Any complaints about the 5G iPod? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Any complaints about the 5G iPod?

Hello guys,
I plan to buy one but had to ask you guys if any of you have had any problems with the device. I've read a lot about it and had a look at my friend's one, so far a nice gadget. My only concern is the battery. Some iPod's in the past had the problem of battery dying after 1,5 year.
And what about the video playback? Is it satisfying? Not that I'm going to be watching videos that much but on long trips, why not? I've heard that after 2-3 hours of video playback you have to recharge the battery. Is this true?
Anyway, unless one of you guys have something really bad to say about it, I might reconsider buying it but for the moment I'm buying it.
It's funny actually, I have been an md guy for 5+ years and always said that MDs rocked the hell out of iPod's becouse the latter is so big and all. Apple shut me up forever it seems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 01:24 AM

Re: Any complaints about the 5G iPod?

Ive got a 4GB mini its great but the only problem is the battery.If i charge it overnight on a full battery it lasts for about 6hrs.Ive had it for nearly a year.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 02:00 AM

I've got a 30GB model. I've only had it since Christmas, so I know little about the battery except that they've had some issues. The salesman talked my mother-in-law into buying the extended warranty.

If you're in a car, you can pick up a charger easy enough.

As far as video quality goes, I loaded The Audience Is Listening, which I got from Vai's site. It had the digital appearance in the first place, and it had the same digital appearance that you get with a downloaded video. I don't have anything else to put on the iPod to compare it to.

I'm not sure the 5GB model does video.

My only real complaint with the iPod is now I can't figure out how to get the video off it.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd111
My only real complaint with the iPod is now I can't figure out how to get the video off it.
From my limited experience with iPods, it seems like you have to do everything from iTunes, which includes removing media.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyconxero
From my limited experience with iPods, it seems like you have to do everything from iTunes, which includes removing media.
No, there's other software available. I however do use iTunes. But iTunes has imported the video from the rest of my collection, and I can't figure out (there's no easily visible option) to send it back. You know, like right click, and click export or delete. Anyway, I'm not trying to highjack this thread...
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 05:15 PM

i work part time as an electronic goods sales man and I must return atleast 5 a day (personally) from a 9million pound per year retail outlet. Wudn't trust one as far as i can throw it with my penis. I really do rate the Philips 30gb alternative and the new Sony's are ok if u can live with the connect software. I've had good experiences with the Creative's myself but they're ugly as sin.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 05:17 PM

over christmas coz we ran out of stock of the ipods we actually put up a sign saying "dont be a sheep, buy something other than an ipod" and had a great anti ipod marketing campaign instore.

bonus to getting one is your friends will want one and ur penis will feel bigger.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 05:46 PM

Ive got a 60GB one, it works great, but the finish scratches REALLY easily. I only put it in the top pocket of my shirt and it came out scratched all over. I really reccomend a case if you get one. (It even scratches in the horrible case they give with it...).

iTunes is surprisingly ok. You can quite easily stop it from taking over you pc, and its quite usefull how it automatically syncs your music collection.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGuitar
iTunes is surprisingly ok. You can quite easily stop it from taking over you pc, and its quite usefull how it automatically syncs your music collection.
How do you stop it from intruding on your PC then ?

Ben
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 07:33 PM

I have the 30 gig. Videos are ok. I've converted a coouple of Mel Bay videos and they work fine.

But yeah, battery life is pretty short, esp with videos. Audiobooks don't shut off properly sometimes and keeps playing when you switch to video.

overall, though, it's a nice toy...

wemedge
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy
How do you stop it from intruding on your PC then ?

Ben
Theres a few tick boxes in the "preferences" screen. Not to load with windows, not to load up as soon as it finds an ipod, and file type preferences.

I accidentally installed itunes about 4 years ago when i downloaded quicktime, and it was absolutely horrible back then. They seemed to have improoved it a bit since though.

It does still run some background processes though, theyre only small, but if you really dont want them then its easy enough to close them down.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

well, honestly up to this time I was definetly an anti-ipod person. Just wouldn't buy it because so many people have it. But this time it has to be an ipod, I've used sony products since i was a little kid, my father had gotten me a walkman that had "my first walkman" writing on it.
Then I moved on to md's and had one of the best md's of the first generation. Then they created the net md and I got the best one available at the time again, but this time I was a little let down. there was the horrible sonicstage program and all. I had a lot of problems with that program and decided to buy an iPod. They are just great execpt from the battery life. and if I watch a video on an iPod, it will be with a car adapter...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wis Redz of Silvanost
well, honestly up to this time I was definetly an anti-ipod person. Just wouldn't buy it because so many people have it. But this time it has to be an ipod, I've used sony products since i was a little kid, my father had gotten me a walkman that had "my first walkman" writing on it.
Then I moved on to md's and had one of the best md's of the first generation. Then they created the net md and I got the best one available at the time again, but this time I was a little let down. there was the horrible sonicstage program and all. I had a lot of problems with that program and decided to buy an iPod. They are just great execpt from the battery life. and if I watch a video on an iPod, it will be with a car adapter...
Same here.

I had no intentions whatsoever to get an iPod, i was always planing to buy one of the Creative Zens. Problem is, the Zen is butt ugly, and doesent offer a 60GB version. The video bit was irrelevant to me, but the iPod is the only real hugh quality 60GB player on the market (the toshiba player has serious sound quality issues).

I dont feel any kind of loyalty to the company, ill just buy whatever is best at the time, and right now the iPod is easily the best one availible.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 10:45 PM

Not buying the ipod because 'others have it' is just...not good enough of a reason for me. If you don't like the ipod because of it's functionality or its looks then that's fine. Otherwise you're jumping on the bandwagon as well, just the other one.

With that said I own a 30GB ipod video. I've watched a full length movie on the video and it certainly does drain battery but do you expect it to not? I own a PSP and the battery lasts just about as long as it would on the iPOD. I've watched a whole movie and still had enough battery to listen to music for a while. The screen is as big as I see the ipod ever getting. However, the purpose of the video function was really to put music videos on it. I have to say it does the job quite well.

As much as some people HATE the ipod. The current best MP3 player for the size, price and functionality? The iPod.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 02:11 AM

Small screen, easy to get scratched.
And hard to put videos on it.
Video: the sounds and the video are not sync together.
That's it hehe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

songs on ipod cutting out?
how many songs on 16gb ipod

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode