Anvil!! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
Anvil!!

Has anyone seen the clips for 'Anvil! The Story of Anvil'? It's about a band from Canada who opened for groups like the Scorpions in 1984, but never made it big. They're on their 13th album and still trying. One of their fans who became a roadie for them in the 80's went on to become a screenwriter ('The Terminal') and did a documentary on them. It all seems so Spinal Tap you would think it's made up, but I don't think it is. I'm definitely going to check it out, but I'm not sure if it will make any theatres around here. I heard they were showing the movie, and then playing afterwords.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 03:05 PM

Re: Anvil!!

They've landed a pretty good support slot again:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8093020.stm
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 03:06 PM

Every time I tune into VH1 they have a commercial for that movie. Apparently they bought the rights to it.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 03:11 PM

I've watched it. Good docu. I remember the band from the 80's so I was really looking forward to it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 05:11 PM

Not seen it, a friend of mine has and recommended it, but it only went round a few cinemas in the uk. Want to see it on dvd.
Jim
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 05:51 PM

I saw them here in Memphis a few weeks ago for the one time screening. They played a set in the theater after the show, which was really cool. And they were actually really good!

Anyways, when I walked up the the theater, nobody was there, and Lips was just chilling on one of the couches eating popcorn. So we chatted for a second.

LOL, nothing like a "metal" crowd...

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 10:04 PM

Reviews: 22

awesome man, I really want to see the documentary and seeing them perform afterwards would really top it off for me.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
Every time I tune into VH1 they have a commercial for that movie. Apparently they bought the rights to it.
Yeah right, I know!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
I've watched it. Good docu. I remember the band from the 80's so I was really looking forward to it.
I do not remember them and never heard of them till now. And I was really into the '80s!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 02:15 AM

I am absolutely syked about the documentary! Cannot wait to see it. Good guys, I'm glad they stayed with it, but also I feel bad for them at the sametime. That's how it is, not everyone makes it. But you know what, they made it now and I'm glad. I hope the original members all make millions now or at least enough so they don't have to worry anymore. Moreover, every band is on the edge of becoming "Spinal Tap" /ish until they make it big, so don't pat yourself on the back until you are more than a one-hit-wonder!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
I saw them here in Memphis a few weeks ago for the one time screening. They played a set in the theater after the show, which was really cool. And they were actually really good!

Anyways, when I walked up the the theater, nobody was there, and Lips was just chilling on one of the couches eating popcorn. So we chatted for a second.
Great story!! I hope they do a screening around here, but I doubt it. How long was the set they played?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotalk View Post
Great story!! I hope they do a screening around here, but I doubt it. How long was the set they played?
The set wasn't too long. Maybe 35 minutes. Too bad they didn't play more!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 05:04 PM

i watched it. the ads say "the real life spinal tap". i didnt think that at all. it was the story of some guys that were big, and didnt go anywhere. to call em spinal tap is kinda dismissive. i thought it was a great movie, and a great story. that guy Lips really seems to love it even after all these years. go check it out. good story.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoGiant View Post
i watched it. the ads say "the real life spinal tap". i didnt think that at all. it was the story of some guys that were big, and didnt go anywhere. to call em spinal tap is kinda dismissive. i thought it was a great movie, and a great story. that guy Lips really seems to love it even after all these years. go check it out. good story.
The clips show them missing a train, and playing to a "packed house" of like 5 people, and things like that; I think that's why they say "the real life Spinal Tap." Does this movie pull the heartstrings more?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 04:45 AM

This documentary is floating around the "free movie" sites all over the net. Yes, it's decent.

Mike
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 06:15 AM

anvil is nice.i have a lot of records of them.i only have old records.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode