****ing Ticket Brokers - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
****ing Ticket Brokers

Ticket Brokers:
Scum of the earth or bastion of sainthood?
I say scum!
Douchebags selling tix for triple the face value or more.
All I wanted was a $20 concert ticket, but if I want one now that the show is sold out, these plicks have plenty of them for 65-75 Ea.

Obviously, people don't mind paying, and if there wasn't a demand, these places would close up shop.

It just irks me, that's all.

****ers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 06:13 PM

Re: ****ing Ticket Brokers

Why would you even make Bastion of Sainthood an option?

$65-$75 isnt that bad of a mark up, it still sucks, but when they are in the hundreds of dollars those brokers need to be shot.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 06:43 PM

Reviews: 3

Go to www.google.com
Click "images"
Type "supply & demand curve"
Click "search"
Study carefully.

sorry... I hate it too. I have wanted to see an NFL game the last few years and they have taken the already outrageous prices and shot them straight t the moon. This January it cost less for the woman and I to go to NAMM for a 4 day weekend than it would have cost to see a regular season Packer game.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 08:33 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: ****ing Ticket Brokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm View Post
Ticket Brokers:
Scum of the earth or bastion of sainthood?
Neither! They are guys cashing in on a system that makes them money.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

OF COURSE THEY ARE, MEANWHILE, IF YOU OR i TRY TO DO THE SAME THING, WE'RE CALLED "SCALPERS"!!!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm View Post
OF COURSE THEY ARE, MEANWHILE, IF YOU OR i TRY TO DO THE SAME THING, WE'RE CALLED "SCALPERS"!!!
If you sell alcohol out of your house you are a criminal. If you get a liquor license you're an entrepreneur. What are they doing illegal? It's not even unethical if it's legal! My attorney charges me $350.00 an hour, or $75.00 for a 5 minute phone call. That kinda sh!t doesn't even add up, but it's not illegal...Hate it all you want, but good advice would be to get to ticketmaster earlier...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Sadly, I didn't know if I'd be in town to see the show.
Hindsight being what it is, yeah, you're right, I could have sold the tix for what the were worth and not been out.
Now...
I have LTE Tickets...
I'm curious to see how much those go for!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 11:32 PM

People just need to stop paying. Scalpers will not make a penny off of me.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay ratkowski View Post
Go to www.google.com
Click "images"
Click "search"
Study carefully.
+1.

Stadiums have a set capacity, there's only so much room.

However, the main problem is trying to have a system that helps identify true fans who are buying because they want to see the show, and those buying tickets to sell them on. For some events in the UK, when you buy the ticket, you have to give a name, and then when you arrive at the event you have to have ID that matches the name on the ticket. If not, you don't get in.

However, I do remember reading somewhere that for the upcoming Madonna tour, she has some system that means she manages to get a cut of all ticket sales, so even when they are sold by scalpers at higher prices than face value, she still somehow gets a cut of the price it was sold at, so even artists now are directly benefiting from inflated prices.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 07:53 AM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay ratkowski View Post
Go to www.google.com
Click "images"
Click "search"
Study carefully.
IMO, this is a bad example. First, American Express, promoters, and radio stations get their cut and the resellers CONTROL the market price by buying the remaining stock. It's by no means a "free" market when the supply is artifically dried up by resellers buying out all seats.
It's price gouging and should be illegal.

PS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_market
The more you know...
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 08:39 AM

I don't like ticket brokers at all! Just so we clear this up...

I don't go to concerts much anymore, mostly because of the prices and sh!tty system that is set in place!!! I also mean how much tickets go for originally before brokers get a hold of them!! Last year for our anniversary my wife and I saw Don Henley at the Borgata in Atlantic City. Surprisingly that was the first real concert my wife had ever been to. The tickets were $150.00 each, and from the box office!! We are going to try to go this year, as well, but only if we get the tix ahead of time again.

I remember going with my girlfriend, to see Kiss 1987 I think, on the Crazy Nights tour with Ted Nugent opening, at Brendan Byrne Arena and eating afterwards for a total of $20.00, And that was like 5th row!! Amazing how stuff changes. Don Henley with Sheryl Crow and Susanna Hoffs G.S. Arts Center, in early 90's tickets were $25.00 for good seats...Eagles Hell Freezes Over tour, Giants Stadium, 1995 Nosebleed tickets were $50.00 each. That's when it all started to go crazy!!

It definitely sucks!!! I prefer a live DVD I can sit on my butt on my couch, and watch with great clarity for $25.00 rather than going to a show, for $100.00
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 12:26 PM

I say with HDTV who needs to go to concerts and sporting events.

My remote and my beer, thats all I need!!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk-27 View Post
+1.

Stadiums have a set capacity, there's only so much room.

However, the main problem is trying to have a system that helps identify true fans who are buying because they want to see the show, and those buying tickets to sell them on. For some events in the UK, when you buy the ticket, you have to give a name, and then when you arrive at the event you have to have ID that matches the name on the ticket. If not, you don't get in.

However, I do remember reading somewhere that for the upcoming Madonna tour, she has some system that means she manages to get a cut of all ticket sales, so even when they are sold by scalpers at higher prices than face value, she still somehow gets a cut of the price it was sold at, so even artists now are directly benefiting from inflated prices.

Now, check this out.
I'm not a cubs fan, but here's how they screw their fans.
Limited seating, the face value of a baseball ticket is what, $12-$35, typically?
The Cubs had their own "broker office" just a few doors down from the stadium, they would jack up the prices and make even more money from the fans. This was eventually discovered and ended, but just more price gouging.

Thats really what it is, gouging.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantshore View Post
I say with HDTV who needs to go to concerts and sporting events.

My remote and my beer, thats all I need!!
+1, particularly regarding concerts. For some reason bands insist on setting their gear to completely devastating volume levels, so if you go without ear plugs, you'll loose your hearing.

I once had to leave a Satriani concert after sitting through a third of it because I couldn't hear the music - the PA was cranked so loud that I only could hear my own ears ringing.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 12:01 AM

Reviews: 3

The "event" market is not really a free market as there is not much for competition or product replacement, it is nearly impossible for a new competitor to enter, etc. It is a good supply/demand model though, supply drops, demand increases and price increases. Low demand, low price (like the bars that let you see a band for a 2 drink minimum).

As for the mention of saving tickets for real fans... it is a tough call there. Professional entertainers and prommoters don't care about "real" fans as they only have so much spending potential. The business side loves brokers as they create an artificial demand and drive up prices, which brings out the casual fan. You know the ones, they go to a concert to buy a shirt, a hat for their girlfriend, lots of beer and sing along to the singles. The fan going to a concert for the music is most likely to buy their ticket and little else. If yu want to make money, it is all about the people who are their for the experience. Not to say I wouldn't love being able to buy tickets for some bands at the counter vs paying huge markups online, but I understand that isnt going to happen with big shows and usually stick to smaller concerts because of it.

Tags
ted nugent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode