge the value - its far beyond manufactury costs are anything. these amps are nearly unique and they're worth the amount someone is paying for. and that's ok - but it's sick anyway…
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
Most players don't realize it, but the key to great tone is influenced by your amp far more than guitar or pickup.
Very true.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 03:10 PM

The amp is as much an instrument as your guitar is.
I found that out when I changed upgraded to tube amplification however many years ago.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 05:50 PM

Reviews: 6

I'd love to get a dumble. Or perhaps a nice matchless. In the mean time my Legacy will do just fine.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Most players don't realize it, but the key to great tone is influenced by your amp far more than guitar or pickup. Don't get me wrong those count too! But like someone pointed out in an amp thread recently.... "a $10 000 PRS Private Stock will sound just like a 15 watt solid state amp if that's what you plug it into!"
That's why I'm amazed at how many "what pickups for me?" threads I see, yet most of the time, the player asking is playing through a practice amp...

Brad Paisley actually said that he considers the amp more important than the guitar itself.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
It's a Dumble..... what more needs to be said! It rates right along side a Trainwreck. Both amps were built in limited numbers (not production) and for players interested in having an amp voiced to suite their particular playing style.

Both Howard Dumble and Ken Fischer built custom amps that were tweaked with no two exactly alike. Not to mention these guys only built a hand full of amps in any year.
$55K is not that bad for a Dumble - I have heard of them changing hands for over $100K!!!!!

Having actually seen Robben Ford playing through his Dumble - if anyone wants a not totally outrageously expensive Dumble style amp (tone and feelwise), the Custom Audio Engineering amps are remarkeably similar in sound - really seriously nice amps - hey, Andy Summers is trailing two of them around the wrold on the Police tour - they can't be bad!

Trainwreck Amps - what can you say - the first Guitar Player review of a Trainwreck simply came to the conclusion that it was the best amp the reviewer had ever used, period. Ken made so few amps that they each had a girl's name, not a serial number - and, yes, there is a bunch of domeheads out there who know where virtually every Trainwreck ever made currently resides!

Tags
andy summers , bogner uberschall , eric johnson , joe satriani , john mayer , larry carlton , peavey bandit , practice amp , robben ford , solid state amp , trainwreck amps , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode