**** advice - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

**** advice

Hi, I just sold a ps3 for $399 on a buy it now. After the buyer paid I went to paypal to get their address but it was unconfirmed. I contacted the buyer to see if he could verify the address. I do not want to get ripped off, thats why i am insecure about the transaction. I did not write the address must be verified in the descripition, although i will now. Any experience ****ers? what would you do with a value sale in this situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 11:12 AM

Re: **** advice

No confirmed address.... do not send the items until you receive one! E-mail the winning bidder and explain the situation. If he's "for real", he'll have no problems. Just explain that too much fraud occurs and it protects both of you.

If he gives you bad feedback you'll have the chance to respond for all to see.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 11:15 AM

Ive just had the very same thing with a guitar I sold. I apologised and refunded the money straight away. True to what Jemplayer said, the guy was legit and sent the money from his girlfriend's PayPal address instead (same as his but her account is confirmed.)
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 11:29 AM

If the buyer is in the states then he should verify his address. on the other hand, I'm in Israel and I simply can't get my address verified.and according to paypal help section most of non us addresses can't be verified for now.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 12:42 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: **** advice

Just so you have the other side of the coin: Not having a confirmed address does not mean the buyer is a con! many people open paypal accounts using their credit or debit cards only! and what paypal requires of you to be verified is that you submit and verify your checking account info and many people are not willing to do that so do your homework before dissmissing your buyer as a fraud!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 12:51 PM

Got this right off the PayPal site:

Question : How do I confirm my shipping address?

Answer : Here's how you can confirm your shipping address:

Add a credit card to your PayPal account. By adding a credit card to your account, PayPal can attempt to confirm your address with your credit card company. If the credit card company is not able to confirm your address, you may be asked to complete the Expanded Use enrollment process to activate your credit card. Your address can be confirmed after that process is complete. Note: Not all credit card companies are able to confirm addresses.

Apply for PayPal Buyer Credit. If approved, the address on your application will be a confirmed address.

Complete Alternate Address Confirmation. This process takes several days and is only available for U.S. accounts. To learn more, log in to your PayPal account and visit the Alternate Address Confirmation page.

So as you can see there are several ways a buyer can confirm his/hers address.

The other option is to request a money transfer...... Better safe than sorry!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 01:03 PM

For the buyer.....

Question: How can I confirm an address?

Answer : To confirm a specific address:

Add a credit card to your PayPal account.

OR

Apply and be approved for a PayPal Plus Credit Card, PayPal Buyer Credit, or an **** MasterCard.

To can also confirm your address through Alternate Address Confirmation.To qualify, you must:

Be a Verified U.S. PayPal member in good standing.
Be a PayPal member for more than 90 days.
Have a Buyer Reputation Number of more than 10.

If you qualify for Alternate Address Confirmation, you must provide several documents to PayPal, after which we will mail a secret code to the address you are trying to confirm. After you enter the secret code correctly into the PayPal website, your address is confirmed. For more information, please see our legal agreement
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 01:06 PM

I'd always refund in it's unconfirmed, unless they live relatively close. That way you can pay them a visit if they try anything dodgy.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 02:56 PM

Reviews: 2

I had the same thing happen a few months back when I sold Morley PWB
to a buyer in France. I contacted him and explained the situation. What
ended up happening was he sent me a copy of his utility bill with the
address on it. I was satisfied with this,and sent the item. For me at least
everything turned out fine.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 03:44 PM

I sold a PS3 through **** and like a unsuspecting muppet I was, I got ripped 3 months down the line. The buyer paid through Paypal, had an unconfirmed address but seemed please with the item. Then he claimed a chargeback 3 months after he bought the PS3, a few weeks back and I had to pay Paypal £375 even though the buyer had the item.

Never take any risk at all. Paypal is risky these days.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG462 View Post
Hi, I just sold a ps3 for $399 on a buy it now. After the buyer paid I went to paypal to get their address but it was unconfirmed. I contacted the buyer to see if he could verify the address. I do not want to get ripped off, thats why i am insecure about the transaction. I did not write the address must be verified in the descripition, although i will now. Any experience ****ers? what would you do with a value sale in this situation?
Does the buyer have a good E Bay feedback rate?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

His feedback is 29 100% positive. Other sellers have sold to him. I am not willing to risk shipping to an unconfirmed address with such an expensive transaction. I will tell him to confirm his address or i will offer a refund.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion_and_Warfare View Post
I sold a PS3 through **** and like a unsuspecting muppet I was, I got ripped 3 months down the line. The buyer paid through Paypal, had an unconfirmed address but seemed please with the item. Then he claimed a chargeback 3 months after he bought the PS3, a few weeks back and I had to pay Paypal £375 even though the buyer had the item.

Never take any risk at all. Paypal is risky these days.
Your a better person than I. Under the same I would have told paypal to shove it. I would cancel CC's and delete back accounts registered to paypal for I would let someone do that to me. Do you still have that persons address? If it was I and still had their address i would pay them a "little" visit.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Your a better person than I. Under the same I would have told paypal to shove it. I would cancel CC's and delete back accounts registered to paypal for I would let someone do that to me. Do you still have that persons address? If it was I and still had their address i would pay them a "little" visit.
Hell yeah!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode