Another small issue with youtube - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Another small issue with youtube

Like a lot of guys on here, I go on youtube to watch my fav artists. However, as youtube grows this is becoming a challenge. There are way too many guys (young & old) putting up videos of themselves playing a famous artist's song (like Vai or Satch etc.) which makes it kind of a pain in the ass when you are surfing the artist's songs. Guys..get creative..create your own stuff. If I wanna see For The Love Of God, I wanna see it done by Vai not..well you get the picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 07:08 AM

Re: Another small issue with youtube

I've been saying this for ages because it's true.

Why the hell would you want to watch some kid in his bedroom try and do a note for note cover of a Vai song when you could watch the real thing?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchBox View Post
Guys....create your own stuff.
Yes..please do It's sooooo much more rewarding to write your own material than to just play something someone else wrote.

I agree 100% L.B and Davey!! I'm not into the cover thing at ALL! If that means you can't make it in bars, then make a CD instead

~ROCK~
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 07:26 AM

Well....if you want to see Vai play it then go and BUY his dvd It's what they release them for y'know

Who knows....maybe the artist might make a penny or two out of the extra sale
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post
Well....if you want to see Vai play it then go and BUY his dvd
Better yet, go see him live It'll change your world
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 07:29 AM

Oh no doubt, but when he only has a handful of DVDs out, you have to search for the unreleased stuff
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
Better yet, go see him live It'll change your world
Bit awkward at the mo....he's thousands of miles away
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 07:37 AM

Just to reiterate -

WRITE YOUR OWN STUFF
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 08:26 AM

Reviews: 6

The thing with covers, is that most people want to show off how well (or not) they can play a song its just for showcasing their skills. thats what i believe anyway.

And if you play a damn good cover you can make everyone else feel bad, that they can't play as good as you.

When i do watch covers i see how different people handle a particular part of a song that i may be stuck with or how they actually play the song.

Nothing wrong with a good cover every now and then.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike239 View Post
And if you play a damn good cover you can make everyone else feel bad, that they can't play as good as you.
You mean that they cannot play someone else's material as good as you??

I totally agree that covers are important for learning guitar (song structure, etc.) and of course in bar gigs where drunken people want to hear familiar tunes. But there comes a time when you need to take the "NEXT STEP"

It's soo much more rewarding musically writing your "own" tunes and being proud to play them

Especially on the rare occasion when someone actually applauds
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
You mean that they cannot play someone else's material as good as you??
Yeah

Quote:
But there comes a time when you need to take the "NEXT STEP"

It's soo much more rewarding musically writing your "own" tunes and being proud to play them

Especially on the rare occasion when someone actually applauds
Yeah writing your own music can get you out in the spotlight, if your lucky enough And it is fun to write your own stuff and experiment with tunes, i've had a go at it and i ain't that good....yet.

But having a large repertoire of someone else's songs is also good. Like i said previously covers are a good way to show off your skills at playing other peoples music.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 09:27 AM

another thing i noticed is that some of them aren't just doing covers of satch, they are trying to look like him too, wearing sunglasses in their bedrooms........

I really hate seeing that, i'd rather see someone that has a satch style of playing, but showing off their own stuff and not doing his songs and his looks, and then butchering it in the end.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer2 View Post
another thing i noticed is that some of them aren't just doing covers of satch, they are trying to look like him too, wearing sunglasses in their bedrooms........

I really hate seeing that, i'd rather see someone that has a satch style of playing, but showing off their own stuff and not doing his songs and his looks, and then butchering it in the end.
But have you seent he Buckethead covers , apparently everytime you do a buckethead cover you have to wear a bucket as well.
Well you don't have to people just do it beacuse their playing buckethead
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 10:22 AM

Reviews: 3

I don't have a problem with people playing other artist's tunes on Youtube. Sometimes I'll watch someone else butcher some song I'm trying to learn just to make myself feel better

The results are sorted by most popular for a reason. If you're searching for the original version, then it's almost always the first result. And then there's screen caps. If it's some teenager sitting in a bedroom then don't click it expecting Steve Vai!

It's been useful for my own playing, too. I've learned the acoustic version of Sonata Arctica's 'Mary Lou' by watching Jani's fingers on footage that isn't available anywhere else.

Tags
steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode