Anyone here in the US Navy? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Anyone here in the US Navy?

i am seriously thinking of joining the Navy as an officer. I should graduate(if i can get a C in Accounting II. accounting blows.) this next spring. I would really like to get my masters and doctorate as well as have some security and benifits. The more I see what is currently happening with the job market the less certain I am about being able to do what i need to get where i want.

I have talked to some other people who have been or are in the navy and they all said that they really enjoyed it and that there wasn't really anything bad about it. I love traveling and think that i could do well in the military however i was just looking for other people's opinions.

I have done some research on it and it sounds great but it is one of those things that you wont know about till your there.

Anyways any input would be cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 05:02 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Anyone here in the US Navy?

you don't join as an officer...

using your education... why not go into teaching or something more useful and less destructive (long term) to your family. it's sooo easy to get work and have work pay for your higher eductation and then try for professor at a university.

you would earn plenty of $$$ and vacation time to "travel"

i don't expect anyone serving in the military as a career to say "don't join" but you seem to be cherrypicking a few good points and ignoring many bad points. good luck... glen
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
you don't join as an officer...

using your education... why not go into teaching or something more useful and less destructive (long term) to your family. . . .

i don't expect anyone serving in the military as a career to say "don't join" but you seem to be cherrypicking a few good points and ignoring many bad points. . . .
You can join as an officer. If you have a degree, you can go into Officer Candidate School, and if you pass, you will become a commissioned officer. OCS is hmmm . . . I think 6 weeks long? Something like that. As I recall, there's no obligation to accept the commission, either. Even if you pass OCS you can walk away at the end. At least that is how it used to be a few years ago, check before you do anything and GET IT IN WRITING. Too many people are either too intimidated, too trusting, or too starstruck to get a recruiter to put things in writing. Recruiters, in my opinion, don't actually lie to you, but every single one doesn't tell the WHOLE truth.

More useful? Defending the nation is a pretty useful pursuit. Less destructive? I actually agree with Glen there; your family may not be "destroyed" by a Navy career and extended deployments, but it will definitely stress your family ties. If you have them. Young, single, well, that's easier.

As far as your plans to extend your education, depending on your qualifications, the Navy may pay for you to get a Master's or a professional degree BUT you will owe them more time as a result.

I'm a former Marine, and there are plenty of reasons not to join. Parts of military service really suck, and there's no way to make it better without destroying what it means to serve. What I mean is, if it weren't hard, stressful, dangerous, etc. wearing the fancy uniform and having chicks smile at you wouldn't mean a damn thing.

Semper fidelis

Peace

Mike
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 01:56 AM

You should try to figure out what career you want to go into before choosing a service. Depending on which career you choose, one respective service can or will be "better" than others.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Well I am young 20 and should have my degree before i turn 21. I have a fiancé but she is extremely supportive and ready to travel along.

There are several fields of interest for me. I have wanted to do some form of Engineering; however i am not sure where I would need to start. I can understand math and physics when I can actually use and apply them however I am not extremely good with math/physics.

Supply, Transportation, Logistics is more of what I would be suited for. I am getting my business management degree and that is pretty much what that is. Here is what they say about it.

Analyze the demand for supplies and forecast future needs
Manage the inspection, shipping, handling, and packaging of supplies and equipment
Direct personnel who receive inventory and issue supplies and equipment
Evaluate bids and proposals submitted by potential suppliers
Study ways to use space and distribute supplies efficiently
Determine the fastest, most economic way to transport cargo or personnel
Oversee the handling of special items, such as medicine and explosives

Then there are Science and public affairs. Those two rank a little lower but both still seem interesting.

The way I see it is :
1. It will give me excellent on job experience
2. They will wipe out my student loans
3. I will get all the benefits including insurance and housing assistance ect.
4. I don’t have to stay in forever i figure 5 or 6 years of service would amount to a few of my first crappy jobs as i try to gain experience through the consumer/real/business world.
5. I get to travel a little which is something i have wanted to do.
6. I was informed that the Navy was on a 2 year cycle during which the longest mandatory tour at sea was 6 months. Every week a different port.
7. If i do decide to further my education there is a program which i can enroll that will pay me like i am active duty yet I am still a civilian. I do have to serve longer but i still get all the pay and benefits.

Those may vary a little but that is what i gather from the people i have talked to.

I dont plan on blowing things up, and i am certainly not trying to brag or be an a-hole but I really do thing i could do well. The Officer test is a little more like the SAT but i got like an 87 on the ASVAB back in high school. That isn't great considering two of my friends got a 99 and 98.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 11:19 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

just like a college student of today, you need to THINK ABOUT A CAREER (job path) before you actually begin. You just don't go to school, float by for 4-5 years, get some me-too degree and hope to get a good job. That would be a longshot. This is a reality of 2008 & beyond guys.

ditto for the military.

no offense, but you're young, inexperienced and perhaps like a recruiters wet-dream. you'll be promised the sun and the moon by fast-talking used-car salesmen (recruiters) and will be handed much, much, much less. Bank on that. You gotta open your eyes more before making just a leap of faith. Get everything - to the line-item detail - in WRITING before you enroll. Then still expect to be bent over backwards (paying for your own uniforms, equipment & alot of other being nickled & dimed by good old Uncle Sam).

Granted, you do have some leverage as enrollment is utterly pathetic and at an all time low. They're bribing and begging to get re-enlists & new recruits. But it comes at cost - often hidden. For example a 30-year old officer having served 8 years and a few tours in the middle east would be offered for example $90k to reenlist (which would go right into a divorce settlement)... they're bringing in unqualified enlistees directly out of basic training right into special ops training. So you are negotiating in a position of strength... you can be a big fish in a little pond very quickly if you have such a burning desire. I just don't get that from what i read.

Do yourself a favor and become much more informed. There are great opportunities in the military but also many more possible pitfalls. You are cherry-picking the potential positives.

For example you are not thinking about a family but already are planning to get married. I'd say you're waaay too young to be engaged but ignore that unsolicited advice for a second. Guess what, your wife will want kids sooner than later and probably will struggle at home with babies while you're traveling to save the world. Fact... she'll be lonely while you're out for months. Lets even assume best case scenario where you two don't wander and stay connected mentally & physically as a couple. Is she cut out to be subservient in every way to #1 the US Navy and #2 her "officer husband"? Also your kids are dragged from port to port with no stability, relatives or grandparents to help your wife raise them. To pay off some student loans and some other, possible perks you sacrifice alot... assuming you never touch combat. Then sometime you sit on a submarine - the excitement & travel long quickly becomes "work" and tiresome. The carrot is always dangling in front of you. YMMV. Good luck... glen

PS - your "fiancé" can't really travel anywhere unless you're married.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 11:48 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Anyone here in the US Navy?

IN THE NAVY-VILLAGE PEOPLE
Where can you find pleasure, search the world for treasure,
learn science, technology?
Where can you begin to make your dreams all come true
on the land or on the sea?
Where can you learn to fly, play in sports or skindive,
study oceanography?
when your team and others meet.

In the Navy, yes, you can sail the seven seas.
In the Navy, yes, you can put your mind at ease.
In the Navy, come on now people, make a stand.
In the Navy, can't you see we need a hand.
In the Navy, come on, protect the motherland.
In the Navy, come on and join your fellow, man.
In the Navy, come on, people, and make a stand.
In the Navy, in the Navy.

They want you! They want you! They want you as a new recruit!

If you like adventure don't you wait to enter
the recruiting office fast.
Don't you hesitate, there is no need to wait;
they're signing up new seamen fast.
Maybe you are too young to join up today
but don't you worry 'bout the thing
for I'm sure there will be always the good Navy
protecting the land and sea.

In the Navy...

..But..but..but I'm afraid of water!
..hey..hey..look, men...
I get seasick even watching it on the TV!
They want You! - Oh my goodness!
They want you! - What am I gonna do in a submarine?
They want you! They want you!
In the Navy.

In the Navy... (fade out)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 12:11 PM

I was in the U.S. Navy for 5 years active ,and an additional 3 years reserve. It was the best decision I have ever made. I served during Operation Enduring Freedom as a SWCC Operator. It was hard, it was tough, it was uncomfortable... I saw people who were hell bend on my destruction. I got to work with Sailors and Marines that I will never forget. But it made me appreciate the country we live in. It made me understand what sacrifice is. The military is a calling. It is a stand for something greater than yourself. It is a commitment by a group of individuals to serve as a team, and put the sanctity of our way of life over ones self desires.

My only advice would be to talk to all of the services. Find out what you are looking for, go to the service that will get you there. If you want any advice PM me.

AE2 (NAC/SWCC) Souther
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
just like a college student of today, you need to THINK ABOUT A CAREER (job path) before you actually begin. You just don't go to school, float by for 4-5 years, get some me-too degree and hope to get a good job. That would be a longshot. This is a reality of 2008 & beyond guys.

ditto for the military.

no offense, but you're young, inexperienced and perhaps like a recruiters wet-dream. you'll be promised the sun and the moon by fast-talking used-car salesmen (recruiters) and will be handed much, much, much less. Bank on that. You gotta open your eyes more before making just a leap of faith. Get everything - to the line-item detail - in WRITING before you enroll. Then still expect to be bent over backwards (paying for your own uniforms, equipment & alot of other being nickled & dimed by good old Uncle Sam).

Granted, you do have some leverage as enrollment is utterly pathetic and at an all time low. They're bribing and begging to get re-enlists & new recruits. But it comes at cost - often hidden. For example a 30-year old officer having served 8 years and a few tours in the middle east would be offered for example $90k to reenlist (which would go right into a divorce settlement)... they're bringing in unqualified enlistees directly out of basic training right into special ops training. So you are negotiating in a position of strength... you can be a big fish in a little pond very quickly if you have such a burning desire. I just don't get that from what i read.

Do yourself a favor and become much more informed. There are great opportunities in the military but also many more possible pitfalls. You are cherry-picking the potential positives.

For example you are not thinking about a family but already are planning to get married. I'd say you're waaay too young to be engaged but ignore that unsolicited advice for a second. Guess what, your wife will want kids sooner than later and probably will struggle at home with babies while you're traveling to save the world. Fact... she'll be lonely while you're out for months. Lets even assume best case scenario where you two don't wander and stay connected mentally & physically as a couple. Is she cut out to be subservient in every way to #1 the US Navy and #2 her "officer husband"? Also your kids are dragged from port to port with no stability, relatives or grandparents to help your wife raise them. To pay off some student loans and some other, possible perks you sacrifice alot... assuming you never touch combat. Then sometime you sit on a submarine - the excitement & travel long quickly becomes "work" and tiresome. The carrot is always dangling in front of you. YMMV. Good luck... glen

PS - your "fiancé" can't really travel anywhere unless you're married.
I know that i am cherry picking because that is the only side i have heard. I wanted to get some real information from people who have been in the navy.

I understand they need people to enlist and that they are trying to pray on inexperience. I am not just going to jump into anything.

I do/did have a career path. I was going to get my business degree and then go to school to get my technical certification for wind turbines. There are several problems with that plan though. I will own close to 35,000 in student loans (family wasn't poor enough to get more aid or rich enough to help me pay) then i would add at least another 10,000 probably more like 15,000 because i would have to move to go to tech school. I could owe as much as 50,000 by the time i am done with school. I live in an area where medium income isn't much more then 45,000 (granted that i would make more with a degree) and then i would have to try and get a loan for housing, pay bills and pay student loans. I could do it but what would it mean? I could move to find better work but how could i move or search else where if i don’t have any money to search?

I am concerned about the risk involved with that path. I know you have to take risks to get anywhere in life but i would like to build a cushion to land in if things fall through. With that path it would be an all or nothing kind of thing. What happens if i can't work, get laid off or something else? I lose everything simply because I have so much i owe and nothing to back me.

ON the other hand things could go great. I could find a company that would train me and let me advance quickly or changes companies and work my way up from there. Everything could be great and i could do very well. The numbers tell me other wise but they don’t measure me as a person against others.

Your right Glen , the traveling is hard on a family and I would have to be married for her to be able to come a long. We have talked about kids, and it is something that we agree wont happen until later if at all. She is strong and I know she could deal with it, it would give her a chance to finish off her education which is very important to her. In the end we both know that we want to be together but we both want certain things out of life and if that means splitting so be it. Life is too short to be stuck in something that isn't getting you where you want to be in life.

On that note for me i feel that the Navy route would give me a launching point.

I am not going to lie to anyone. I have an ego and i like to be challenged. I want to be successful because i know it is in me to be successful. I take pride in my education and learning new things. I want to be able to actually do something that is meaningful and that hopefully will better not only my life but others as well. I feel that this is the greatest thing any person can do in their life. At this point i am trying to figure out how to get there. I don’t have anyone around me that can offer the "been there done that" advice because believe me i would listen. There is no sense in me making mistakes that others have made.

In the end i know what i want out of life i just dont know how to get there.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 06:10 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Anyone here in the US Navy?

I would post an opinion but it would be too political, and cause waaaaaaaaaay too much controversy...Having said that I agree with Glen. Whatever you do I hope it all turns out for the best and that your life stays positive. But, either way, like Aretha says "You better think about the consequences of your actions"

Tags
job advice navy military

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

what's the us navy like

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode