Another reason I love to see Vai & Satch - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Another reason I love to see Vai & Satch

Like most members of this forum, I am a huge Vai and Satriani fan. I have to say there is something I appreciate about their concerts (or at least the ones I have seen).....they don't get up there and preach about politics like 90% of the other artists in the music industry. They seem to acknowledge that we paid to see a concert, not a seminar. To other artists that may read this forum that disagree...It is not your responsibilty to educate the public of your political beliefs. So, don't even try to use that excuse anymore. Again, we paid to see you play music, not run your mouth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 05:09 PM
HSH

Re: Another reason I love to see Vai & Satch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchBox View Post
Like most members of this forum, I am a huge Vai and Satriani fan. I have to say there is something I appreciate about their concerts (or at least the ones I have seen).....they don't get up there and preach about politics like 90% of the other artists in the music industry. They seem to acknowledge that we paid to see a concert, not a seminar. To other artists that may read this forum that disagree...It is not your responsibilty to educate the public of your political beliefs. So, don't even try to use that excuse anymore. Again, we paid to see you play music, not run your mouth.
Amen, brudda
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 05:11 PM

Good point
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 05:13 PM

so you dont like the dixie chicks huh?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 07:27 PM

I half agree. On one hand, when you pay to see a show, you're not there for a lecture or "public service announcement" (as Springsteen refers to his little speeches), but on the other hand, to imply that artists have nothing to say regarding political and social matters is simply wrong. Leaving the political thinking to politicians and pundits has at least in the US simply left a divided country in a time where we should be seeking common ground.

Compromise: got something to say, put it in a song- that's the point of the artistic medium, right?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 07:52 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchBox View Post
Thing is that Vai sorta runs his mouth alot in concert. "spear britney" schtick, ricky martin digs... really lame attempts at humor that weren't funny. i believe some are in the DVD. Thankfully Satch just plays.

I don't much care either way, but I must say i do respect the artists (such as the dixie chicks) who speak out and actually RISK their career instead of playing it safe like a corporate shill and pop zombie.

I recall seeing U2 way back when and Steve Van Zandt's band opened (long before sopranos was a twinkle in david chase's eye) and he did some political discussion which the packed football stadiums didn't seem to mind.

i'd also say most of these musicians/artists care about things and have a more keen awareness about certain greater goods than most of the "elected officials" (ie total jacka$$es) on capitol hill and oval office.. glen
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Thing is that Vai sorta runs his mouth alot in concert. n
There is a difference between "running your mouth" and communicating (becoming as ONE with the crowd) I think that is essential for making the atomsphere and and giving the crowd a feeling of closeness

Just IMHO!

Plus it's ALL positive. You'll never hear negative comment #1

Musicians having a keener awareness than (insert dults) = No Brainer Bono for president

Last edited by JJEMMER777; 05-07-2007 at 08:28 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode