Anybody in here into Cabinet Building? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Anybody in here into Cabinet Building?

I have a question for anyone into cabinetry. In my home, we have all oak cabinets. Or at least I thought we did. I've been working on an addition to our house where I'm building several new cabinets. Building the cabinets themselves is not a problem, as I'm reasonably competent with a table saw().

The problem I'm having is with wood selection. I have found that ALL of the 3/4" and 1/4" oak veneer plywood I can find is apparently made from rather small diameter trees, as the grain pattern repeat in the oak surfaces is anywhere between 4" and 6". This can be a huge pain in the butt when trying to match grain from one panel to the next on larger surfaces. Sure you can find consecutively cut panels, but this is not always convenient or practical, especially if you've run out of a particular pattern and need more.

On the other cabinets in our house, most of the larger panels of the cabinets or paneling show a larger grain with much wider repeats; in most cases you don't notice it. There are panels that resemble the ones that I'm buying now, but most of the big ones appear to be a different wood. Could it be that the original cabinet builder used something like birch or pine for the large panels and then trimmed them with oaK? We did all the stain and finishing on the original cabinets, and stained and finished all the pieces simultaneously, and there is no color difference from one piece to the next. It ACTS like the same wood, but it doesn't LOOK like the same wood. It honestly looks more like a birch or pine grain. Would mixing those woods in a cabinet be a common practice?

On a side note, let me comment that the lumber currently available at stores like Lowe's and Home Depot is utter and total crap. You might go through twenty pieces of plywood before finding one that didn't have voids, knots, or hideous dark streaks - and this is in the FINISH GRADE plywood. Almost all of the boards, whether they be hardwood oak or 2x4 studs, look like pretzels. How they stay in business selling this stuff is beyond me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 02:01 PM

Re: Anybody in here into Cabinet Building?

man, if you were in the UK I could help you but from here... all I can do is feel your pain !

yes, the veneered MDF and finsh grade ply is crap - if I do anything like that myself I normally either:

1. make it from single piece solid (I can get oak up to 650mm wide x 50mm thick x 3.7 metres long) - but singlue piece has its own issues....

2. make it using solid oak 6" boards or whatever suits the project, biscuit jointed together

3. I run the oak boards through the bandsaw and laminate them bookmatched onto 18mm waterproof MDF

I suggest taht you find a better supplier - get some wookworking monthly's - I ususally buy furniture and cabinet making magazine which is awesome and really geeared up for the pro/semi pro shop and has little or no amatuer content - it also has a great list of suppliers in the back

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode