Anyone here from the Netherlands? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Anyone here from the Netherlands?

I am studying abroad next year, and I am most likely going to be studying in the Netherlands. I've narrowed my choices down to two cities: Amsterdam and Nijmegen. Now, I've heard that Amsterdam can be a very fun and fascinating place, but the univesity (Radbound) in Nijmegen would probably be a better fit academically. Is Nijmegen a very happening place that would appeal to a college student looking to see the world? I am from a pretty small town to begin with (population around 20,000), and so I would definitely like to move somewhere bigger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 02:35 PM

Re: Anyone here from the Netherlands?

What are you going to study? You can come to the university of Leuven in Belgium. 'The' place to be!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 02:46 PM

I don't know about Nijmegen, but Amsterdam is absolutely awesome (ok, granted the only two cities I know in Holland are Amsterdam and The Hague...), definately a major change from living in Kansas. I think it would be a worthwile experience...
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 03:21 PM

Yeah both cities are great, but pretty different...

What are you going to study, since there are a lot of other cool universities here in the netherlands (which also happen to be in cool cities)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 08:40 AM

I was born in Nijmegen (at the university hospital "st.Radboud"), but I've never lived there, it's a fun place though. Nijmegen University is mostly known for it's Medical academy and socio/political studies, are you doing either one of those?

Amsterdam is on different scale...as in 1milion vs 200.000 people, Nijmegen just celebrated 2000 years for the city of Nijmegen (Noviomagum was founded by Roman Legion X "Gemini" with a Batavian city right next to it "Batavodurum") and is very un-dutch, due to the hills of the area. Amsterdam is the prototype dutch city, canals, etc. but Amsterdam is also more cosmopolitan and has two universities.

Difficult compare, even harder to say which is better...if the stuff outside of studying is of importance, Nijmegen is pretty selfcontained, Germany is very close, but no major cities on that side. Dutch rail is well organized (even if we complain) but the nighttrains can get you from Amsterdam to the entire "randstad" (amsterdam,leiden,the hague,delft,rotterdam,utrecht) even in the middle of the night. Due to the size of amsterdam, you may never get around to checking out other places .

The people are also very different from place to place. In US terms: Amsterdam think NYC (aka New Amsterdam lol) Nijmegen= way more laid back. you certainly won't be in Kansas anymore.

I agree with Joe^2, depending on your subject you may also want to check out Leiden (law, bio), Groningen (physics) Rotterdam (business, econometrics) Utrecht (history, languages) Maastricht (international law) or the technical university at Delft (aerospace, architecture) and the life sciences at Wageningen...no university in the Hague (@pawel) ...but there are more elsewhere
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 10:38 AM

Yeah well said eviltwin!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 08:07 AM

Slightly off topic, but isn't Eddie & Alex Van Halen from Nijmegen????
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 05:41 PM

Indeed they are...I was born there too...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

I am looking to study computer science. I can't go exactly anywhere, as my university uses the ISEP program for exchanges and can only use other ISEP schools. Anyway, here are my options:

http://www.isep.org/us_students/us_quick-ref.html

I am limited to the schools with English classes since English and Latin are the only languages I know.

The main reason for me wanting to study abroad is to become more cosmopolitan and experience the world. In my current town, we have a few pre schools, a few elementary schools, two middle schools, two high schools, and a university. I am going to university now with some of the same people I went to kindergarten with. 90% of my graduating class has gone on to this local university, and the other 10% have gone to other Kansas universities. Needless to say, my town is very self-contained. This works great for some people, but there is so much more out there that I haven't seen that I can't even imagine it.

How would these places compare academically to US schools? I spoke with one girl who is from Sweden studying abroad at my university, and she said things are much more laid back at her university in Sweden (I believe she was from Vaxjo University)

Tags
van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode