Any pilots around here? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

Any pilots around here?

Have never asked this before even though I've been around here for 18 months... are there any pilots that hang around here?

I'm training to be a pilot myself and I'd love to meet any other folks who share my love for flying. And Ibanez guitars, of course.

Cheers

Shredder87
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 06:48 AM

Re: Any pilots around here?

Still working on my PPL, single-engine, finished ground school, soloed, but haven't taken the final test yet.

Good stuff. Are you planning to go commercial?

cheers,
wemedge
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Yes! Hopefully, if I have the cash to do it (no more new Ibanez RGs for me ). Depends if there is a job to be had too... UK is very competitive to the point people would probably kill to get an airline job.

Am also on my PPL, still doing groundschool and awaiting first solo. What you learning on? (I'm on a Piper Tomahawk).

'87
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 12:51 PM

So.....if i win the lottery and buy my own plane, i know where to come to hire a pilot

This would be a good thread for pics You guys could put a pic up and say "i flew this baby today"

Is it scary when you first do it???? (flying, i mean )
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 01:08 PM

I'm thinking of starting it soon. There is a flying club at work, so get a really good rate to join. Never know, one day I'll solo over to France for the day or something.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 01:20 PM

Reviews: 1

A buddy of mine is a pilot and he's recently become an instructor.
I was his guinea pig for a few flights, to be honest, the 1st time I took the controls, flying in 3D freaked me out. I didn't panic, but just feeling the plane react in all three dimensions made me think, "I shouldn't be doing this"
a good time though, I'd do it again, but I just don't have the time or money to do it. Good luck in your tests!

Anyone Skydive?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder87 View Post
Yes! Hopefully, if I have the cash to do it (no more new Ibanez RGs for me ). Depends if there is a job to be had too... UK is very competitive to the point people would probably kill to get an airline job.

Am also on my PPL, still doing groundschool and awaiting first solo. What you learning on? (I'm on a Piper Tomahawk).

'87
Cessna 150...
wemedge
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Ant,

I'd definately recommend going for it, but be warned, it will drain not only your guitar fund but your beer fund as well. And be prepared to spend a lot of time on it too... but if you're hankering after it, then do it.

Skydiving... nah, no thanks...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 12:41 PM

I'm a captain on the Boeing 737. Luckily I'm done paying for flight training, now the money goes into buying guitar gear.

The job market for pilots is actually looking pretty good, in europe plenty of low cost airlines are hiring as well as most "flag" carriers. In asia they are crying out for pilots. In the states it's a bit slower, but add up retirements and future growth and I think there will be a major shortage of pilots over there too soon.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:17 PM

Cessna 152. I've flown various others more-or-less randomly when Cessna's weren't available. Piper Cherokee 140.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:27 PM

I've flown a Piper before and flown many simulations, I've always wanted to try stunt planes but my mom says no matter how old she and I both get she wont let me fly planes hahhaha
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 09:46 PM

Reviews: 1

Interesting thread....

My dad was a fighter pilot in the Korean Conflict 51-53. He flew F-86 Sabers against first-generation Migs provided by the Soviets.

I was a USAF Brat who moved all around the US for the first half of my life.Then he flew for a major carrier until retirement.

The best story I have is my Senior Prom- Family members flew for free on the airline, so I came up with this idea - said my date was my sister - - got us a pair of stand-by tickets...we went to Mexico City for lunch and made it back for the prom. I had alot of b*lls back then and people still talk about how we pulled that one off. True story!

-jemaholic
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 04:31 AM

I'd love to learn but it will have to wait until after uni.

Tags
ibanez guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode