2006 FIFA World Cup - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 650 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

2006 FIFA World Cup

Feel free to discuss the forthcoming football world cup happening in Germany in June/July.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 650 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 07:44 PM

Re: 2006 FIFA World Cup

Last time, I put my money on Argentina and had to eat my every word!!!!

This time, I'll go for the obvious choice, Brazil!!!
post #3 of 650 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

How close were Chile to qualifying?
post #4 of 650 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 09:44 PM

I have to say I still believe... !!!

I believe England will triumph through adversity and overcome the press, the pundits, the tabloids, the unbelievers and be the deserving masters of all that is football in 2006.

BTW best of luck to all other teams participating I hope you all have a great world cup but you have to understand I'm England through and through and I realy don't want to sound yobish etc. Something that is VERY important to me during this world cup is our fans behavour. I don't have ticketsn, biut if your there and you see any of our fans acting like idiots please report them to the relevant authorities and tell them from me.... HOW DARE THEY ACT LIKE THAT AND WEAR THREE LIONS ON THEIR CHEST !!!!!

WE ARE ENGLAND, A COUNTRY OF BRAVERY AND PRIDE. WE DO NOT TOLERATE RACISTS OR THUGS !!!

(For me that should be our moto for the 2006 world cup)

Rant over !

Ben
post #5 of 650 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 09:44 PM

Brazil is always my fav, their team always boast with young talented players
post #6 of 650 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Being English I hope England get past the Quarter finals at least!

As soon as Australia qualified the media were talking about getting to the final! Personally I think they may struggle to get out of their group and if they do they would meet Italy I think.
post #7 of 650 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 10:26 PM

EDIT-Do not discuss moderation issues or suspended members

Last edited by cerealk; 05-05-2006 at 11:08 PM.
post #8 of 650 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 01:03 AM

you shouldnt bet. You should use all your money to buy stocks on big gaming companies!
post #9 of 650 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 01:22 AM

how often does FIFA come around, i remember it coming on late at night one year a while ago. it was in south korea . I am a night-fly during the summer so it is always good to have somthing to watch late at night and on ealy into the morning . I have watched the tour de france too for the past couple of years, they always re-run it that night since it starts at like 8 in the moring local time for me .

I have to say that the south american countires are all fairly tallented, Brazil for sure . should be cool to watch .
post #10 of 650 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealk
How close were Chile to qualifying?
Well, this time it wasn't so far (I believe about 6th, not too many points below the 4th)...but honestly, we suck at football, our local league is a JOKE, and if that wasn't enough, our best player (Pizarro, now at Inter Milan), won't play for the team. I'll support our neighbours then!

btw...I just love that Nike commercial: "why not 1-1-8?" with the pictures of Ronaldo, Adriano, Ronaldihno and others!
post #11 of 650 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy
I have to say I still believe... !!!

I believe England will triumph through adversity and overcome the press, the pundits, the tabloids, the unbelievers and be the deserving masters of all that is football in 2006.

BTW best of luck to all other teams participating I hope you all have a great world cup but you have to understand I'm England through and through and I realy don't want to sound yobish etc. Something that is VERY important to me during this world cup is our fans behavour. I don't have ticketsn, biut if your there and you see any of our fans acting like idiots please report them to the relevant authorities and tell them from me.... HOW DARE THEY ACT LIKE THAT AND WEAR THREE LIONS ON THEIR CHEST !!!!!

WE ARE ENGLAND, A COUNTRY OF BRAVERY AND PRIDE. WE DO NOT TOLERATE RACISTS OR THUGS !!!

(For me that should be our moto for the 2006 world cup)

Rant over !

Ben
Well said Ben

Another England fan here Wish I was going over to Germany! But the problem is getting tickets, last I heard the group stage tickets for the England games were going for Ģ600 a piece on the black market Just too much money, so we decided it'd be cheaper to watch down the pub

Gutted about Rooney being injured though. Hopefully Sven sees a bit of sense and puts Stuart Downing on the left and Joe Cole in Rooney's position.
post #12 of 650 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom
Brazil is always my fav, their team always boast with young talented players
I dunno, I think Ronaldinho and Ronaldo have lost a bit of their mojo since the last World Cup. Nevertheless, they're on top of my rooting list.
post #13 of 650 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 05:36 AM

Personally, I think Ronaldo lost it way before the last world cup. I think Ronaldinho is still a great player, and I think he will really make his mark this time round.

Being half Portuguese I also support Portugal, after England of course

I think Portugal have a good chance, they have a pretty good team.
post #14 of 650 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 08:09 AM

Ronaldinho is an outstanding player. He's up there as one of the best players in the world at the moment. If I was as rich as Abramavich, I'd buy him for Liverpool!

Although I'm an England fan and think we have a great chance for the World Cup (as long as we don't get any more injuries), Brazil have got to be the favourites. Their attacking line up is just scary.

I can't wait for it to start. Booked time of work ages ago. Come on England
post #15 of 650 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 09:22 AM

Cool Re: 2006 FIFA World Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge
how often does FIFA come around, i remember it coming on late at night one year a while ago. it was in south korea .(..) I have to say that the south american countires are all fairly tallented, Brazil for sure . should be cool to watch .
The World Cup comes every four years, last time was S.Korea/Japan joint hosts, 1998 was France. Brazil won 1994 and 2002. Most of the games will be during the day for US audiences.

Since it's in Germany, European countries will have an advantage, the strongest teams of those being the Netherlands, Italy and possibly France, the Czech Republic, Sweden, Portugal. But Brazil remains the best bet for the title. Argentina has a decent chance, just behind the best Euros.

I consider England, Germany and the Ukraine outsiders, one trick wonders if you will (Rooney, Ballack, Sevchenko respectively) Spain have still to prove they can play with the big boys in a major tournament. With Rooney out England really only has Gerrard and Lampard left, theri coach is clueless, the back four is hopeless, the forwards toothless, posing no real threat for a decent defense.

I really hope the Netherlands will do as well as 1998, we really should've won that one (like 1978 or 1974 ) so will this time be our year? Our qualifying record speaks for itself, the #3 world ranking is no fluke either (in fact we've beaten the #2 twice during qualifying), the only problem that I see is that there are so many talented countries participating, even the group phase (Serbia&Montenegro, Ivory Coast, Argentina) will be quite a challenge.

After that depending on getting 1st or 2nd spot you can get anybody, in our case possibly Mexico/Portugal, then Sweden/England/Germany and a semifinal against Brazil.

Having said that the last two times we played Yougoslavia we beat them, same with Argentina in 1998. The fact that it is being held in Germany could be an advantage (remember WC1974 and EC198

We've got one of the world's best goalies (v.d.Sar) one of the wordl's best strikers (v. Nistelrooij) flanked by Kuijt and Robben, the midfield is very creative (v.d. Vaart) as well as experienced (v.Bommel, Cocu) The coach is a true legend, Marco van Basten, but relatively inexperienced in the job.

The only questionmark remains in defence, they were solid in qualifying, but some of those guys are a bit out of shape the last months; a pretty good mix of speed agility and strength, comfortable on the ball and very well balanced (we've got more lefties in the last line than in the entire English squad )

'thing is most of them don't have a huge reputation yet, which could be a downside with respect to the refereeing, we all now that the big names get the refs' calls in their advantage.

Either way, it will be a great world cup, on par with France, and way better than WC2002.
Closed Thread

Tags
crystal planet , rosewood neck , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode