Albums that grew on you? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Albums that grew on you?

I was wondering if anybody has a similar experience to mine:

Listening to all of Satch's stuff (as i do on a regular basis) and I found myself for the most part skipping "Strange Beautiful Music" but after a few listens all the way through, I realized that that album is totally awesome. Now it's one of my favorites.

Anybody else have a breakthrough album?

If so, what was it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 11:33 PM

Re: Albums that grew on you?

My first thought when I read the question was Strange Beautiful Music. Great grooves on that album. and it has been more recently that I find myself playing that album more and more.

Last edited by satchmo72; 06-20-2015 at 09:05 PM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 06:52 AM

Reviews: 21

"Eliminator" by ZZ Top. I used to not like ZZ Top because all I knew about them as a kid was the MTV stuff...and that was all from "Eliminator". Then as an adult I heard "Rio Grande Mud" and "Tres Hombres" and life changed. Eventually "Eliminator" grew on me too.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo72 View Post
My first thought when I read the question was Strange Beautiful Music. Great grooves on that album. and it has been more recently that find myself playing that album more and more.
exactly!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 12:25 PM

Reviews: 13

Everthing from The Beatles and Pink Floyd.

Never really appreciated any of them, but all of a sudden they started growing, and today they are all part of my personal album collection.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 08:45 PM

Reviews: 21

Yes, Pink Floyd for me too. When I was in high school I thought they were just a stoner band and didn't like that they played nothing really up tempo.
I used to detest "The Wall" and now its one of my favorite records. Gilmour is amazing!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 11:40 PM

Queensryche's "Operation Mindcrime"... I was a huge fan, but the first single released was "Speak" and I didn't like the direction I thought they had gone. A year or so ago I started listening to it and now it is a favorite!!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 03:44 AM

Soundgarden's 'Superunknown' and Mastodon's 'Crack The Skye'. I was really into STP at the time of Superunknown and didn't get it, it was too different or perhaps dissonant for me at the time. 'Crack' was the same but one day it came on shuffle and it just clicked. Both in the top ten albums ever for me.

Ditto Mike570 - but for me it was Floyd's DSOTM - Gilmour is amazing!!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 10:44 PM

I don't have a specific album that jolts to mind, but I've noticed that about a good portion of the music I now love.

I instinctually put up a block, then realize it's pretty good and wonder what the hell I was thinking trying to cast it aside.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 12:37 PM

Nah, Strange Beautiful Music still sucks. It sounds more like a demo than an actual release, and in fact that was the album that got me serious about working on mine, because it was the first Satch record that seemed "attainable."

For me, Tom Waits' "Mule Variations" is probably the biggest. He's kind of an acquired taste, but once you get it... Man, what an album.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Queensryche's "Operation Mindcrime"... I was a huge fan, but the first single released was "Speak" and I didn't like the direction I thought they had gone. A year or so ago I started listening to it and now it is a favorite!!
Always been a fan of Operation. To me it's one of the best records of the 80's. The guitar playing on that album is phenomenal.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo72 View Post
Always been a fan of Operation. To me it's one of the best records of the 80's. The guitar playing on that album is phenomenal.
I agree... I really dig the guitar work and Tate's vocals. It was weird just discovering it a year or so ago. I wore out their earlier albums and Empire years ago, but due to one iffy radio single I just skipped Mindcrime. Empire is phenomenal and an all time favorite of mine too. I tried learning a few Queensryche songs during the last year and quickly gained even MORE appreciation for what they did! Chord structures and progressions from another dimension... so strange and ingenious... no wonder they have such a unique sound. Currently beyond my skill level to play fluidly...
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 11:48 PM

Discipline by King Crimson is definitely one that needed to grow on me It's a great album but can be tough on first listen.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 10:02 PM

It wasn't my first, but Timo Tolkki's Avalon: Angels of the Apocalypse didn't sit well with me the first 3 or 4 listens... then I listened to it and went straight into the Land of New Hope (it's designed to be a 3 album metal opera, part 3, the beginning part, hasn't been released yet) and after listening to it consecutively, Angels really stuck with me. Also, I finally saw the musical direction Timo Tolkki wanted to take on that album and it made perfect sense.

Another album, very recently, that grew on me was Cain's Offering: Stormcrow. I had heard the teaser stuff on youtube and wasn't entirely impressed... Then I heard the full title track. Got on Amazon and ordered the Japanese release faster than Underdog can change clothes. AMAZING album that I haven't stopped listening to for almost a whole month now. Literally, it's almost all I have listened to for a whole month. Album of the year, hands down.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I agree... I really dig the guitar work and Tate's vocals. It was weird just discovering it a year or so ago. I wore out their earlier albums and Empire years ago, but due to one iffy radio single I just skipped Mindcrime. Empire is phenomenal and an all time favorite of mine too. I tried learning a few Queensryche songs during the last year and quickly gained even MORE appreciation for what they did! Chord structures and progressions from another dimension... so strange and ingenious... no wonder they have such a unique sound. Currently beyond my skill level to play fluidly...
Everyone was big on mindcrime back then. My mother loved that album so I had to listen to it all the time. My fav QR record is Rage for order. Much more proggy and the music is varied across tracks. A much more cohesive album, imo than MC. I love mindcrime (spreading the disease and The Mission are my fav tracks on that album) but something about Rage for order just seems better musically to me. Dunno, different strokes for different genitals.

Tags
joe , satriani , strange beautiful music

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode