Anyone been or live in Russia - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Anyone been or live in Russia

I am going there this summer with my college for thier study abroad program and i was just wondering what to expect . we stay in Krasnodor for 2 weeks , then a week in Moscow and a week in St.petersburge .

i have been told that it is a lot of fun just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on must see sites or sounds .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 05:09 PM

Re: Anyone been or live in Russia

From the experience of a friend of mine - if a girl "going to college" decides that you are the man of her dreams and asks you to buy her a laptop she needs for school after you get home and that when she's done with school at the end of the year she'll be moving to live with you in America - tell her she's full of sh!t. It'll cost you a laptop and probably some penicillin depending on how far you get with her...

Other than that, he said it was really cool. He spent a month there similar to what you're going to do, excpet this was strictly vacation. I know he went to Moscow and St. Petersburg, not sure where else he went, though.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 05:18 PM

There's not much to see in Krasnodar, but it's not that far from the Black Sea which is nice in the summer.

In (and around) Moscow, go see the Kremlin (it's not just the Red Square), Tretyakovskaya Gallery, Pushkinskaya gallery, Serviev Posad, Yasnaya Polyana (where Tolstoy lived). Old monasteries around Moscow are beautiful. You can even take a flight in a fighter jet if you have the dough. There's also a museum of aviation in Monino that could be of interest if you're into it (look it up in Google).

A week is too short for St. Petersburg, though. There's A LOT to see there, particularly in the summer. Check out the Savior on the Blood cathedral, State Hermitage Museum (this one may take several days, because it's just huge), the Russian Museum, Issakievsky Sobor, just about anything in the center is awesome. Take a bus tour to get an overview. In the summer, you must check out the Petrodvorets.

That said, I do recommend looking at it all with someone who's a native Russian speaker.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpenguins View Post
From the experience of a friend of mine - if a girl "going to college" decides that you are the man of her dreams and asks you to buy her a laptop she needs for school after you get home and that when she's done with school at the end of the year she'll be moving to live with you in America - tell her she's full of sh!t. It'll cost you a laptop and probably some penicillin depending on how far you get with her...

Other than that, he said it was really cool. He spent a month there similar to what you're going to do, excpet this was strictly vacation. I know he went to Moscow and St. Petersburg, not sure where else he went, though.
WTF was this about?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 05:59 PM

I was born in St. Petersburg and moved to the US when I was 5. I went back last summer with my family to visit our relatives and stuff. It's a beautiful city, but do be careful when you're wandering around..nothing's ever happened to anyone I know living there but there's a lota hooligan kids and stuff walking around at night. Make sure you visit the Hermitage museum in St. Petersburg, its breathtaking. Also the Peterhoff Fountains, if you can get there its absolutely gorgeous. Here's a pic:

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microdmitry View Post
WTF was this about?
Well, it's a well known fact that its difficult to be able to move from Russia to the US, so it is not unheard of at all for hot girls to befriend/bed American tourists with the hope of marrying them and being able to move to the states.

Note: there are TONSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS of gorgeous girls in Russia. Our girls are some of the most beautiful in the world, but be forewarned that they will like any other girl rip your heart out lol. I'm really glad I found the perfect girl for me, although she's actually Italian
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 06:27 PM

This is not to say that this doesn't happen. My question was more about the laptop and penicillin. A fool and his money are soon parted, so assuming the story is even true this is exactly what happened.

And don't be under an impression that female attention is guaranteed just because you're a foreigner. If anything, your chances to get laid are pretty slim.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
This is not to say that this doesn't happen. My question was more about the laptop and penicillin. A fool and his money are soon parted, so assuming the story is even true this is exactly what happened.

And don't be under an impression that female attention is guaranteed just because you're a foreigner. If anything, your chances to get laid are pretty slim.
Unless something DRASTICALLY changed in Russia in the last 6 months since I've been there, female attention is pretty much guaranteed cuz you're a foreigner. They love Americans and all things American. Me and my friends were pretty hot commodities there, considering we spoke fluent Russian AND were from America, lol. Still though, you gotta be careful, you can catch STDs in any country. We avoided any kinda female contact for that exact reason.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post
We avoided any kinda female contact for that exact reason.
That's mad!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
considering we spoke fluent Russian
That's why. Not because you were from the US. Russians consider it a minor miracle if a foreigner speaks Russian fluently. And I'd disagree with you that everyone likes Americans there. In fact, the general sentiment is quite anti-American, particularly away from the center (e.g. in Krasnodar). Though this of course will appear not to be the case if you only communicate with people who try to take advantage of you.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
do be careful when you're wandering around..nothing's ever happened to anyone I know living there but there's a lota hooligan kids and stuff walking around at night
True of Krasnodar in particular. Also I'd recommend to stay away from all the dance clubs and bars where locals hang out, unless you're going there with locals. You WILL get your ass kicked there otherwise. Moscow and SPb are much safer in this respect, particularly if you don't wander too much away from the center.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
That's why. Not because you were from the US. Russians consider it a minor miracle if a foreigner speaks Russian fluently. And I'd disagree with you that everyone likes Americans there. In fact, the general sentiment is quite anti-American, particularly away from the center (e.g. in Krasnodar). Though this of course will appear not to be the case if you only communicate with people who try to take advantage of you.
Ah well I was just speaking for St. Petersburg, Ive never been anywhere else in Russia. And I know they dont like Americans, I meant just that the girls go nuts for American guys cuz clothes that are like 10 bucks here are impossible to find there, so all that contributes to the attractiveness factor lol. And in terms of the hooligans it seems they mostly bother girls walking alone late at night, but still worth a mention.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 08:01 PM

You must have been to some other country. Are you sure it wasn't Saint Petersburg, Florida? Everything you can buy here you can buy there as well, and that's been the case since early 90's. The price is about the same, too. It's all made in China, anyway.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

well from what i understand we'll be pretty well taken care of . the university in Krasnodor is responsible for us so they provide a local translator , the dude in charge has done this 12 years and lived in Russia for 8 months . He said he has quite a few local contacts , and i am sure we'll get to explore a little but i'd expect to be on a shorter leash .

we will visit the Black sea and get to stay a resort there for a few days , then we'll head back and take a hiking trip in the Caucasus mountains.

he said the people are nice. i dont plan on getting any women .i am engaged .

the coolest part of this trip is that it will pretty much be free because of scholorships they have started this year , he said i'll probably get money back. I could get paid to go to russia .

anyways i am very excited about the chance to do this and i got other good news today , i got accepted into Magna Cum Laude or the national honor society.

this week has been good .
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 10:38 PM

If you go hiking in Caucasus mointains, ask them to do a "banya" there, near a mountain river. It's sort of like a sauna, you take a large boulder, heat it in a fire until it's red hot, get some tree branches and polyethylene film and make a tent out of this over the boulder. Then you splash water on it to get the steam. The key to really enjoying this is to build this thing right next to the river. You sit in a hot sauna, and then immediately jump into the cold river. It's awesome. There's also trout in the rivers there if you know how to catch it. Roast it on a skillet with onions or make "ukha" - fish soup.

Also, if you go hiking with locals, you can pick edible mushrooms there and roast them with potatoes. Add some garlic and dill weed for flavor. Locals know how to do it. Then get some tomatoes (preferably fermented in a barrel) and vodka to go with it. Also, try some "shashlyk" or "shulyum" (both also go well with Vodka). You also must try real, homemade Ukrainian borsh with smetana (like sour cream, but tastes a bit different). If you're there in the summer, I'd advise to get some good homegrown tomatoes on the local market (or pick them yourself, if you know someone who grows them). They have the tastiest tomatoes in the world there. Cut them, sprinkle some salt and pepper on top. Coincidentally, they also go well with Vodka.

As you may have guessed, in terms of quality of food Northern Caucasus has a massive leg up over Moscow and SPb.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode