Any "Idiot Soundguy" stories? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Any "Idiot Soundguy" stories?

I know there are some gigging bands members on here and even some touring ones so I think a thread like this would be filled with a bunch of WTF moments so I'll get the ball rolling here.

My roomie's band played a show recently with two "professional" sound guys.

Dumbass thing #1: One of the guys wanted to mic a god damned tweeter for the main sound (guitarist uses a 4X10 Eden cab). He kept moving it back after it was moved to the speakers until he confronted the guy on it and he eventually put it back to the speaker.

Dumbass thing #2: One guy told the bassist that he should be using a 1X15 or 1X18 cab because 10" speakers are crap for bass. That's why the most popular bass cabs are 4X10 and 8X10 . Idiot. Also a tag onto this. Said Traynor bass amps were crap and to get a Peavey.

Dumbass thing #3: NOT ENOUGH POWER! These guys seriously screwed up with the power. They had too much running off of too few plugs so the bassists head was underpowered so he got totally lost in the mix and just had to "go through the motions" to put on a show because he couldn't even hear himself. The drummer's monitor kept going wonky as well. I guess there are good shows and there are bad shows. Just surprised the good show was a bar show with a normal bar guy doing the sound and the not so good show was in a good sized hall with very nice PA system and an actual stage (crappy plywood stage that was poorly supported so stuff kept wobbling and falling over).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:42 PM

Re: Any "Idiot Soundguy" stories?

never had a 1on1 with any sound person. not so many good moments w/equip. and set-up crew. when people lose parts of your rig more than once you tend to want to rip their face off.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 01:07 AM

Just general stuff... audience members becoming verbally abusive toward the sound guy in between songs for having the guitar at about 1/3 the volume of the bass and drums... Any time a soundie owns up to being primarily a drummer I run in fear now. Some of the best mixers I've worked with don't even play an instrument, which I guess prevents bias towards a particular instrument when they mix. I don't give a crap if I'm not the focal point of the mix but when audience members come to me afterwards and say they couldn't hear me at all, I wonder why the hell I bother.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

I really want to get into the whole soundguy thing because I play everything but I never play in a band. There is nothing wrong with doing a 5 minute sound check so long as you do it right and then you can just tweak it on the fly so then it just sounds right. If you find out that no one can hear you, crank your amp up. I just can't wait till these guys get to the level where they can tell the sound guy to **** off and let me handle it.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.WizardNeck View Post
If you find out that no one can hear you, crank your amp up.
That's not always an option, depending on the room and the stage, and the stage volume balance.

One of the best experiences I had was supporting an Aussie band called the Screaming Jets. We were the first of 4 supports before the Jets - we were on at 8, they were on at midnight - but the crew treated us like royalty and the sound was killer, on stage and in the crowd.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 12:44 PM

One of my worst experiences was when my band shared the stage with the headliner and while we had a decent soundcheck, they turned our monitors off when we were on....sucked badly.

I was a soundman for two groups, one country and the other salsa...(interesting contrast) but anyway, the country bad (Autumn Rain) was really good and they actually made it to TNN for a live performane but their keyboardist had such an ego...no "keys" volume was loud enough for him.

The salsa band was a problem, everyone in the audience was a sound engineer. I tried mixing it in such a manner that was realistic to the tunes they played (mostly covers) but because someone knew someone in the band (or orchestra as they called it) they wanted more bongos or timbales than say the vocals....idiots. I had quit after a couple of months.

I'd like ot land another one of those gigs though....chicks dig sound engineers...
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 12:37 AM

Reviews: 1

Mostly the issues I've had are board-ops not knowing how to cue up a CD or DAT properly, you throw a pre-recorded intro at 'em and they freak out, start it 20 seconds into the thing, or whatever. Annoying, to say the least, especially after they start it late, then rewind it or re-cue it then start over a couple times. How about listening to it in the phones 1st, THEN play it on the mains?!

The biggest issue I've had was with our Roadie / "Manager" or so he told people. He helped get our gear form place to place, until one night he'd been drinking and crashed the van. He claimed there was a deer, then it moprhed as the story was told over and over into an 'apparition'... Dip****...
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 12:53 AM

I've had them say things like "Why did you even bring that amp. We got direct boxes." I've also had them say "Can you change that guitar sound it's distorted and it doesn't sound good." I was in a metal band. And "Can your head go direct out? That would be better than using your speakers. We got horns and such to make the good guitar sounds in the PA."

I usually just hit them back by saying "I know you couldn't really play an instrument so you got into this line of work, but trust me I know what I'm doing."

That being said I played a show last Sunday at a small club and the Japanese sound guy was a true pro. He did everything well, the levels were great and he even spoke in English to me when I didn't understand what he meant. And when he realized I was the lead guitar he even dialed in a slight volume boost for when I soloed. My guitar sounded fatter and bette than it ever did inthe states with the soundemen I worked with.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 02:31 PM

I've only dealt with a few sound guys. Most of them didn't know what they were doing. I've seen one pro at work and it was refreshing. The problem is that the guys who don't know what they are doing THINK they know everything.
There is no point in argueing with them though. They have the control. They can make you sound like total crap so why get on thier bad side. I do my part and let them do the sound. No matter how bad they are at it.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 06:25 PM

There is nothing worse than paying to see someone play live and then seeing a soundguy mess with everything the entire show.

I have walked up to sound guys and asked for my money back because they have ruined shows.

Once played in a battle of the bands and the winners got to open for Kenny Wayne Shepperd. The sound for each band was done by the same soundguy and we all sounded like crap.

Then miraculously, the last band comes on and WHAMO, they sound great.
Well, they end up winning. So after the show we start asking about the sound guy and it turns out he was their sound guy, but he was contracted to do the sound by the promoters at the BOTB, because he gave them a good rate for using his sound gear.

I'm still pissed.

But we probably did suck. With his help, we just sucked more than we normally would have.

Mr. Wizardneck, why did you have to bring this up. LOL

Last edited by michblanch; 05-21-2008 at 06:45 PM.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 07:37 PM

Reviews: 25

A true muso or sound guy or anyone trying to be better at their craft each day, is someone who is willing to listen to advice and suggestions in order to better themselves. Anyone who thinks they know it all already is kidding themselves. A true artist is gracious in accepting ideas, and takes everything on board for a final choice about what they will do about their craft... when the time arrives
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
A true muso or sound guy or anyone trying to be better at their craft each day, is someone who is willing to listen to advice and suggestions in order to better themselves. Anyone who thinks they know it all already is kidding themselves. A true artist is gracious in accepting ideas, and takes everything on board for a final choice about what they will do about their craft... when the time arrives
Not to mention he wont shove a god damn DI box down your throat. Jeez. If I were to play live myself, even I would want my modeler (yes I'm keen on them) put through an amp and mic'd. There's NOTHING like actually getting your sound from guitar speakers. What some sound guys don't realize is that bass/guitar speakers aren't flat response (even bass are coloured to some degree to sound punchy) so you can't just do a DI straight from the line out of an amp. The speakers are there to add that extra bit of tone. I use my modeler with cab models on and through my cab, it sounds amazing compared to putting it straight out to my stereo (even though the speakers are huge). Some guys just don't realize this. Some guy actually put a 57 between two speakers and said "well now you're getting sound from two" and that's when I just gave up.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 02:07 PM

How about playing on a stage with no soundcheck. Yup, that's right. Happened to my band a couple of times. Needless to say we heard complaints after the show along the lines of "so and so was too loud" or "couldn't hear so and so."

IIRC, when we played at the Viper Room in Hollywood, I asked when we would commence the sound check. The brilliant "engineers" decided to do it as we played. I didn't know how to set me levels, I just hoped for the best.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Banned

Sound guy rule
#1. If you can hear the guitar, it's too loud.
#2. If you can hear everything, something is wrong.
#3. Never boost guitar solos, ever.
#4. EQ the vocals so that they are brittle, piercing and midrangey.
#5. Never take into consideration mic placement on a guitar cab. And don't use a stand, just hang a mic anywhere in front of the cab by the mic cord.
#6. The band does not need a good monitor mix, and if they signal the sound guy for an adjustment. Ignore it.
#7. Never ever listen to what the band says. The sound guy is getting paid to mix, not the band!
#8. Don't listen to the kind of music you are mixing, so you wont have any idea what it's supposed to sound like.
#9. Make sure some piece of gear fails at every show.
**And of course**
#10. Complain that everyone is too loud.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac View Post
How about playing on a stage with no soundcheck. Yup, that's right. Happened to my band a couple of times. Needless to say we heard complaints after the show along the lines of "so and so was too loud" or "couldn't hear so and so."

IIRC, when we played at the Viper Room in Hollywood, I asked when we would commence the sound check. The brilliant "engineers" decided to do it as we played. I didn't know how to set me levels, I just hoped for the best.
A good sound guy can can do it. By the end of the first song you should be dialed. But, good sound guys are hard to come by.

Tags
bass amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

yngwie what an idiot

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode