Adopting a former racing greyhound - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Adopting a former racing greyhound

My wife and I are thinking about it, as a few people in the neighborhood have them and they are very nice dogs. They are extremely consistent in personality and health, as they are bred to work and the ones that don't measure up.... They don't have hereditary diseases and abnormalities like most other dogs as those have been bred out, they're very even tempered (if not overly shy), and they're friendly. And man, seeing one run flat out is wild, they get up to near 45MPH in just 3 steps! I've read a few books about them and we're thinking about hitting the adoption places. So, just wondering if anyone has one, or had one, or has any greyhound related anecdotes or anything basically

jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 04:34 PM

Re: Adopting a former racing greyhound

we are in the process of adopting a dog as well. she is a terrier mix and was in foster care, and we have since been fostering her in the transition of adoption. until she gets spayed, we can't legally adopt her. she has had an abundance of afflictions and until those are cleared, she can't be spayed. oh well.
the thing about rescueing a dog is that they are soooo appreciative. our dog was from an abused home before she was fostered, so she is extremely loving, unfortunately to the extent of seperation anxienty. i am so glad to here that you are adopting a dog that has had a tough life, jim. bravo.

rich
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 04:37 PM

Congratulations. I have a lot of respect for people who adopt/rescue.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 04:44 PM

that's great! i would save them all if i could....would need acres upon acres though.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 05:00 PM

I used to have one and he was a great all round dog . The only thing to watch out for is the tendancy snap at the sudden close movements of kids.

And if they get into a fight with another dog they always make a gorey bloody if not fatal mess if you dont take control quickly enough... a little embarrassing to say the least .

The 2 oversized Kiwi fruits bulging out from between the back legs are a good
talking point and an invite for many a laddish joke as well .
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

I honestly don't know that they've had a tough life per se, as racing greyhounds were used to make money. They're up to date on their shots, they've been fed and their injuries treated and everything, but they've had little human interaction. Most have never seen another dog other than another greyhound. Never seen the inside of a house, or gotten to socialize with people petting them and such. They've just grown up as tools, and their usefulness is over. Basically all they know is run and wait to run, and going back and forth to tracks in their cages in the backs of vans and trucks. I know a lady whose greyhound basically sat in the corner staring at them for about 3 months before it was comfortable enough to walk around the house. They're sort of blank canvases. Here's a quick description of how they end up in rescue.

jim
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Banned

i know a bit about greyhounds,my mates dad used to race them,there hard work mind.you need loads of time for them 2 good walks a day (just like any dog i supose).id be warey if you have small children around,remember this dog has been trained since it was a pup to chase a bunny.if it sees a small child playing with a teddy bear or simular toy it will tear it to peices mind make no mistake about that.also never under any circumstances let it off the lead.it if gets its eye on a cat or a small dog MAYHEM.im not tying to put you off but just be careful.i have a lakeland terrier its a fiery little sod i put a muzzle on him when i take him out,hope all goes well regards rob.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 06:16 PM

Very commendable Jim

I've heard they are good dogs but heard about that "snapping" streak that some have
I suppose its like buying a used car with no service history - may be a cracker or may let you down every day - you just never know!

We've just got another Border Terrier pup 2 weeks ago

Our last, Larry, was put to sleep aged 11 on Xmas Eve

So we started looking around the beginning of Feb

Found Roary (the Racing car) - dead wierd as he was born on Xmas Eve and had his KC registration on the day we got married - 25th Jan, so Roary seemed destined for us.......

Max
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
I used to have one and he was a great all round dog . The only thing to watch out for is the tendancy snap at the sudden close movements of kids.
Some years back there was a Retired Greyhound Rescue agency camped outside our local supermarket with a couple of their dogs.
As my girlfriend,her 10 year old daughter and I walked up, we of course all tried to pet the dogs. As soon as the 10 year old reached out, the dog nipped at her. No broken skin or anything, just scared the crap out of her.
The ladies there were shocked and told us what docile dogs they are.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Well, we have a lot of time free, as my wife is home with the kids and we've got a 1 acre fenced in yard. They are big dogs though, so the nipping is definitely a thought. The older dogs (5 to 6 years old) had successful careers, and definitely will chase anything that pops into their view, as most sighthounds will. The younger ones (3 and younger) never were interestd in chasing anything, and that'as the main reason they were retired unless they had an injury. Still, good info to keep in mind.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 06:11 AM
Banned

if you have that much land jim it should be ok,the dog will keep itself fit,but i would avise you to keep a muzzle on it just till it gets used to your family.greyhounds are not aggresive towards people just cats and small dogs.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:02 AM

Pretty cool idea Jim. My wife and I tried adopting a race horse. But after 2 days of picking up massive turds on the living room carpet, I sent him back.

Also if anyone is interested in adopting, and making a difference in someones life, here's a link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNPm3-Xj9j0
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:21 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Adopting a former racing greyhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty13ibz98 View Post
the thing about rescuing a dog is that they are soooo appreciative. our dog was from an abused home before she was fostered, so she is extremely loving, unfortunately to the extent of separation anxiety.
I am not big into the whole pets thing, especially dogs, but...

A few years ago my wife made us take on a female golden retriever who was malnourished and beaten pretty bad. This turned out to be the most wonderful dog for a pet hater to own. Great with the kids, already housebroken, calm natured, in short just a wonderful beautiful dog. Just like rty said, the dog absolutely appreciated being cared for and hated being left alone even at night to sleep. She died last year and my kids still talk about her...

So I would assume, based on the above youtube, that rescuing would be a good idea especially if it's a stripper...
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
A few years ago my wife made us take on a female golden retriever who was malnourished and beaten pretty bad. This turned out to be the most wonderful dog for a pet hater to own.
My wife and I adopted a German Shepperd that had been police trained.
It was the best dog I have ever owned. That dog was absolutely human like.
When I was transfered to Houston, a close friend of mine took her in and put her out on his farm. He said she chases chickens and has a blast.
I go out to see her each chance I get and she always goes crazy when she sees me. And I stand there with the biggest **** eating grin you have ever seen.

If I ever get another dog besides the 3 Mini Schnauzers we have, it will be a German Shepperd.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michblanch View Post
My wife and I adopted a German Shepperd that had been police trained.
It was the best dog I have ever owned. That dog was absolutely human like.
When I was transfered to Houston, a close friend of mine took her in and put her out on his farm. He said she chases chickens and has a blast.
I go out to see her each chance I get and she always goes crazy when she sees me. And I stand there with the biggest **** eating grin you have ever seen.

If I ever get another dog besides the 3 Mini Schnauzers we have, it will be a German Shepperd.
German Shepherds are awesome dogs. We used to have three. At one time.

Last edited by jaxadam; 03-05-2008 at 09:50 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode