AFC/NFL - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

AFC/NFL

Hey,
Someone explain the difference? Is one of a lesser standard than the other? And, they both merge for the Superbowl games right?

Football Newbie here!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 06:11 PM

Re: AFC/NFL

I was wrong once before, but I believe NFL is the League (well, I know that part), and AFC and NFC are Conferences. The way baseball has American League and the National League, and Hockey (in the day) Had the Norris, Adams, Patrick and Smythe Divsions
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 06:46 PM

NFL is the league.

There are 2 conferences-

AFC.

NFC.

The winner of each conference play each other in the Superbowl.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 01:36 AM

Rivera's got it! Question answered, so I would love to hijack this thread for a moment. Consider that there are football fans who are just as . . .well, fanatic, about the sport as we are about high-end Ibanez guitars. Who have no idea who Steve Vai is and (couldn't care less if they found out) but could recite their favorite player's numbers by heart.

I mean, do any of you ever consider that something that means so much to you and your life means absolutely nothing to some other person? My co-workers and family can't grasp my obsession.

Oh gosh, it's late, I'm tired, and rambling. I'm gonna go to bed now . . .
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 02:18 AM

Yeah, music more so than sports is an individual thing.

I think it requires a certain type of intellect (not bettr or worse), just different, to like music the way we do to those who put it on as background noise.

BTW- In 2007, there will be a regular season game coming to London, played at Wembley & the rumour is it could be my Giants!!!!

I'm well happy, i get to see Big Mike kick some ass!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Rivera.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 10:51 AM

For a little history- as to why there are those two conferences- the NFC conference (that is, its constituent teams) used to be the NFL proper, while the AFC was a separate upstart league that started afterwards. Eventually, the AFC merged with NFL. I'm sure the details are more complicated than that, but there's the summary to add to what has already been explained.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 11:01 AM

Reviews: 18

American football is not my cup of tea, it shouldn't even be called football. There already is a sport called football and the only country in which is called something else is in the US.

Jimmy
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 05:20 PM

I believe Gridiron is the official term for it?

It'd make sense to call it Gridiron rather than football since only the kicker uses his foot.

Soccer comes from the word "Association" Football.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 10:12 PM

US Football was played different than it is today, just like basketball used to have an actual basket with a bottom. Anyway, the arguement is like macs vs pcs, dogs vs cats....you like what you like (usually what you played as a child).
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 10:18 PM

yep they got it right .

i think it would be more intersting if they pitted the two division aginst each other for the entire playoff picture , like the number 1 seed from both divsions play each other then the number 2 ,so on and so fourth that way you dont have a weak team making it because the entire division is weak except like 2 teams.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 10:30 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

they've added a half-dozen teams since many of us were born and now 2 extra "divisions". i think the NFL is substandard and like all other sports, would greatly benefit from the removal of 4-6 teams for better competition myself... like it was before the NFL's primary concern was TV ratings and TV revenue.

some good recaps here:
http://www.football.com/history/index.shtml

and here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFL-NFL_Merger

longer read here (start in the 60s)
http://www.nfl.com/history/chronology/1961-1970
... glen
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
For a little history- as to why there are those two conferences- the NFC conference (that is, its constituent teams) used to be the NFL proper, while the AFC was a separate upstart league that started afterwards. Eventually, the AFC merged with NFL
i thought the 'seperate upstart league' was the AFL, and then became the AFC when it merged with the NFL
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette6600 View Post
i thought the 'seperate upstart league' was the AFL, and then became the AFC when it merged with the NFL
Oops, you're right- it was called the AFL before the merger.

Tags
ibanez guitars , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode