Alex Rodriguez, Baseball, and the Yankees Saga continues... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 12
Red face Alex Rodriguez, Baseball, and the Yankees Saga continues...

Really though, is anyone watching this season unfold?

Yankees sign C.C. Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, and Mark Texiera (What a good off season!) And this isn't even their biggest news

The World Baseball Classic is upon us again...

MLB starts their own Network, and it's AWESOME!!!

Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds are in deep doo doo...

Joe Torre writes a tell all book causing controversy until...

Alex Rodriguez has his name leaked out of 104 players who tested positive on an anonymous list that was seized by the federal government, and of course we find out it was 4 other players who leaked his name...Now he's apologized, and told the truth about things, and has to address the media today at 1pm EST...I'll be watching

Miguel Tejada cried over his lies...

Albert Pujols can't get insured to play in the World Baseball Classic...

What a crazy season, and it hasn't even started...All I can say is after this season another World Series Championship for the Yankees would be nice...Derek Jeter needs 6 more rings to tie Yogi!

Last edited by DEADTUNES666; 02-17-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 09:03 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Alex Rodriguez, Baseball, and the Yankees Saga continues...

baseball is pathetic. i mean the fact that Bud Selig had as $17million salary is all you need to know about the sport. The yankees - great signings - are a complete disgrace too. Doubling ticket prices, making less seats (to justify higher demand) and NY taxpayers building their new sandbox. Even worse is the ever disgraceful Hank who RESIGNED A-ROID after he opted out of his contract, ridding the yankees of this choke-artist diva. Now Hank & co. will pay A-Fraud $5-6 million each time he breaks a homerun milestone over the next 9 years.... $20-25 MILLION extra bonus cash for a steroid abuser.

What a pathetically run organization that is saved only by the fact the YES network gets ~$2 from everyone in the tri-state area with a television... glen
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 09:47 AM

I was disappointed to hear about ARod, as I had thought he'd have been clean. He certainly didn't gain much from steroids. To be honest though, I was angrier about the crap that Phelps went through, but that isn't baseball. Baseball has become almost entirely irrelevant to me. I grew up a die hard Yankees fan, but I don't watch the sport anymore.

But, I had not heard that ARod's name was leaked by ball players, where did you see that?
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 09:54 AM
site founder 0% owner

jim, you gotta realize he gained two $200+ million contracts from steriods. plus the ability to jack every bad pitch over the fence instead of it becoming a pop out at the wall... plus the ability to recover from injuries faster... see the ball better... react quicker (unnaturally). That entire generation of players are tainted forever with Barry, Roger and Arod sitting at the top... glen
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Red face Re: Alex Rodriguez, Baseball, and the Yankees Saga continues...

Well...baseball got past the Blacksox of 1919, blacklisting, the depression, women playing when men couldn't, the color barrier, threats to Maris and Aaron, walkouts, the big cocaine scandal, striking the World Series away, and Pete Rose...I think it will endure and right itself as it always does...

It used to be that the players were lifelong poorly paid servants to the ball club with almost no say about their futures, and now the tables are turned as they scramble to collect every penny they can by whatever means necessary, because you never know how long it's going to last. It doesn't make it right but it sure adds a fair amount of irony to the mix!

They doctor the ball all kinds of ways, and steal signs, they've lowered the mound, shortened the fences, just about banned throwing inside or hitting a batter, so of course the players would see how far it could go...does the steroid issue even matter anymore?

It's still a great game, and I predict that the Yankees will have a triumphant year...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
But, I had not heard that ARod's name was leaked by ball players, where did you see that?
ESPN had that news as an aside item, although it should have been bigger! Apparently the woman who broke the A-Rod story got her info from 4 top players. I don't know who they are but I'm sure it will all come out eventually...As will all 104 names!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
jim, you gotta realize he gained two $200+ million contracts from steriods. plus the ability to jack every bad pitch over the fence instead of it becoming a pop out at the wall... plus the ability to recover from injuries faster... see the ball better... react quicker (unnaturally). That entire generation of players are tainted forever with Barry, Roger and Arod sitting at the top... glen
Well, who knows if what he's admitting to is the actual truth, but I thought he said he started steroids when he went to Texas. In that case, he got his first 200 Mil contract pre steroids and the second one post. But he never hit 60+ homers like some of these guys, and he's got 50+ homer seasons when he was "clean" or cleanish, or who knows what. I just didn't think he'd be dumb enough (yeah, I said it) to do it. I've seen him speak, and recognize that if not for David Beckham he would be the single stupidest human to make a living as an athlete, but I still thought he'd be smart enough to stay off the roids.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 12:31 PM
site founder 0% owner

he's a proven liar... just last week about the SI writer in his confession and obviously last year to katie couric (an interview which could have declined BTW). Gene Orza was tipping off players in '02 and 104 people FAILED with advanced notice and help when the screening was being done for the first tiem!

I wouldn't put it past him using since high school (take a scrawny kid to the next level) but his stats point to continual use circa late 90s when his HR total doubled in '98. Notice his doubles went down from 54 in '96 as his HRs climbed.

HUGE OBVIOUS RED FLAG.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/...V8dZANypmFCLcF

He was just smart enough to have trainers work him to be in baseball shape to play SS and not be a body-builder who would become a lumbering DH (ie. Mcguire, Sosa, Danny Tartabull late 90s, Jay Buhner (seattle connection), Pudge obviously and Conseco) etc.)

NO WAY he started using AFTER the 1st contract. Remember there is no testing for human growth hormones (and the blood tests detect only for about a day or two after injestion/injection).
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Vendor

Go Phils
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 01:49 PM

Yeah, the Phils generated a lot of excitement down here last year.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Vendor

So did the Eagles, both cheers and tears
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 02:11 PM

Not to go too off topic, but the Eagles indoctrination down in South Jersey is absolutely insane. It was bad enough that kids who wore Eagles shirts to school were told in advance they wouldn't get homework, but they held in school rallies as well, and the TV stations went out to film them like it was the greatest thing ever. It was literally 'conform or be punished' indoctrination aimed at kids who weren't even 10 years old yet. Coming from NYC, I thought it was like stepping into a bad novel or something. Maybe it's like that everywhere there's only one team, but I surprised to see it.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Alright, no hijacking the baseball into a football thread!!!

The A-Rod thing was pretty good and fairly heartfelt...

GO YANKS!!!!!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 03:54 PM

Didn't ARod have a news conference today, an "answer all questions" sort of thing? How did that go? (I haven't seen anything on it yet).
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Vendor

Puhlease, none of it was his words. That was written by some publisist and rehersed 20 times, and he still had trouble reading it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode