advice on job situation - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

advice on job situation

try to make a long story short:

i'm working in IT for a co. for 8 months. i love the crew i work with and the job is good. supervisors are good most of the time. money is good...not the best...but alright. i like it there.

there is a merger pending. 2 companies are outbidding each other, fighting over the co. i work for. it looks like it will happen very soon. my co. is going to vote on july 9th to see which bid to go with. could be possible job loss. people have been leaving left and right while others are sticking it out. it's very slow now since not many people are there and it's a huge co.

meanwhile i went on an interview a headhunter setup. i wasn't really looking that much but i thought, why not, i'll go. it's IT with 1 person running the show...would be just me with help from some other guy when he isn't traveling in the field. i like working with a team but i would be the team. i would do helpdesk AND IT and placing orders for pcs! basically, a one man show for 200 users. i'm used to there being a helpdesk, an IT and an ordering dept for the assets. this job pays a little less..not that much, but less. BUT....it's a job. i wasn't too impressed with the interview although all the people were nice. i was interviewing them more than they were interviewing me. i left feeling like i wasted my time. the headhunter calls me back saying i really impressed them = 2nd interview. didn't want to go but did. i met with 2 IT guys who are moving on in the co. they were nice too and said it's a really nice place to work for. it's still downtown. i felt a little better about it but still wasn't really moved.

2 weeks later i find they want to offer me the job! this was yesterday. i don't know what to do. we are going to be closing on our new home we had built, in a week, as most of you know. i need a job of course...big mortgage! no one but the bigwigs really know what will happen. my crew is going to stick it out. i would hate to be out of a job and pass on this one due to some feeling. but i would hate to go to something i'm not too fond of, to find out that we are keeping our jobs.

this new job needs to know NOW! i held them off today and didn't call them so i could think this over. it's really bothering me. i don't think anyone can help me....it's tough...just needed to post this.

steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 03:42 AM

Re: advice on job situation

Is there anybody you can trust in your present company for some insight? Or is it that nobody really knows except the . . . bigwigs . . . well, you already answered that, I guess.

Hope it looks better after some sleep. Good luck.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 10:33 AM

Stick it out but ask your headhunter to continue hunting for you. If something better than what you have now comes up, take it. You don't happen to work for a bank, do you?

Last edited by Ibateur; 06-14-2007 at 10:38 AM.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

i'm looking at sticking it out. i figured i would be losing $170 a month by moving. benefits are $100 more a month alone. no i don't work for a bank. stock exchange.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 11:11 AM

I hate those places where you feel like you're interviewing them more than they interview you- it's like the interviewer is trying to be clever and judge you by what you don't know about the job... or they're not clever at all and cannot conduct an interview. On the other hand, if they liked you, that can be a good sign.

Nevertheless, even a "meh" job (where you can learn different skills and responsibilities that look nice on a resume) is much better than a job that might not exist in a month.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 11:14 AM

The grass isn't always greener...

While you still have a job, you don't need to move for less money. I'd wait and see what happens, you never know the takeover might present some new oppportunities internally.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

yeah, i'm leaning to not going to "greener" areas. i would be losing close to $200 a month with increased benefits coverage. i'm going to call her this morning.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 12:20 PM

Moving for less money isn't a great option. If the company looking to take you over isn't going to simply close up your shop then there's no reason to move, really. If the users are staying put support will still be needed. I'm not sure how a stock exchange merger would go, but again, as long as the users stay in place they'll need to be supported.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

just turned it down. now she wants to know how much more money i want??
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 02:10 PM

let the negotiating begin!!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 02:20 PM

Does your company have any particular intellectual property that the other companies want to purchase? Products, patents, etc.? Or is your company more of a service company? If product lines and patents are the main draw to purchase your company, I would not be surprised if they lay many of you off, and just keep the product line and the patents. I've gone through layoffs about 3 times. For the time being, assume that you are going to get laid off.

If your company provides services rather than products, you may have a greater likelihood of surviving the merger. Also, if you have specialized systems / training that they need, you are more likely to survive it, as well.

Would you be getting severance if you got laid off? That's a big question. I had a very good severance package during one layoff, and a really crappy one during another layoff. Assume that you are going to get laid off. If you had a good severance package, that could buy you some time in finding another decent job. If you will not be getting a good severance package, then I'd definitely be going for the new job that you've been offered.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster View Post
just turned it down. now she wants to know how much more money i want??
Well....at least 40% more than current I would think with all comparable benefits. I had one of my guys leave in January for a 100% raise, so the money is out there for top notch people.

And if you get it, celebrate at Shula's
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

it's the stock exchange and the MERC is looking at buying. i have to call this lady back. not sure what number to give her but another thing on my mind is i would be the only IT and helpdesk combined. just me. that is a lot of work. i could bargain. not sure what to bargain for. never been a part of anything like this. 40% sounds like a lot but i just don't know how high they would go. she said they really want me.....ok.....well what is their $$ cap? i have been through 5 mergers.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 03:12 PM

That's tough. It would be a lot of work, I can vouch for that because I've "been there and done that" at one of my prior jobs. You can PM me if you want. It's better to HAVE a job and look for another, than to find yourself suddenly without one.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 03:22 PM

Yeah, it would be tough, but if they meet your price you should be set, right? If you're cool with staying put then feel free to ask for the moon. You never know...I personally wouldn't accept less than 40% to move on from where I am now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode