Anybody into inverts?? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 21
Anybody into inverts??

Heya guys and gals!!!!

Just wondering if anyone has any invert pets? Ive recently got into tarantulas!!! Granted my guitar playing has suffered a bit for it, but they are amazing creatures!!! So far there are 7 in my collection....and needless to say, there are more on the way!!!
The list so far-
1 x Selenotypus sp4 - 90mm
1 x Phlogius Strennus - 3rd instar
1 x Selenotholus Gold - 90mm
1 x Phlogius Psuedocrassipes 50mm
1 x Kotzmans Birdeater - 30mm
1 x Selenotypus Plumipes Southern Form - 30mm
1 x Phlogius Stents - 40mm
Enjoy the pics and if anyone else is into them, show us yours!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 02:16 AM

Reviews: 11
Re: Anybody into inverts??

im sure you know my opinion on this thread. especially the small ones. remember this thread?

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f13/an...re-106526.html
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 02:18 AM

oh, and way to live up to your word! used your goldfish's tank AND posted pics. that is that tank right?
post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

EEEEUUUUCH!!!!

I hate creepy crawlies!!!! I'm not at the stage of stamping on them, but cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want more of them around than necessary.

Unless those spiders are going to earn their keep and eat all the flies in my home, they're living OUTSIDE!!!
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Sorry to freak you out IBZRG1527prestige!! No my goldfish havent passed onto the next life....bloody things are immortal i tell ya!! Oh and btw...when the goldfish have their day, im hoping to get a lionfish...amazing poisonous wonder of a fish...super pretty too
The tarantulas have their own tank each...they are cannibals and will fight to the death for territory!! And feeding time is awesome....they wont chase their prey, they will wait for the prey to come to them and them they pounce....its pretty incredible to watch!!
Jono, come on man, cats and dogs hardly earn their keep and yet we still have them...i would love it if my cat would clean its own kitty litter tray and would be even better to see a dog with a small broom and shovel scooping up all its 'bombs' from the backyard...but alas they do not!!! And another amazing thing about tarantulas, is they live for 20-30years....wont get a broken heart anytime soon!!!
Ive got a decent size tarantula coming in the next month or so......150mm legspan......prob feed it pinky mice!!!
Enjoy gentlemen!!
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV-7-BK View Post
So far there are 7 in my collection....and needless to say, there are more on the way!!!
I think they're cool, but even so I could think of about 100 things I'd rather say the above about!
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 10:20 AM

That's cool man, looks great! I don't mind spiders, as long as I don't get bit. I wouldn't have one as a pet since I don't know much about them and I have always been a dog person...hehe. I was in the studio last night rewiring and I saw a little guy on the floor walking along where the wall meets the floor, where I was. It didn't phase me at all and of course I left him there to live. Looked kinda like yours but smaller, one of those "tiger" spiders. Those guys are cool. I do not like the daddy long legs spiders
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 09:14 PM

Funny, but I'm starting to come around on this one. I'm seriously thinking about getting a B. smithi and possibly an A. versicolor as well. These would be slings though.

I'm not altogether familiar with your breeds, are they OW/NW? Arboreal, terrestrial?
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Hey Jim!!

Just a word of warning..they are addictive!! My little collection has grown to 19 tarantulas!!!

B. smithi and A. versicolor are absolutely stunning species...and so is a P. metallica!!! Slings are great..you get to watch them grow...and if fed well, they grow almost before your eyes!!! They are a great pet, very minimal maintenance and are amazing to watch!!

All the species i have are Australian ones....in oz we cant have exotic species....they're illegal and will be confiscated..along with a hefty fine...possibly jail time!!! There are so many i want, but there is just no chance!! They are generally of the arboreal variety!!

Heres a few of them...enjoy the pics mate
Selenotypus Sp4.....shes close to 120mm

Selenotypus Sp4 .... shes a looker isnt she

Selonotypus Gemfield ...around the 90mm mark!
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Phlogius Stirlingi ...chunky

Phlogius Stirlingi....shes close to 110mm

Selenotholus Gold....feisty one this one
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Phlogius Rubiseta female...unsociable bitch lol

Phlogius Rubiseta male...hes always out strutting his stuff

Phlogius Psuedocrassipes...man can this guy eat!!!!! Amazing!!!
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Phlogius Goliath....i have a male and female Goliath.....each bout 40mm.....at adult size, their legs will hang very near if not over the edge of a full size dinner plate!!!!

Phlogius PQ113....the only tarantula in my collection that warrants a lock on the tank....bloody nut bag....will get in its strike pose when i walk in the room....really psycho!!!!

Hope you liked the pics!!
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 12:29 PM

This has motivated me to do a sort of spider swirl on a uv of mine for some reason, multiple hues of brown and a more stringy consistant swirl.....inspiration!!!!!
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 01:09 PM

i know its each to their own, and if you guys like them, then fair play. but in with Jono on this one - why on earth would you want big ugly hairy venomous arachnids as pets?? if a hamster or something bites you, the worst your gonna get is the possibility of it drawing blood, not the danger of needing to be rushed to hospital!

and the same sort of feeling goes for snakes too - they're either gonna bite u and inject venom, or simply squeeze you to death! not exactly an ideal trait for a pet!

but like i say, if you guys like them, then fair play to you! and you all seem to have pretty impressive collections!

rich
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Please dont call my pets ugly (they are part of my family) ....there is beauty in most things in nature. Venomous yes...so are bees when you think about it..so are bee keepers crazy? No they are not.

And there has never been a recorded fatality with tarantulas....their venom is on par with bee stings....what hurts is the depth in which their fangs penetrate......that said, i dont handle my spiders. They are extremely fragile and if they fall from a height close to triple their body height....its fatal for them. Generally, they hide away....they are far more scared of you than you are of it!!

Black widows/aussie funnel webs/brown recluse are the bad boys of the species......not interested in having those species...but love them and respect them all the same!!

I definitely respect your feelings towards them though....i know its not for everyone. Just hope you can appreciate them at a safe distance Honestly, im more scared of Pittbulls!!! Spiders bite once......pittbulls bite and dont let go!! That for me, isnt an ideal pet.

Cheers ricky

Tags
crickets , inverts , tarantulas , terrariums

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode