Ancestors - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Ancestors

I started working on family tree stuff again after a couple months break. It's really interesting and I've only scratched the surface. WAY too many bloodlines and people having children! I have only traced back the main line of grandparents to great grandparents, etc...whoever is responsible for me being here. It would take a good couple years to trace back each sibling of each parent through time. Anyway, I just came across this photo circa 1850, of my great great great grandparents.

Basically, it's my grandmother's great grandparents on the mother's side...eh, it gets confusing. Most my relatives are from Germany and Austria, then Italy.

John and Mary Becker:

http://o.mfcreative.com/f1/file05/ob...9b925a37-0.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 05:09 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: Ancestors

I'm directly related to-
Quees Elizabeth's nurse (essentially her "acting mom")
Rebecca Bryan (Daniel Boones wife)

I forgot the other guy so I'll have to post again when I remember lol
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I took over custodianship of my family tree when my grandpa passed away back in 1988. Some interesting things in that tree! First, let me share some info with you folks--just in case you didn't know this. If you have a family crest with three of the same item somewhere on the crest (usually on the shield portion)--then you had an ancestor that fought in one of the crusades. It is also possible to have 2 family crests (not one from the mother's side and one from the father's side), for the reason mentioned above. There was already a family crest, but then a family gets an additional one for the crusades. On my father's side--we have 2 crests. One is the "regular" one and another for the family member that fought in one of the crusades. The three items on my crusader crest are three yellow fish.

Some other things I found out via family history and my continuing research:
Father's side--related to William the Conqueror
--the first documented Tipton was Sir Anthony DeTipton--the one that
fought in the crusades.

Mother's side--Related to Anne Boleyn

More interesting family fun--William Shatner has been a family friend since I was very young--back in the late 60's. I've always called him Uncle Bill. My dad's cousin is Kenny Koch--he was the producer for T.J. Hooker. They were friends before that, though. Uncle Bill shows horses, as does my Aunt Sherri. They still meet at events and usually have lunch and catch up.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 05:49 PM

My Family tree on my Mother's side has been traced back to survivors of the Spanish Armada that landed in Donegal, Ireland after being defeated by the English forces in 1588. All my Mum's side have very dark hair... etc!!! Strange but True..
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 06:50 PM

I recently found out that I'm descended from vikings who invaded Scotland and England. So THAT'S why I'm totally metal.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie View Post
I recently found out that I'm descended from vikings who invaded Scotland and England. So THAT'S why I'm totally metal.
Same here! Those were the Normans led by William the Conqueror. We just may be distant cousins, Petie!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 09:55 AM

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
LOL!!!
I think half of us Jemsiters are related:

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 06:10 PM

Reviews: 4

My great grandfather was Frank Joseph Dremel, a 3X inductee to the polka hall of fame. He played the Button-box, which since he passed, the button box has resided in my house since.

I'm also related to johnny appleseed (whatever his real name was). and Rebeka Dremelj [sic], who was miss slovenia '00 (or '01), and a pop star.

No, this is not a joke.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 08:07 PM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Same here! Those were the Normans led by William the Conqueror. We just may be distant cousins, Petie!
My family are directly descended from one of the Norman nobles who invaded. My question is: where is my f***ing castle?!

I think that there is an urban myth, similar to the Kevin Bacon 7 degrees of separation, that basically everyone of English descent is related to William the Conquerer somewhere.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode