Any idea why my computer's slow? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Any idea why my computer's slow?

Just put in a new GPU, a BFG Gefore 7900 GS OC. Using a 450W PSU with 2GB of RAM, equipped with an AMD Athlon 64+ 3800 processor. I did a Spy-Bot scan and an Ad-aware scan as well as a disk defrag, but my computer still seems to be very laggy.

However, it only freezes whenever I try to access a CD or DVD in My Computer. Could anybody identify the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 07:13 PM

Re: Any idea why my computer's slow?

Have a look at the processes and which ones are using the CPU the most, you should have below about 50, over that and it will start to get clogged. After I make hardware changes I make a fresh windows install and I usually do it every few months anyway.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 07:24 PM

You probably need to make sure your RAM is running at the correct speed, whether it be DDR400 or whatever. What kind of RAM is it?

Also, if you have Cool N' Quiet enabled, your CPU will be scaled back to prevent excess heat and power usage whenever no one is using it. However, sometimes it does this WHILE you are actually on the computer., thus casuing an extreme performance drop.

So is it computing in general that seems laggy, or just gaming/video and photo editing?
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
You probably need to make sure your RAM is running at the correct speed, whether it be DDR400 or whatever. What kind of RAM is it?

Also, if you have Cool N' Quiet enabled, your CPU will be scaled back to prevent excess heat and power usage whenever no one is using it. However, sometimes it does this WHILE you are actually on the computer., thus casuing an extreme performance drop.

So is it computing in general that seems laggy, or just gaming/video and photo editing?
Upon Windows start-up, I have 39 processes running. However, I'm kind of skeptical if some of them are even useful and legit programs.

I use a Thermaltake Big Water SE so Cool N' Quiet is not enabled.

As regards to memory, here's what CPU-Z IDed:

What would be good timing pattern for my memory if I am primarily using it for games and digital media editing?
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 08:30 PM

Yeah 39's nothing. PC3200 should run at 400 mhz shouldn't it?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crevis View Post
Yeah 39's nothing. PC3200 should run at 400 mhz shouldn't it?
Technically, yes, but since it is DDR (double data rate), 2x200MHz yields the advertised 400MHz.

As far as timings go, it depends on the RAM you are using. Cheaper RAM usually requires higher timings, while more expensive, performance RAM offers lower timings.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 10:01 PM

make sure in your bios that the new cpu's clock or multiplier didn't get bumped back down to something lower then it should. This happens sometimes and makes a huge difference.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfiend14 View Post
make sure in your bios that the new cpu's clock or multiplier didn't get bumped back down to something lower then it should. This happens sometimes and makes a huge difference.
Well I haven't messed around with the BIOS yet. The memory clocks are the factory presets. I'm just not sure what would be a good clock to run at.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 07:56 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMG View Post
Just put in a new GPU, a BFG Gefore 7900 GS OC. Using a 450W PSU with 2GB of RAM, equipped with an AMD Athlon 64+ 3800 processor. I did a Spy-Bot scan and an Ad-aware scan as well as a disk defrag, but my computer still seems to be very laggy.

However, it only freezes whenever I try to access a CD or DVD in My Computer. Could anybody identify the problem?

Yea its sucks because its NOT A MAC ..... Get a g5 and youll never ever go back to a stupid PC again. Bill Gates is the anti christ and his winblows sucks!!!!!!

Last edited by Ibanut; 03-18-2007 at 07:57 PM. Reason: spelled a word wrong
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 08:09 PM

Computers are a pain in the ass.

I installed a new hard drive on one of my old computers, and everytime I went to windows explorer, it started to lag.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanut View Post
Yea its sucks because its NOT A MAC ..... Get a g5 and youll never ever go back to a stupid PC again. Bill Gates is the anti christ and his winblows sucks!!!!!!
I'm a mac user as well but what the heck this post was about? He uses whatever feels the easiest for him. No need to be a fanatic.

Having told this, I have to admit that I was really amused to read that crevis installs windows again on each hardwar update and worse yet every few months. Anyway just kidding :P

My sister's computer did the same thing when accessing CDs and my own mac while running Windows. I have found no solutions on the Mac because I only use Windows for CAD KEY homeworks, but my sister's computer just turned back to normal after a format and a reinstall.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 08:41 PM

what is ur mobo and run memtest
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanut View Post
its all a matter of opinion and that comment didn't help him with his problem...
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 09:01 PM

reformat
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 11:32 PM

I have two local drives, two on the other computer and a portable 60 GB, every few months (just until it's getting slow) I'll format the local I'm not using and do a fresh windows install on it, copy everything I want off the other one and format it as well.

But note that this is a routine that alot people have done for years but I've noticed in the last year I've only done this once, I did it 4 months ago when I got my new GPU and RAM and I only just put AVG on now and I had 0 Viruses (I had to leave it scanning over night and untill about 10 in the morning before it finally finished the 80 + gb of stuff lol). Since it's been on it's allerted me to virus attempts but none ever get through the firewall.

It also has to get pretty bad before I reformat now because I have to install photoshop, illustrator and Visual Studio.net, which takes soo long.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode