Anyone run a site purely for advertising? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Anyone run a site purely for advertising?

I'm considering creating a site with the intention of making some money from advertising sometime in the future. I know next to nothing about it, so I would really appreciate any information from anyone, that's if anyone here is doing anything similar.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 08:09 PM

Re: Anyone run a site purely for advertising?

I don't run a site for advertising purposes, but I have run and developed many sites and still operate a couple of fairly busy sites. I think it depends on a couple of things. Why are people going to come to your site? It is WAY more difficult to get people to visit a site than most realize. The competition to get people to a particular site is fierce. You have to be very unique in what you offer and do an excellent job of presenting it. Secondly, if you are able to put together a site that can garner lots of traffic, what do you intend on advertising? Is it just general banner/link ads or is it something more specific where you're going to seek out advertising clients? I realize this doesn't really answer your questions, but I'm simply trying to get you to think about a couple of these things since I've had several people talk to me about doing something similar.

I would visit some similar busy sites ( as what you want ) and see what ads they run, decipher why people visit their site over others, and do some solid research on how much it costs to run a busy server. It can be expensive and time consuming if you do it all yourself, but it's possible to do it successfully.

Best of luck with it!
paul
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information Paul, very helpful indeed. I had actually thought of asking you a few questions as I know you run John Petrucci's site as well as the RMA site, not forgetting to mention your site which is presented very well.

I have a few ideas at the moment, but I still need to do much more research, I was originally intending to go for banner ads, I'm not familiar with how to go about gaining advertising clients, not exactly sure how it differs from just having link/banner ads either.

Thanks.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 12:52 AM

Advertising for yourself? Or just to run ads and make money?

I am helping someone build a website - an online programmer's community (like slashdot), which he will advertise his web hosting service on. He has wanted to do a website like that for years, so it's both something he wanted to do and it helps better his business.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 03:34 AM

did you all hear of that one gauy who started a sited called million dollar ads, or sumthin like that, and sold sets of 100 mega pixels ( or sumthin like that) for a dollar each mega pixel, and when it came down to the last set of pixels, he sold it on **** and got like 30k for it, . some college kid came up with this dump ass ideaa and make a million dolars of it.

Tags
john petrucci

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode