anybody any good at differentiating? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

anybody any good at differentiating?

i want to differentiate X=[2(v^2)/g]sin(a)cos(a) with respect to a so i can prove that 45 degrees is the angle of maximum trajectory but a whole summer off has given me some severe brainrot! its quite embarassing!! anybody a genius at integrals? cmon andre your studying physics!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 05:25 PM

Re: anybody any good at differentiating?

www.casio.com LOL sounds scientific..

My brain is beyond rotted for that stuff.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 07:32 PM

i think my brain just sh** it's pants.

yup, there's ooze coming out of my ears, SEE WHAT YOU DID TO ME?!?!?

sorry i'm no help, but are you in college?
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 07:39 PM

Location: In a box in Vegas... I'm the man IN the box, so call me Jack

Oh, dude you are a TOTAL newb if you can't figure that one out! Just take the square root 45 and multiply by the cosine of the perpendicular angle of trajectory, add a cross product of the measures of an isoceles triangle's base and leg angles, and divide by 3.0000005456453257897632874320403043. Duh.

jk bro sorry I couldn't help
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 07:50 PM

Remember the product rule?

This is a pretty easy fuction to take the derivative of, considering you just have a constant multiplied by the product of two trigonometric functions.

Generic product rule for differentiation is:

f(x) = sin(x)*cos(x)

therefore

f'(x) = d/dx [(sin(x)] * cos(x) + sin(x) * d/dx [cos(x)]

we know that

d/dx [sin(x)] = cos(x)

and d/dx [cos(x)] = -sin(x)

so you essentially have (let c = 2*v^2/g)

f(a) = c*sin(a)*cos(a)

and

f'(a) = c*[cos^2(a) - sin^2(a)]

or f'(a) = 2*v^2/g[cos^2(a)-sin^2(a)]

Now remember your identities here?

cos^2(x) - sin^2(x) = cos(2x)

so know you have a simplified version of the derivative in the form of

f'(a) = 2*v^2/g*cos(2a)

Hope that helps a little! That's about all I can remember right now, but I'm sure there is some significance with the 2cos(2a) part. It's a double angle something or another... I'm gonna go look it up... I'll get back to you when I think about this problem a little more.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timi_h View Post
i want to differentiate X=[2(v^2)/g]sin(a)cos(a) with respect to a so i can prove that 45 degrees is the angle of maximum trajectory but a whole summer off has given me some severe brainrot! its quite embarassing!! anybody a genius at integrals? cmon andre your studying physics!!
Hmmm, I just read my post over again, and I skipped lots of steps, so if you got lost, just ask. Plus, this is not integration.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 07:56 PM
smc

Good work man! I was scratching my head because i differentiated cosx to be sinx and not -sinx...doh, rusty myself.

Just to finish it, if you set the last equation equal to 0 to find the max/min point, 45 is the value of a that will equal 0 (cos90=0).
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc View Post
Just to finish it, if you set the last equation equal to 0 to find the max/min point, 45 is the value of a that will equal 0 (cos90=0).
Yup! There you go... I forgot all about the 45 degree angle by the time I was working myself through that one. I'm so used to just dealing with theoretical things, I'm sitting here scratching MY head about the double angle thing still.

Just wait until you get to complex analysis. Trig functions go bye-bye (well, kinda).

Just remember, cos(x) + i*sin(x) = e^ix, and e^i*pi = 1.

It all gets so wonderful. Especially when you get to convolution integrals and residue integration.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 11:53 PM

You better keep it down, or the guys in the nearby "Shamrock v Ortiz 3" thread will bust in and steal your lunch money and break your pocket protectors.

sorry
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 02:44 AM

So easy, see?

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

darn product rule! been over a year since i had to use that hence the forgetting! turns out the bit i had remembered was the top half of the quotient rule so i had a - sign in there which screwed it all up big time!
cheers for the help guys! lets hope this assignment freshens my brain up a bit!!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneLord View Post
You better keep it down, or the guys in the nearby "Shamrock v Ortiz 3" thread will bust in and steal your lunch money and break your pocket protectors.

sorry
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
So easy, see?

The scary part is, I understand some of this stuff!

Some of that looks like quantum, some looks like E&M.

There doesn't seem to appear to be any interrelationship between these equations, they are all random, because you've got a matrix element representation of one function at the top, but a ket vector notation of a time-dependant waveform in the middle, and what looks like a quantum potential at the bottom, hence the i h-bar, where I'm assuming h-bar in this case is Planck's constant.

Where did you get these?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

h bar is the modified planck constant isnt it? i seem to recall from somehere (god knows where cos ive never been taught it) that its plancks constant over 2 pi
and theres definitely some electromagnetism in the one with the e^2 on top cos it has 1/4pi epsilon zero aswell as the charge of an electron/proton in the equation

Last edited by timi_h; 10-13-2006 at 11:39 AM. Reason: noticed more stuff to make myself more certain im not stupid!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timi_h View Post
h bar is the modified planck constant isnt it? i seem to recall from somehere (god knows where cos ive never been taught it) that its plancks constant over 2 pi
and theres definitely some electromagnetism in the one with the e^2 on top cos it has 1/4pi epsilon zero aswell as the charge of an electron/proton in the equation
Yeah, pretty much. It's all the same (kinda). I just always knew either one of them as Planck's constant. They are the same thing, but just different units.

It's like talking about frequency as omega, or f. f is just omega/2*pi.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode