Another computer question. (Boot from another HDD) - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
Another computer question. (Boot from another HDD)

Hey! I have a newer (but dead) PC and I just harvested the HDD for my older PC. The new one had vista and this one has XP. Since they were different computers it is incompatible for me to boot. It gets almost to the start screen and start over. Tried safe mode, same thing. I can get around that hard drive fine on when I boot from my old (original) HDD, obviously.
The reason I would like to boot from it is the convenience of actually getting around the drive in an intuitive way. It is really difficult to work with the stuff I had on it from my main drive.
What do I do? Do I need to reinstall the OS or something? I could do that if I have to. Or are there files I could copy from my C drive to the other drive... or are there any programs I can use? I'd just like a little walk-through if it is possible. Thanks!

By the way, this thread has nothing to do with my other thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Re: Another computer question. (Boot from another HDD)

Bumptiy bump.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 01:02 PM

The hDD from the other machine likely used a different motherboard and peripherals and has those drivers installed on that image. Also, windows knows what it was installed on as it keeps record of this stuff.

Chances are that if you want it to be the boot drive you will have to reinstall windows. But first I would retrieve anything on it that you wanted to keep.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 09:29 PM

Reviews: 2

Your best solution is to install whatever programs you were using on the old drive onto the new one, then import your data files as needed. You won't be able to boot from the old ACER drive because of the reason POS mentioned.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I see. So if I want to set up a multi-boot, I can just reinstall the OS, then move the data back? There is also a registry back up on the hard drive... will that be useful, or will that present hardware conflicts as mentioned above?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
Ok, I see. So if I want to set up a multi-boot, I can just reinstall the OS, then move the data back? There is also a registry back up on the hard drive... will that be useful, or will that present hardware conflicts as mentioned above?
I'm confused a bit.......You can re-install the OS on the old drive (while in the new puter) but it will wipe the drive clean in the format process. You can't do a repair install AFAIK.

If you move all of your files into a single folder on the new drive you can the re-format the old one in your new machine. It will then load drivers for the new machine. The only problem will be if you want to put the old drive back into the old lappy............
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I'm confused a bit.......You can re-install the OS on the old drive (while in the new puter) but it will wipe the drive clean in the format process. You can't do a repair install AFAIK.

If you move all of your files into a single folder on the new drive you can the re-format the old one in your new machine. It will then load drivers for the new machine. The only problem will be if you want to put the old drive back into the old lappy............
Oops, yeah that's basically what I meant. I already have the data all copied to other drives now.
I meant to clarify as well, this is a hard drive from a completely different computer, that I just intend to use as a second hard-drive on my computer. Sorry for the confusion.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
Oops, yeah that's basically what I meant. I already have the data all copied to other drives now.
I meant to clarify as well, this is a hard drive from a completely different computer, that I just intend to use as a second hard-drive on my computer. Sorry for the confusion.

Got it..... yeah, your on the right track then. Just do a clean install on the second drive then import your files again...... you'll be good to go.

This is the same way I run my computer. I have 3 drives, each with it's own OS to boot from. Any time I have a problem with one, I can boot from another. One drive is for recording only- it hasn't been used in a LONG time....LOL
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 11:18 PM

It's always good to keep system backups as a sidenote.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS RG View Post
It's always good to keep system backups as a sidenote.
Amen to that!!! It's saved my back a few times.

I've also lost some really important stuff in the past because I didn't have a backup.......lesson learned.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 05:01 PM

Easiest way to do this is with a USB stick ≥ 4b.

Download Unetbootin, and Ubuntu (or another Live Linux distribution) from a working PC that you have administrator rights to.

Then use Unetbootin to create a 'live', runable disk using the Linux Distribution you downloaded, the steps are fairlly self explanitory, but there are also a bunch of walkthroughs online

Insert the USB stick into a USB port on the computer

From the BIOS (i.e. when the computer first starts up, usually at the manufacturers Logo popping up (about a second or less into the boot process)), press F8 (sometimes F2 and sometimes F12) and select the USB stick from the "Boot Menu",

this will boot into a small menu, asking you essentially what you want to do. Select "Try Linux without installing", and then it will boot you into an live Operating System, and it will mount the disks for you. You can then access (though usually not write to) the disk you're trying to access.

This can also be done using a burned CD if your computer won't recognized a bootable USB stick (though most over the past 9-10 years do).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode