Anybody "Monkish"? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Anybody "Monkish"?

if you have seen the TV show Monk - that is what i'm referring to.
do you have any "Monkish" tendencies? even better, do you have any guitar related tenedencies like your strap being folded an exact certain way every single time you put it up or taking 10 or more minutes to wipe your guitar down after playing? do you go as far as wiping down your case regularly and throwing a fit if you get a nick or bump in it?
i know i have some of these tendencies - what about you guys/girls?

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 12:27 PM

Re: Anybody "Monkish"?

I know that if I put a ding in one of my guitars I get the ol' slow whinge going on.

Y'know, like when a kid falls over and they get that shocked look whilst they ponder what just happened and then they realise what ever happened really SUCKED so it starts the tears building up then it's like turning a volume knob up "wwwwwwaaaaaAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!"
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 12:43 PM

I have none, hell one of my guitars have slobber from the dogs, I wipe em down about once a month LOL.

I am no monk.. But now my tools is another thing..
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 12:43 PM

I always took more than 10 minutes to wipe my guitar down. That extra attention to detail whilst cleaning really pays off! People kept commenting on how 'new' it looked.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 12:59 PM

My carvin is 15 years old and looks as good as the day it came in.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 01:04 PM

If my strap doesnt lay perfectly upon my shoulder, crease free, I become a shaking mass of uncontrollable hate. But if my guitar got shot with a 357, ill just have a drink and buy a new one.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 01:40 PM

Not seen the tv show but get the idea! When i finish playing i just put my pick thru the strings so i dont lose 'em,and it ALWAYS has to be at the 3rd fret If you walk in my room at any time i gaurantee all 4 guitars will have a pick hooked in the 3rd fret WEIRD
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 01:52 PM
smc

Monk, is now a staple of afternoon student tv viewing in the UK...it is no diagnoisis murder though
Im pretty careful with my stuff, but i dont go mad if i get small chips or dings...hate the first one though!
What does bug me though is dust on the pickups and pickguard below the strings...every time I change strings, i get a great amount of satisfaction from wiping that dust off...weird!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc
What does bug me though is dust on the pickups and pickguard below the strings...every time I change strings, i get a great amount of satisfaction from wiping that dust off...weird!
100% agreed.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 02:04 PM

I must admit, I only ding my guitars once in a blue moon because I take real good care of them. I did have this weird thing though where I only used to buy player condition guitars because I was scared of dinging a mint one, like I was 100% going to ding it so I may as get one pre-dinged, lol. I didn't realise how careful I was until fairly recently though.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 07:34 PM

I can't stop playing guitar until I play what I'm working on right...
I can't stop gaming until I own that guy who's been owning me all day...
I can't stop doing homework until it's done and working at 200% of the requirements....
I can't sleep....
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 07:51 PM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc
Me too, but it bugs me enough to clean under the strings with a cue tip whenever dust starts to collect.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 03:26 PM

Plenty,

I fold my strap in a particular way.

I put on the strap a particular way.

I have to put on my pants a certain way (you all say one leg at a time, I say both legs at once and a jump, try it)

I wash my hands a certain way.

I have a certain ordering system for my CDs and for music files on my pc, it ticks me off no end when they're not in order.

But since I think a bit of wear on a guitar gives character, I don't go insane cleaning the gold hardware on my Jem, a little wear has come about so far, but I don't really mind.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 03:40 PM

I have a monkey on my back does that count?

Regards

Andrť

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249
I did have this weird thing though where I only used to buy player condition guitars because I was scared of dinging a mint one, like I was 100% going to ding it so I may as get one pre-dinged, lol. I didn't realise how careful I was until fairly recently though.
OMG ! I do that too ! Haha ....I've got a player condition charvel that'sa little bit dinged but I always feel proud that it wasn't me that did it... wierd?

Ben

Tags
guitar players , monkey grip , neck joint , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode