13-19 Cal Poly gets into NCAA - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

13-19 Cal Poly gets into NCAA

We beat a few really good teams to ease into the bracket where winner of first game will have to next play #1 seed.

It's probably not a recipe for going far but it's the first time we have been to the Div 1 basketball tournament.

Cal Poly. Cal who?

They are now big enough and good enough that they are a Division 1 school but back when I went it was a relatively unknown agricultural school with no Division 1 basketball, and much overshadowed by the U.C. Davis Aggies who were the state's main agricultural school. I don't expect big things for the team but getting in this tournament against the nation's powerhouse teams is the biggest news ever for Cal Poly athletics.

http://msn.foxsports.com/west/story/...tourney-031514

Last edited by 63Blazer; 03-17-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 09:44 AM

Re: 13-19 Cal Poly gets into NCAA

I know how you feel! Congrats to Cal Poly for getting a dance card.

Peace

Mike
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
I know how you feel! Congrats to Cal Poly for getting a dance card.

Peace

Mike
Many thanks.

We will definitely have something new to add to WOW week, a welcome week activity where incoming students spend a week studying the history of the school and nearby communities.

At first we were a vocational high school, morphed into Cal State Polytechnic College, and now we are full four year institution as Cal Poly State University. We were almost exclusively agriculture at one time but now have many majors but the one thing missing was something on the national sports radar. Tomorrow that changes when hundreds of thousands hear about the school for the first time! I want to buy a Cal Poly car flag but there's no such thing, yet.

I don't think this type of pride follows for just the first round if you are UCLA or Duke.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 03-18-2014 at 10:32 AM.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 11:05 AM

The only Cal Poly I knew of was Pomona. I also remember one year they played against UCLA and smoked em

I personally went to Cal State LA. We have nothing of recognition except the engineering department, which seems to always win solar car races
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
The only Cal Poly I knew of was Pomona. I also remember one year they played against UCLA and smoked em

I personally went to Cal State LA. We have nothing of recognition except the engineering department, which seems to always win solar car races
There are two of them. It depends which one you are closer to and it's safe to say for sports they are kind of under the radar.

Unfortunately schools like UCLA and USC somewhat near Pomona or Cal and Stanford somewhat near San Luis Obispo pretty much take away attention from the two Cal Polys in this state. Then there's San Jose State or San Diego State and they are more visible basketball wise but way down the latter from a UCLA but much higher than Cal Poly.

There's no overestimating how this former Division II school in the basically isolated San Luis Obispo feels about just being asked to the dance. Nobody is saying Cal Poly will go far but what happened this year gives hope for future seasons and a move towards improvement and a real basketball program. We will go against 19-14 Texas Southern University with a so-so record but one way better than Cal Poly's 13-19.

It's debatable whether basketball is the biggest pro sport in the USA, but nothing in college sports approaches the NCAA March Madness. Many fans pick their favorite who have a good record but also pick a long shot underdog like either of these two teams. The team that gets the win tomorrow will have to have all the stars line up to get past the bracket's #1 in the next game. If that happens then we have a tournament and so many possibilities open up for a lot of teams.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 03-19-2014 at 12:45 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

We got by a #16 team and we are now the sole holder of that last spot.

But to post a W for the first NCAA Div I game ever, that's a great start. I am sure John Madden is going crazy right now like the radio says. He's not just a football guy but could tell you anything from linebackers to bobsleds to boxing to ERA.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

The journey ended today for #16 Cal Poly by getting soundly beat by the #1 seed Wichita State 64-37.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 11:09 AM

Congrats to them on their first tournament appearance! I love to see teams like them get some recognition. I watched their win to get in.

I love to see the upsets in the first rounds of the tournaments too... so the last couple of days were awesome. Watching no-name schools beat some big names. N. Dakota State beating Oklahoma... Stephen F. Austin beating VCU last night.. and especially Mercer beating Duke yesterday!! Plus many more.

If it's any consolation... Wichita State is a small college compared to the others they are playing. They don't even have a football program, but have somehow managed to get a top notch basketball program going in the last few years. Tough for them being stuck right near powerhouses KU and K-State... but they are getting recognized this year!
FireEagle is online  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
There are two of them. It depends which one you are closer to and it's safe to say for sports they are kind of under the radar.

Unfortunately schools like UCLA and USC somewhat near Pomona or Cal and Stanford somewhat near San Luis Obispo pretty much take away attention from the two Cal Polys in this state. Then there's San Jose State or San Diego State and they are more visible basketball wise but way down the latter from a UCLA but much higher than Cal Poly.

There's no overestimating how this former Division II school in the basically isolated San Luis Obispo feels about just being asked to the dance. Nobody is saying Cal Poly will go far but what happened this year gives hope for future seasons and a move towards improvement and a real basketball program. We will go against 19-14 Texas Southern University with a so-so record but one way better than Cal Poly's 13-19.

It's debatable whether basketball is the biggest pro sport in the USA, but nothing in college sports approaches the NCAA March Madness. Many fans pick their favorite who have a good record but also pick a long shot underdog like either of these two teams. The team that gets the win tomorrow will have to have all the stars line up to get past the bracket's #1 in the next game. If that happens then we have a tournament and so many possibilities open up for a lot of teams.
I love the underdogs personally. I'm glad Cal poly (any one) is able to at least get there. Pretty cool to see the name cal poly up there
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Congrats to them on their first tournament appearance! I love to see teams like them get some recognition. I watched their win to get in.

I love to see the upsets in the first rounds of the tournaments too... so the last couple of days were awesome. Watching no-name schools beat some big names. N. Dakota State beating Oklahoma... Stephen F. Austin beating VCU last night.. and especially Mercer beating Duke yesterday!! Plus many more.

If it's any consolation... Wichita State is a small college compared to the others they are playing. They don't even have a football program, but have somehow managed to get a top notch basketball program going in the last few years. Tough for them being stuck right near powerhouses KU and K-State... but they are getting recognized this year!
With a #1 in their quadrant they have a realistic chance of taking it all especially with some good teams getting eliminated early. I had never heard of them but their record is amazing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode