Anyone into comic books? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 12
Red face Anyone into comic books?

If so, what's your favorite company, superhero, artist, etc

I'm a DC guy myself, Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, Warlord, Wonder Woman, Batman, Hawkman...Dick Giordano was my favorite DC artist

For Marvel there was nothing cooler than Conan The Barbarian, and John Buscema, Ernie Chan, and Rudy Nebres were my favorite artists there...

All time fave...Superman!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 07:25 PM

Re: Anyone into comic books?

Big time comic fan. It started as a kid when my dad would buy them for me (although secretly I think he was getting them for himself and telling my mum they were for me, same thing he did with the original Star Wars toys and movies).

All time fave is Silver Surfer (all though I think the origin story is OK, the 70's stuff was poor story wise, the late 80's was the classic period for me, although the new limited run stuff is really good too - in fact I'm surprised they're still doing short runs, I'd of thought he'd be more popular since the Fantastic 4 movie [which I thought was OK, but everyone way preferred the Silver Surfer bits in the movie compared to the actual Fantastic 4!]).

Other than that Batman, Iron Man (haven't seen the movie yet), and Spiderman (I thought the movies were really poor, especially Spiderman 3).

Also, I used to read Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I'm not sure if many people are aware, but TMNT started out pretty hardcore, proper stories with kills and swords going in the necks and blood spatters and stuff. Then the cartoons started and it when all kiddie friendly.

I liked the Daredevil graphic novel penned by Kevin Smith, but never really got into that character past that. Sgt. Rock is OK too.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Red face Re: Anyone into comic books?

My old man collected comic books from 68-86 there abouts and we used to go to all the conventions in Philly and NY. I have the collection now, and share the comics thing with my kids...

The 70's were my hey day, although I did get into a lot of the stuff in the 80's.
John Buscemas' Silver Surfer was awesome. I loved the tragic life Silver Surfer led, so much pain...

My son loves Spider-Man and Batman. We watch all the cartoons together as well. I'm a big cartoon buff
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 07:48 PM

I LOVE COMICS!!!! I started out reading Legion Of Super-Heroes and Mike Grell is my all time favorite artist. I have to say I was really impressed with the Legion appearring in Action comics the last few months and Gary Frank's art has been astounding.
Definitely a bigger DC fan, but I still pick up a lot of Marvel stuff. Right now I am really looking forward to Final Crisis and Secret Invasion. Both should be fantastic summer reads.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
I loved the tragic life Silver Surfer led, so much pain...
Exactly, it was really deep and insightful. There's supposed to be a new Silver Surfer movie in production, I hope they focus on this side of it, then it would rock, not go all out kiddie like Fantastic 4 & Spiderman.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johliatay View Post
Mike Grell is my all time favorite artist.
He was my Fathers' fave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk-27 View Post
Exactly, it was really deep and insightful. There's supposed to be a new Silver Surfer movie in production, I hope they focus on this side of it, then it would rock, not go all out kiddie like Fantastic 4 & Spiderman.
Unfortunately to make it as successful as possible it will have to have an element of kiddieness to it...
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 08:56 PM

Reviews: 6

Always was a Marvel/indie guy. Ghost Rider, The Punisher, X-men/Wolverine. There's loads of good stuff out there. Don't follow it much any more. Don't have the cash.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 09:06 PM

Reviews: 120

I collected "The Phantom" comic books when I was a kid. Still got them all, 2 or 3 shoe boxes full. What was so cool about The Phantom was the mythology that he never died, but really was just a normal bloke who passed the mantle of the Phantom down to a son each time.

Also dug stuff out of the DC and Marvel worlds. Enjoy a bunch of manga and other graphic novels too. Although I don't actually buy that much these days.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 10:19 PM

I like a lot of the superhero books like Batman, Iron Man, X-Men and the offshoots like Cable and the Wolverine series. I also really dig some of the "alternative" books like Global Frequency, Sandman and The Watchmen.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

The other thing I really got into was the underground comic scene. Kitchen Sink Publications and Rip Off Press. Robert Crumb, Basil Wolverton, Gilbert Shelton.
Mr. Natural, The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, all kinds of crazy stuff...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabulou...Freak_Brothers
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 01:03 PM

I love comics... I just don't have time or money for them anymore.

Silver Sable is obviously my favorite from the big companies. I'm also into Wonder Woman (the second one, not so much the 50's one).

But my all time favorites are pretty much anything Garth Ennis does. His newest collection "the Boys" is one of the most outrageous, disgusting, perverted, and hilarious things I've ever read.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 04:16 PM

If you're a fan of the Iron Man comics, the movie is the closest comic to movie adaption I've seen yet. Not only the story, but the way it's done just flows like the comics do.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 09:32 AM

I've heard good things about Iron Man too...
I'm a great fan of the Batman graphic novels (Years One and Two, The Dark knight Returns, Killing Joke etc.) but I really like the stuff by Alan Moore. I know he thinks all the film adaptations of his stories are rubbish but I'm really looking forward to Watchmen ( http://rss.warnerbros.com/watchmen/ )
Jim
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 10:00 AM

I was into them somewhat during the late 80s to early 90s. I sold most of them, but I held on to a few. I've still got the Batman set where Jason Todd dies. "A Death in the Family" I think it was called.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:14 PM

I was pretty big into them when i was a kid. Started with Fantastic Four, a bit of The Hulk, Spiderman, and Iron Man, but once i discovered the Silver Surfer, it was the end. I have the hardcover book with the original 18 issues, and those are still my favorites. I never read any of the short-lived second series, but when the third series came out in the 90's i collected about the first 100 before i stopped.
I was actually collecting the Simpsons comics when they first started coming out, but stopped with those too.
The only thing i have l left is the hardcover Surfer book.

I never got into DC or any other companies, it was always Marvel 100%

Tags
zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode